Thunderstorm Is Not Working If You Use It On Your Swap With No Hard Points

Hey there, I wanted to report a bug I noticed that really bothers me.

If you’re playing as sorc and have no hard skill points into Thunderstorm, then you gain +1-3 to Thunderstorm from a weapon, when you swap off of that weapon to your main the Thunderstorm animation around your character will still be working but it won’t actually do anything.

You can test this for yourself, just find a weapon that grants you Thunderstorm, have 0 Hard Skill Points in Thunderstorm, cast it with the weapon and swap off. It won’t kill a single Fallen in normal. I don’t know if this bug has been in the game forever or not. Really haven’t heard anyone talk about it. Hopefully somebody at blizz can look into this and correct it.

I would love for my little +2Chilling Armor +1Energy Shield +1Thunderstorm sorc orb I found to be as cool of an offhand as it looks haha. Sadly the +1Thunderstom is effectively useless. Looks cool though.

4 Likes

And what exactly is the bug ? That’s exactly how it is supposed to work (except the animation isn’t canceled ASAP).

Why?!?!
Battle orders doesn’t go away when you swap. Energy shield doesn’t. Enchant doesn’t. Venom doesn’t. None of the cold armors. Bone shield, Holy shield and Blade shield all still work.
Nothing else (excluding summons, they disappear) stops working when you swap off the weapon that granted the charge, if you have no hard skill points. Why does lightning storm become useless?

1 Like

I don’t know if it is handled consistently in D2R, but if use an item with a skill you have no hard points in, the effect is canceled AFAIK if you remove or swap out the item. :man_shrugging:

Take Call To Arms for example. A sorc obviously has no hard points into BO but when you swap off CTA the BO still applies for its duration. The same is true for everything that isn’t a summon, and Lightning Storm apparently.
I really think this is unintentional because the animation stays around your character for its duration, very similar to battle orders. If it was meant to stop working I would assume the animation would disappear once you swap as that is what happens to summons.

2 Likes

This is absolutely a bug! It should be cast and remain active, for it’s duration at the skill level at which it was cast even after the weapon swap. It is not doing that now, which is a bug. (Note, it did do it in patch 2.4 and prior).

2 Likes