Ultimate Auradin Guide [Dragondin, Tesladin, Frostdin, Auradin, etc.]

@Dragostini

Wow, thanks for sharing your build idea and testing.
Also thanks, glad to hear it gets some appreachiation :slight_smile:

I personally havenā€™t tested Beast on a Tesladin, because I tried to look more into the pulse damage. But Crescent Moon won me over due to static, which makes him good for p5+ lobbies.

I wouldnā€™t put Dream on your Merc, because it doesnā€™t provide you with anything and your synergies do not apply on him. So the only thing you do is, buff his elemental melee damage.

@Swordsman

The Dragondin will kill faster or as fast as the Javazon on P1, beyond that the Javazon will outperform the Dragondin by a mile.
The most fun for P8 is a Tesladin, but you can also get a Dragondin or Auradin working on P8 with the right gear, but donā€™t expect them to be crazy good, like a Light- or Blizz-Sorc or Hammerdin.

@ardoxgg

Crown of Ages with 2 firefacets is actually the best of both worlds, good damage and good res, additionally +2 Skill. Would say thatā€™s a good deal. Flickering Flame ā€œjustā€ counterweights the Sunder Charm.

You only need 24 conviction, because that gives you the -resistance and also max radius.

The only thing you need for any auradin, is either infinity, or kill the immunes, but sure you can do whatever you feel like benefits your playstyle.
My main goal was, to kill mainly with the pulse damage, but you can also go for an elemental zealer, where might does benefit you quite a bit.

You can spend more points into zeal (thatā€™s what I do) and yea, I also carry a few AR charms. But I play mainly p1-p3 and just kill them with my pulse aura.

But those are just my 2 cents

What weapon do you use?

Iā€™m not against that, because your boss killing potential is awesome.
But I think you lose a lot of what makes the Dragondin so great.
He has a huge AOE, but now you rely on your mercā€™s infinity and the radius is quite small.

3 Likes

Hello everyone, I will try to combine my paladin with zeal and fanaticism using dual dragons and hand of justice and keep the other items, changing only the mercenary to migth with infinity + fortitude and andriel visage.

I want to see how he is on the field.

Great post, Iā€™ve been doing some similar testing for a while on these builds. Figured Iā€™d share some of the things Iā€™ve found:

Full Gris set:

I noticed you put this under budget for self holy shock but if you use 5/5 facets everywhere Iā€™d argue itā€™s as good as any of the other gg setups. Using infinity Merc on Maxroll it can hit 100k dps using p8 listor as the enemy. Holy.shock aura is about level 38 using full inventory of skillers and light sunder.

Biggest issue for gris setup is obviously no tele so the conviction aura is always active but it does clear baal waves in a similar time to some of your other options.

Another problem with Gris set is itā€™s impossible to hit the final zeal ias BP unless you sacrifice alot of your facets or infinity Merc. Doing this massively decreases the dps, best ive been able to hit is the 109 BP using sigons (30ias gloves.+boots) highlords and shael rune with three facets in the weapon.

Now for the positive, you donā€™t have to worry about resistances where as the setups youā€™ve mentioned above; Cres moon, beast Caduceus, grief (even stormlash which Iā€™ve tried and will mention again later) with enigma, Griff and faceted shield all struggled with resistances unless you have some tri res boots and gg rings with resistances.

Full Gris set also works for self holy fire but suffers like all fire builds for reasons mentioned throughout this thread.

Self holy freeze also works but just canā€™t hit the same dps due to the nature of the holy freeze skill.

Quite enjoy playing the full Gris setups, next iteration of this Iā€™ll be trying with teleport charges amulet and see how.it goes having.conviction up all the time.

Ideal weapon for self holy shock:

In my testing Ive tried just about everything, faceted phase blade, plague, grief, cresent moon, grief, phoenix phase blade, last wish, stormlash, lightsabre and beast Caduceus with +3 holy shock on p8.
I think Iā€™ve come to the same conclusion as you, CM is the go for p8 games and the key reason being static field. Static field is what gives this build aoe in p8 games. The pulse damage is nice to have but most of the time it barely tickles the monsters.

I mentioned stormlash earlier, I thought it would be superior to CM given it has added light dmg as well as a higher ctc static field. I havent done the calcs to see which weapon procs static more but with stormlash at 60 ias BP and CM at the highest IAS BP i found CM better. Stormlash is difficult to hit itā€™s second last bp of 109ias and almost impossible for its final at 149 ias without sacrificing dmg.
On top of this I think dracs is almost mandatory for the build when soloing p8 and the final zeal BP helps to proc life tap.

Now that being said for a dual dreamer and a using a faith Merc stormlash wins out easily and brings the duel dream clear speed pretty close to a gg self holy shock build. It feels really nice, especially with the crushing blow it has.

Sorry for the wall of text! Just thought Iā€™d add to what youā€™ve done.
Super pumped I can finally talk to someone about all the testing ive done on this lol.

2 Likes

No need to apologize. Iā€™m always happy to see someone testing and giving my suggested builds a different spin on them.
(especially the Budget Tesladin, because ngl Iā€™m kinda proud of that one)

Yea, I tried that as well, but IMO he still loses out against Light immunes, because you are missing the conviction most of the time. Thought due to all the -res, itā€™s not that big of a deal.

12x 5/5 Light facets are far more expensive than a full Tesladin gear set. But indeed fun to play around offline.

I havenā€™t tested the Bugdet Tesladin with any other weapon. So thanks for that.
But glad to hear, that you can confirm my (not only my) testings as well.

Yea, any Auradin variant needs Dracs for P8, I also suggest to look into Nosferatu and perhaps a Dual Leech Ring. Those arenā€™t really designed for P8 lobbies IMO

No, Javazon is much more efficient than any auradin build. Unfair comparison lol

Loved the ideia of Crown of Ages, didnt think of that. My paladin is builded for Dragondin now, and i have to say that this is much more stronger and fun than what i thought. For killing on are pulse purpose, itā€™s just perfect.

When i build it for MF (Chances Guards + War Traveler + Goldwrap), itā€™s very squishy and dependaple on pots, even on players 1. But it can do it, even players 8 if you are aware all the time.

If builded more tanky (Draculs + String of Ears + Tri resist boots), it becomes a very complete build, being safe and having nice damage.

Creating Hydras on attack with Zeal is very fun, beautiful build to watch playing.

When i get a CoA, i pretend to use - little less damage than a helm with 3 facets, a more versatile tankiness than Flickering Flame. Seems the right helm for the build. Along with String of Ears can hold a very reasonable physical damage, and the fire resistance lost from Resist Fire can be acquired with charms, specially because the build doesnā€™t use Skiller Charms, having lots of space on inventory.

For the ones who doensā€™t played with it, for some notion of power level, I went to Travincal P8 while waited guys getting the leg for Cow Level. A Mosaic Sin came and made me thought that Dragondin totally sucks on damage lol Itā€™s maybe the strongest build of the game right now, itā€™s unfair to compare, but it deals much more damage than this paladin build.

1 Like

Well, if its not obvious, I am using Hand of Justice in my dragon setup and currently coa as well. Resists are real female dog, one needs to accumulate dozens allress charms to change for flickering and Im not rushing it. Good point that you dont need much skillers.

Eeeeh, on P1 I would say, potentially no.
Because as a Dragondin you just charge through and donā€™t need to stop. The only thing which might slow him down, is the 2 sec pulse rate.

A Javazon has faster, or similar as fast of movementspeed but has to stop to throw a spear.
Also she has harder times to kill immunes.

But beyond P1, Javazon is Superior.

Mkay, you convinced me to put it. Ty

Yep. I think those would be unrealistic expectations.

Totally agree. Dragondin is one of the best builds to farm on Players1. Except for keys, that i think teleport is very important, farming cow level or even sanctuary is very fast, he just melts everything only with aura pulse.

It actually gave lots of xp for my lvl 92 paladin, just reached 93.

3 Likes

Hi people. Came back to the Tesladin self Holy Shock build. Still donā€™t know whatā€™s the right weapon for him - Crescent Moon or Beast.

Iā€™ll do more tests to find out this question.

Any more opinions on this? fasthawk seems to have made lots of tests with them.

Anyway, a new runeword made specifically for this build, working on scepters, would be very welcome. Please, Blizzard, make Tesladin strong.

1 Like

Actually, thinking about a runeword for Tesladin, I think would be really nice something like this:

Scepter - Jah Ohm Shael Zod Jah

• 20% CHANCE TO CAST LEVEL 20 STATIC FIELD ON ATTACK
  • 20% CHANCE TO DEAL ONE AURA PULSE DAMAGE OF YOUR ACTIVE AURAS ON STRIKING
  • 20% CHANCE TO CAST LEVEL 20 THUNDER STORM WHEN STRUCK
  • INDESTRUCTIBLE
  • +40% INCREASED ATTACK SPEED
  • +300-400% ENCHANCED DAMAGE
  • IGNORE TARGETā€™S DEFENSE
  • +500 TO ATTACK RATING
  • 7% LIFE STOLEN PER HIT
  • -40% TO ENEMY LIGHTNING RESISTANCE
  • +20% TO LIGHTNING SKILL DAMAGE
  • +25% DAMAGE TO THE PULSE OF YOUR ACTIVE AURAS
  • 50% REDUCED TIME BETWEEN AURA PULSES OF YOUR ACTIVE AURAS
  • +4 TO HOLY SHOCK (PALADIN ONLY)
  • +3 TO ZEAL (PALADIN ONLY)
  • LEVEL 20 TELEKINESIS (100/100 CHARGES)

Even a new unique gloves with points to Zeal and attack speed, like:

• +3 TO ZEAL (PALADIN ONLY)
  • 20% INCREASED ATTACK SPEED
  • 3-10% LIFE STOLEN PER HIT
  • ADDS 20-40 DAMAGE
  • +5-10 TO ALL ATTIBUTES
  • +200-300 TO ATTACK RATING

Would be pretty nice to buff alternative builds and make them Tier A.

EDIT:

Hi people.

Now I wanna try the Frostdin and compare it with Ice Bowazon.

Wouldnā€™t Doom be the best weapon for him? 40% cold resist reduction is huge. 60% is GG.

Shame it canā€™t be made on Scepters. Some little alterations would give players much fun.

Ok ā€¦ So I decided on dragondin build.

I have dual dragon(pally SR 40@, Archon Plate) COA with dual Fire facets and a Phase Blade HOJ. I also have 10ll dracs(best?). Iā€™ll run at least 1 raven and plan a BK 5LL.
I plan to run conviction and zeal and need to also understand Merc. People like faith for IAS but that shouldnā€™t be necessary with certain IAS.

Goal is to do least mele possible while allowing auras to kill

What Iā€™m unclear about is what is the best gear and why for the following:

1. Amulet - metalgrid for res? Or highlord for IAS? Other? What IAS breakpoint am I looking for? 72?

2. Boots? Just looking for FRW and res? What else?

3. Belt? Whatā€™s the point of arach? Donā€™t need FCR. Does the extra skill matter? Better to do string of ears or something? And why?

How do any of these choices impact Merc type and gear? Whatā€™s the best Merc for damage of auras?

I can afford just about anything but Iā€™m also not going crazy. Any help would be appreciated but Iā€™m trying to understand the WHY to a lot of these questions.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Iā€™m responding mostly in hopes more educated folks will contribute (set me right)

I am far from an expert, on anything D2R, but I hate seeing no responses, so Iā€™ll take a stab at it and see who shows up to correct me.

Sidebar;
I do not currently have a Dragondin, and when I did have one he was not optimal (and I knew even less about D2) and Sunders were not in the gameā€¦ so itā€™s been a whileā€¦ and I was judging him against an ok built Tesaladinā€¦ and I really like melee style of playā€¦
So take that all into consideration when I start giving ā€œadviceā€.
Nowā€¦ I have gathered a lot of stuff over that last ~2 years and am considering making a DragonDin again.
With the amount of Fire immune monsters in the game, Iā€™m guessing you are going to end up with a Fire Sunderā€¦ so, thatā€™s at least -70 to your fire res.
Personally, I like high resistances, so, gear is going to be based on off-setting the Sunder

1. Ammy, thinking Maraā€™s for +skills and @resā€¦ MetalGrid would be a good alternateā€¦ I think HighLords is awesome for melee, butā€¦ you want Aura Damage, so, Maraā€™s with +2 and @res.
    Quite certain 72IAS is the answer for a PhaseBlade (without Fanata).
  2. Boots, thinking Aldurā€™s for 40frw(fastest in game?) and 40-50 fire res (with decent Maraā€™s/MetalGrid you should offset the Sunder)ā€¦ +50 life certainly doesnā€™t hurtā€¦ maybe Wartravā€™s if magic find is more important to you.
  3. Belt, guessing Arach for +skillsā€¦ All my melee guys wear SoE for the damage reduce and life stealā€¦ You will probably will want a TGods (and/or WispProjector) in stash for dealing with Souls.

Since none of that stuff has IAS, Iā€™m guessing Faith Merc will be beneficialā€¦
Because;
If he ends up being anything like a Tesladin (which I do have, lvl99) I suspect heā€™s going to be more efficient if he focuses on adding melee to the game rather than solely being Mr. Fire-Killer-Guyā€¦
If so, youā€™ll likely end up with HighLords, GoreRiders, LoH and SoE/Verdungo/Arachā€¦

Not sure what guides you have looked at, but most ignore Cleansing, Redemption and Salvationā€¦ I would not build a Pally without those skills.

No clue on Merc.
I am loyal to Act1 Mercā€¦ specifically the Cold variant.
I think self running Conviction is the way I would lean as well.

Than your setup is really easy.
HOJ, dual Dragon, a 3 Faceted Helmet/Diadem and Sunder Charm.
You donā€™t need more, because soft skills do not matter for the Aura.
The rest can be MF, Res, Leech, whatever you want.

I personally run MF gear:
Gold Wrep, Nagil Ring(s), War Trev, Chansies, Gheeds and MF Amu (or Metal Grid for the @res)

P8 gear would be like:
COA with 2 Facets, Highlords, Gore Riders, Verdungos or String of ears, Dracs, Raven Frost and Dual leech Ring

For Merc:
I personally really like the Act5 Merc, with plague and crecent moon (iirc Lawbringer gets canceled out by plague, but not certain about that).
Fortitude or CoH, Arreat Face.

But you could also go for an Act 2 Mec, with a Reapers Toll, CoH and Andy Face

Sounds like you want to go for a high mobility Dragondin, which is great for Rune and Base farming. But keep in mind, at some point faster r/w doesnā€™t boost you that much more.

Aldurs Boots is indeed a very good option here, because of the fire res. But Tearhaunch for the +10 @res and a little bonus +2 Vigor.
I think the a Diadem or Tiara with +30 F R/W and 3 Facets is also very usefull (I baught mine for like 2 and a half Ber)
If you want, you can even equip Catā€™s eye and Mā€™avinaā€™s Tenet.

For Merc, Harmony bow, but IMO isnā€™t worth it, because she wonā€™t be able to keep up with you charging around.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been thinking about this and trying to collect gear for my Auradin to kill with only Aura. I donā€™t think this would be the highest Aura damage though if that is your goal unless Iā€™m wrong.

So Iā€™m looking for a +3 Holy shock 4os Scepter for HoJ. My Pally will run Holy Shock and the 2 Dragon/HoJ. Maybe people donā€™t think about this cause of maxing 2 Resist Auras?

So Helm ideally is a +3 offensive socket for 5/5 fire facets for the Dragondin set up. +3 offensive ammy, soj, arach, skill charms etc. The goal is 40+ Holy Shock to compliment the Holy fire Dragondin who is doing 6135-7302.

With a 40 Holy shock (4- 3595) with the 44 Holy fire auras (6135-7302) = 6139-10,897

So wouldnā€™t this be by far the highest Auradin for pulse damage? I then want to go Holy Freeze Merc with Infinity. That is just gravy to have the slow for anything that survives and then gets Conviction.

The annoying part of Holy Shock is the min damage. So combined with Holy Fire itā€™s the best of both worlds.

At least this is the idea I have for a true Auradin. Using my weapon bothers me and enemies should fall due to my presence. The Auraā€™s should do all the killing.

A good idea. Personally, the fact that you do not have teleport and have to wait for your Merc to get here, makes me dislike the idea (same reason why I ranked the Holy Fire Dragondin so low). Additionally, your max damage can only be achieved in 13.3 yards around your Merc, not around yourself, especially without teleport.

Against Hell cows being in range of your Merc would be:
Fire Damage 4482-5334
Shock Damage 1-2427
in Total 4483-7761

Against Hell cows being outside of the range of your Merc would be:
Fire Damage 2100-2499
Shock Damage 1-899
in Total 2101-3398

I would rank that setup between the Dragondin and the Holyfire Dragondin (#3).
because you have the advantage of 2 elemental damages, but less consistent damage and less min damage (by 1652) .
Also, because you got different numbers here, my guess is you used the training Dummy to calculate, as well didnā€™t use both Sunder Charms. (I donā€™t use the training Dummy, because the numbers are much higher and doesnā€™t count the resistentes of Hell difficulty. I use Cows because they do not have hard resistences, like in CS or World Stone Keep)

But when you donā€™t mind waiting for your Merc, you could run a Shockerdin and exchange Enigma with a 4 faceted Armor. But IMO not worth it

Against Hell cows being in range of your Merc would be:
Shock Damage 6-8072

Against Hell cows being outside of the range of your Merc would be:
Shock Damage 3-4151

If you want to achieve that, go with a Dragondin. He is just the best Auradin hands down.
The Zeus build is also damn nice, but very expensive and not that much better than the Dragondin.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™m following. I am going with a Dragondin but adding Holy Shock. The build is just a Dragondin + Holy Shock. Then since you got + 3 Shock HoJ and heavy skills the Shock just adds to the power of the Dragondin. Creating a true Auradin.

While true but was hoping to not rely on Merc for most killing. He is just the bonus to the build. His HF to slow enemies to a crawl and add conviction for the tough ones. So wasnā€™t thinking of needing teleport. Just for champ packs.

No just have on Fire Sunder cause itā€™s a Dragondin. The Holy Shock is just the 2nd Aura and too significantly boost the Dragondinā€™s Holy Fire. I used your Dragondinā€™s numbers then just am adding Holy Shock. I guess Iā€™m just doing napkin math.

Thanks for the response and thoughts as I figure you were a good source to run these ideas past as I slowly try to attain the gear.

Your damage on the best case scenario would be 4483-7761
The Dragondins damage is 6135-7302 and that consistently.
So you do 1652min damage less, and 459max damage more.

The difference here are the 3 fire facets, with the 3 fire auras which boots the damage so much. So you have -15 fire res and 15% fire damage on 3 auras!
You sacrifice quite a lot of damage, for getting another element in (in itself is a good idea), but you only get 1 Aura in, with less of a reach and less consistency, because merc is always behind.

If he is just a bonus, you would do less damage than a Tesladin with the aura, and just a bit more than a Frostdin. With that setup, you would rely on your Merc to be near by.

Yea, no that doesnā€™t work, because you have a different helmet and the Dragondin setup selfcasts his conviction. Your setup needs Infinity. So there are different -res values and ingame a difference in kill speed.

Glad to hear :slight_smile:
I always recommend a Dragondin, because cheaper, stronger and has the largest AOE.

2 Likes

I plan on using fire facets maybe I wasnā€™t clear enough about that. I definitely want to boost the 3 Auras as they are the main power and damage. The Holy shock is just too boost the Dragondin.

Same helmet just not self casting conviction.

I was thinking with HoJ/Dragon, Fire facets the Aura would be pumping then the high level Holy Shock with the Holy Freeze/Conviction merc pulling up the back end.

I really am trying to make a full Dragondin with just a tweak in that the HoJ is + 3 Shock and stacking a 2nd Aura. Gear is mostly identical really. Just got to find the +3 since using HoJ anyway then going with O charms.

So in our discussion if I understand correctly. What makes Dragondin powerful is being reliant on conviction aura? Will that Aura really pull the build ahead instead of having a fully functioning high level Holy shock.

Just theorycrafting out loud. I enjoy playing around with this type of stuff and odd builds. Also like trying to do something different. :slight_smile:

I went with your previous post with the +3 offensive aura helmet. But if you go with a Standard Dragondin with a 3 faceted helmet and with a 36 Holy Shock aura (7 Offensive GC).
In the best case scenario, the total damage would be 5215-8294,
In the worst case scenario, the total damage would be 2608-3878, (excluding the damage falloff at distance for Holy Fire) against hell cows.

Yea, please donā€™t just follow a Meta, thatā€™s just boring. Come up with new ideas, which might change something, or make it your own (thatā€™s why I love the Frostdin so much :smiley: ).
Convictions helps the Dragondin a lot, because you are charging around most of the time, and when there are fire immunes, they would start to annoy me a lot. But indeed, most creatures which gets killed by the aura, arenā€™t even in range of the conviction aura. So itā€™s still good, but strong creatures will be far more noticable.
But I think your will kill them faster with your charge or zeal and Uber-Meph would be quite troublesome.

3 Likes