Time for Shrine Buffs to be permanent for their duration

I am not pushing against the idea of not having shrine buffs removed by curses, but against the idea of having shrine buffs last multiple games.
If you keep current durations, the utility, even for fast players, of keeping it active between games, is marginal.
If you increase durations, you massively increase the power of shrines.

1 Like

Most of the buff shrines don’t really matter. Combat and Defense shrines are nice, but none of the resistance shrines are anything to plan into your build; mana regen quickly becomes irrelevant as well. The only valuable shrine ends up being the experience shrine.

1 Like

i agree with this
but trivializing curses and mobs in consequence is not the way to fix this problem
we need more challenging mechanics and more ways to counter them

buff and debuff is one of the pillars of rpg gender
if you just dont like them…i dont know what to say

thats the point, no, it doesnt
at least for the majority
3 min is already a game’s duration, making it last more than that makes no difference for someone doing 3 min, seal pop CS runs, TZs, any key and etc

All of the damage amp curses (weaken, lower res, etc) are still extremely scary for players.

So is counterplay. Even poison has antidote pots. No such curse dispelling potion exists. Again, I’m not saying to remove debuffs, I’m saying that debuffs which make the game boring rather than challenging, and have no counterplay available to players, make the game worse.

:rofl:
14 more characters

That’s why current shrines need rework before adding new ones like op does

Perpetuating blizzard’s runeword tendency of adding more to a pool of garbage

Melee love

Especially for melee builds

those are examples that have conterplay
you can just stack more res against LR and use dracul’s and life tap takes aways any fear you can have of amp, fanat
weaken is meaningless and should be made more dangerous, the same for IM

ok, you find them boring, i find them great
i agree that we lack counters
i desagree that we should remove debuffs just bc we lack counters to them
if anything, we should be asking for more counters

It’s great when your character moves and attacks more slowly with absolutely no counterplay aside from porting back to town to talk to healer NPC? Like what? That’s not engaging, that’s not challenging, that’s only tedious.

3 Likes

nothing is more tedious than an easier game

anyway, cold already has a counter, CBF
the problem is how holy freeze is coded
it doesnt target the player but the area around the enchanted mob and CBF only works against cold that targets the player
they just have to make CBF work against aura effects, it makes no sense to not

for decrep, i agree, we need new ways to counter it

Yeah sure. But now shrines don’t remove curses and curses stack

1 Like

Sounds like a good trade off to me.

It’s like you want to miss the point. The countermeasure to decrepify is to stop playing the game, go back to town, clear it, and then continue playing the game. Trying to conflate combatting this effect with “making the game easier” is asinine and irrelevant. If debuffs are going to be a mainstay for specific types of enemies, then counterplay must exist for it.

There is currently no counterplay for decrepify, or for curses in general outside of some setup for a Salvation aura, even then it’s just a reduced duration. Unlike other curses, instead of making the player just take more damage, it also wastes the player’s time by literally slowing them down in terms of both movement speed and attack speed. Cannot be Frozen is an extremely valuable affix for melee because it prevents this effect from cold damage, and the effect renders a melee build virtually unplayable. It’s a bridge too far to call this engaging game mechanics. The cherry on top is that casters do not ever have to care about frozen or decrepify because it does nothing to slow them down.

It’s a bad effect.

1 Like

me? really?

your point is that you dont like it bc makes you go less pewpewpew and you cant do anything about it
my point is that i like it bc i go less pewpewpew but we should get more ways to counter it
who wins this preference dispute?
you dont have to ampute the arm to save the body in this case
just take the antibiotics
add ways to counter debuffs that dont have one

Wrong. That’s why your responses have been mostly irrelevant. I can’t even call you wrong because you’ve failed to understand the point enough to even be wrong about it.

are you sure?

tbh, i think i nailed it
when talking about decrep all you have said is

less pewpewpew + no counter = boring + should be removed

with “boring” being the worthless factor here bc its nothing but complete personal preference

anyway, i get it, you wanna go FTL with no stops
but i think thats the kind of mentality no rpg needs

No, you really don’t understand why it’s a problem with the game rather than just a problem for melee/IAS builds. Effects like frozen and decrep are zero sum debuffs. There is only being debuffed, and it’s overwhelming in its effect, or outright preventing the debuff. Cannot be Frozen affix does this for cold effects, but that still leaves decrep as a poorly implemented debuff that nullifies builds until it’s cleansed, and no reasonable means of preventing it exists in the game.

Your understanding of any of this is very surface level.

I don’t understand your argument. How would having time fixed shrines prevent you from removing curses when you find a shrine?

Hehehe, you know I had a similar idea. You know how curses and effects in general last longer in Hell mode? I was thinking that shrines effects should also last longer in Hell mode to encourage new players to play in Hell mode.

I also think stamina shrine should also increase your speed to a flat 100% throughout its duration.

Uh skill shrines are pretty nice. 2 extra points on everything. They’re my favorite one.

I already said I assumed he meant they wouldn’t affect each other. Meaning they couldn’t overwrite each other. If curses can’t overwrite buffs because they are now on a different system it seems logical that buffs couldn’t overwrite curses. But that’s not what Rev was saying.

It’s just whether you make it a two way street or a one way one.

I think you just misunderstood what OP was saying. He was not advocating for a mechanic to change how curses interact with shrines.