Tweaking Sunder Charms for better balance

Here’s how I’d rebalance Sunder Charms:

1. Sundered Monster’s still retain their 1/5th penalty to negative resistances from other sources (i.e. Infinity will only provide a -17% res instead of -86%). To compensate - have these charms set the monsters res to 90% instead of 95%.

2. Cold Mastery is now affected by the 1/5th penalty on sundered monsters (so It will be somewhere between -25% and -35% on previously cold-immune monsters)

3. Allow sunder to affect Traps/Hydras/ specific summons

4. Add some variability to sundered charms - perhaps -70 to -85% resistance penalty?

2 Likes

Here is how I would balance the sunder charms: remove them all. That’s the best way to balance them…

Jokes aside, it’s only really usefull for fire builds. Lets just remove all of them except for the one fire charm and nerf it a bit.

Something like, enemy resistance cannot be lower than 95% on previously immune monsters. Nothing can lower it under 95%, not even infinity.

-195% cold mastery is equal to about -40% resistance gear on any Fire or Lightning build…

In case you haven’t noticed, fire and lighting skills do a lot more damage than cold :rofl:

Too complicated.

Better is to have Sunder Charms not reduce resistance at all.

Just have it so Sunder charms allow all minus Resistances to break Immunities, and apply without 1/5 debuff.

Details here:
Ok, changes i would make to those charms (assuming they are a going live) - PTR Feedback - Diablo 2 Resurrected Forums (blizzard.com)

@jellyphant

you dont think to the end, sorry.
Everywhere i read “col=OP now” and no…it is not and you can test it already on the PTR.
Fire for example is in endgame with sunder-charm much stronger than cold.

Cold-Sorc has e.g. 8,5k Blizzard Dmg, Meteor+Ticks+2-3FBs between are (42k, 10,5k, 2-3x 22k)

With no other items the cold-sorc is stronger than the fire-sorc, because the -95% could be brought down to -80% resistance.

That would mean: around 15k dmg for Blizzard and around 6000k for Fire

Now the “but…” comes:

1.) Cold was always stronger than Fire (at mobs with no immunities)
2.) Fire is more flexible, targeting/speed and so on
3.) most important reason:

Cold dmg would be at “max” in this conclusion, no more way to add big damage!!!
→ THIS is SO important to understand!! Infinity/Conviction aura and so on…does not matter anymore for cold or in other terms only " a little bit", because you cant go under -100%!

But fire you can wear e.g. items with -resistance (infinity, helmet…rasha weapon).

No lets calculate again…the 6k dmg with 95%…we add infinity+rasha-set and we are on -100% resistance already, so 95-100= -5

The total 110000 fire dmg (Meteor+2sec Tick+3 Fireballs between Meteor) are now 115000 dmg in total. Even with only 1sec Tick and only 2 Fireballs its soooooo much more than the 16k Blizzard damage.

Because no big enemies have immunities, you wont hit the same mob often with more than 1 “shard”.

The calculation is not perfect, i dont want to waste too much time, but you all dont think to the end. Endgame FIRE is way stronger than cold, because you have easily more damage potential in endgame and you are more flexible and faster. (1 bad placed blizzard and you kill nothing for 2sec…)

not a bad idea! i didn’t think of this one

These would be good changes, although I would like to see the variable negative resistance range from -75% to -125%.

1 Like

Thanks! I’m hoping that the devs are listening.

1 Like