The current state of Diablo II: Resurrected

Hello, I’m viral_dna (aka DNA64), and I’m one of the Admins of The Chaos Sanctuary Trading Discord.

We’re currently the largest Diablo 2 Resurrected Discord Community with over 50k members, and we’ve heard a lot of feedback from our users and wanted to share some of that feedback here with you all today.

First let me start of by saying I love the remake!

It’s a long, long! awaited dream come true to see the game get updated graphics, and I honestly had given up hope. Sure it’s not a perfect release, but with the help of the community, and strong voices like MrLlamaSC speaking out on our behalf, and by providing feedback to the developers, hopefully, we can turn things around for the better!

Please keep in mind I am sharing a lot of feedback and suggestions here from other members of the community.

TLDR; Here are some of the issues and things myself and other members of the community feel need addressing, some of these may have already been brought up before, and this is by no means a complete list.

Server Stability

There isn’t any! It’s fast becoming a meme with users creating games titled “WTB Working Servers”. One look at Blizzards Twitter account “@BlizzardCS” says it all. Thankfully a recent explanation would suggest they’re working on making improvements that would help with this. Only time will tell. So far the changes made, such as queues and delays on changing games have been quite an unpleasant experience for us all, sitting in lines of over 200 other players for 30+ minutes with no change in position.

Game Crashes

I’ve personally experienced more crashes in a single day, then I have during the entire Alpha/Beta Period.

• I’ve crashed joining games.

• I’ve crashed while creating games.

• I’ve crashed while idling in a game.

• I’ve crashed while using the waypoints.

• I’ve crashed using vendors.

• I’ve crashed using portals.

• I’ve basically crashed doing just about everything in this game.

Spam Bots in Lobbies Blizzard promised an original experience, and they delivered! Bots and all!

• Bots are flooding the channels with spam and there’s no moderation.

• The block option in the chat is broken and has no effect.

• In some cases, spam from ignored accounts is still visible.

Lobby Chat, Game Creation & Joining Games

• The lobby feels limited when compared to the original, and while you can thankfully create your own and even moderate private chat lobbies, by default there is only one visible public channel available. We’d like to see more public lobbies visible like it was before in D2/LOD (Diablo-II En-1, Diablo-II En-2).

• It would be nice to be able to create games with longer names for trading since many new players aren’t familiar with commonly used acronyms like script etc…

• Users that have several reports filed against them should be muted for a set period of time, such as 12-24 hours. This should ideally allow time for the reports to be checked and dealt with accordingly.

• We need an option to disable auto refresh of the available games or set the refresh rate ourselves, as games disappear before you can even join them and require effort to find again. Also, Games that are 3 hours old still appear in the list!

• Many games fail to fetch and retain their information unless you toggle between the [Player] and [Settings] tabs several times making it difficult to see how old the game is.

• Clarify temporary bans from creating or joining games, maybe tell players why they’re unable to join (Leaving and joining games too quickly) or display a cooldown timer or deactivate the buttons till the cooldown has worn off.

• When attempting to create a game, if the game already exists you will be temp banned for trying to create another game right afterwards. The same is true for trying to join a game that no longer exists.

• When creating a game during a temp ban, the game will sometimes be created, so when you go to create it again, it will say it already exists.

• There is a bug in the lobby where you can still create and join games, but no player characters will appear at the bottom and you’re unable to talk in the lobby until you fully exit and re-launch the game.

• There is a bug in the lobby where player characters will not show up, and you must fully exit and re-launch the game.

• There is an issue involving loading screen delay and the ability to move before the loading screen has completed. This has resulted in the deaths of many Hardcore characters.

• Show the last game name and password you were in, &/or provide an option to join the last game again. You could even have it auto filled with a button to clear and enter a new name.

In Game Chat

• Many of the original chat features are missing and the entire system feels broken and not properly integrated. Example, whispering users, looking up users, or viewing friends lists to see if they’re online and what game they’re in without having to go back to the lobby.

• We need a toggle to set the in-game chat window to the front or back or just fix the dam thing, since chat is hidden while trading requiring you to press enter to view it, which is super annoying and is being used to scam people in trades. One user made the suggestion to make chat like in Starcraft, where all chats appear like the whispers.

• Bring back the ability to use the ! chat feature in game to display chat over head as it was in D2.

• Teleporting is broken if you mouse is in a chat section.

• When sharing item specs in the chat using Shift + Left Click, the wrong items can be displayed. You may also see these item specs pop up when clicking on the WP in Act 1, this personally happened to me and was very confusing.

• Chat needs keyboard shortcuts or similar for changing between channels (Trade/All/Custom) to chat in when in game. Example: Enter to bring up chat, then tab or up/down arrow keys

Other In Game Issues

• Deckard Cain doesn’t ID items in the Cube as he did in the original game.

• Pressing Shift + # (Where # is 1,2,3,4) while you do not have a hired mercenary results in wasted pots being used.

• Pots can not be from within the cube, nor can they be Shift + Clicked to the belt.

• Pots can not be Shift + Clicked to the belt from the Stash Box.

• You can not Ctrl + Click items to the trade window, which makes trading items like 40 jewels or chips etc time consuming, especially when people close the trade window multiple times as you’re painstakingly transfer these items one by one. This is also being exploited by scammers who close the trade window hoping you’ll drop the item on the ground. A Ctrl + Click option here would prevent this!

Other Feature Suggestions

• Add ability to click player name in chat to autofill in text area for easy /w /ignore etc…

• Controller UI for PC (Skills?)

• Diablo’s clone currently only spawns on the server in which enough Stones of Jordan are sold to merchants. Many players would like to see this become a global event especially given the lack of duped SOJ’s. So for example, if players in the EU sell enough SOJ’s to spawn Diablo’s clone, then Diablo would walk the earth on the NA and Asia, EU servers as well. And you already have many international players playing on the NA server, so the EU/ASIA servers could potentially see fewer walks.

EDIT: I personally think this might be asking a bit much, but suggest the walk should occur for the entire region, not just the server that the soj’s were sold on.

• Picking up money when teleporting over it would be nice, vs having to run directly over it.

• Official Holy Grail Item Tracking!

• Achievements (Tie into Grail Tracking)

• Stackable Runes/Gems (We only have a 20 Character Limit!)

• Loot Filter! - When too many items drop (Cow Games) you can’t even see the items names or pick them up without moving around into just the right spot to click the items name. Even when walking over gold it doesn’t get picked up if there are too many items on the ground . Let’s clean up this trash by allowing us to filter out some items and highlight ones we’re interested in that might have dropped just off the screen.

• Charms are a major part of the game, but they can easily take up our entire inventory. Having a separate charm inventory would allow us room to pickup loot and save us multiple trips to the stash. Even something like the Cube but that could hold the charms would be amazing. You increased the stash box, but not the inventory. At this point, I’d even be willing to accept the old charms working in cube bug.

Other Issues

• There is a strange glitch on console (Switch), where users will have to restart the game several times to be able to join a friend, almost as if they were in a different server region.

• Some players have commented on Diablo’s Red lightning saying it looked better in D2 LOD.

Closing Comments

Obviously, these are just some issues. There are certainly more worth mentioning and I’m sure many of you will comment with some we didn’t list here, and we welcome you to do so!

I also understand that not everyone will want some of these changes, and that’s understandable. I think that some of these changes could have options to Enable/Disable them for those that don’t wish to have those features.

Well if you’ve made it this far, I just want to thank you so much for your time and I wish you Good Luck, Happy Farming, and Short Queue Times!

Don’t forget to like and comment! <3

~ The Chaos Sanctuary Trading Discord

132 Likes

Signed.
Really enjoying the game again.
Adding Grace period when using a portal 15-30 seconds

All for a

• Official Holy Grail Item Tracking!
  • Achievements (Tie into Grail Tracking)
  • tackable Runes/Gems (We only have a 20 Character Limit!)
  • Loot Filter!

What makes this game so good is that all areas are still relevant. So making a higher tier of difficulty maybe would be nice “Inferno” xD

6 Likes

Signed. Excellent, comprehensive list.

All ongoing issues that Blizzard needs to fix to be taken seriously as a company that makes games.
Or don’t and go the way of CDPR and the like. Up to y’all.

3 Likes

Signed. It’s awesome how much effort players and groups are putting in proposals how to make the game better.
Keep up the good work.

I miss that from blizzard because of their lack of communication.

2 Likes

50k users in that Discord alone, yet the queue timer line never ever goes past 400-500. 100’s of thousands of players…But the queue line is always the same…

We are being lied to.

7 Likes

Signed. If you force everything through your service you have an obligation to make sure that service works.

3 Likes

Agreed with this post,

signed.

2 Likes

I cannot believe I paid money for this. I felt like I just got scammed. Quick cash grab. Graphics and gameplay is nice but it’s unstable. Why would they sell this game half-a$$ed? And no refund?

2 Likes

Signed. Please Blizzard.

1 Like

The game is a F’ing mess - but after reading the whole post for the OP, I can only hope.
I have just lost all confidence in Blizzard.

1 Like

there shouldn’t be a single thing in D2R that is a downgrade or been broken to be worse than it was in D2.

Even if I totally ignore the server issues there should not be a list this big of problems in a “remaster” of a 20 year old game

1 Like

Signed! pls blizz check it. Nice job GreenArrow.

This is what is most needed, these changes to polish game and improve many QOL, for me it is the most important thing before adding interesting things in game.

1 Like

I keep seeing this ‘‘signed’’… what is it?

3 Likes

Signed.

Some more improvements that could be added:

• To avoid players opening games too quickly, you could add a “reset game” option that will reset all monsters/maps/bosses/etc. and will make it so you wont need to reopen the game. It should display a warning and maybe cast a vote to all other players to approve before resetting (so that no items will be lost).
  • Give us more shared stash tabs - Muling is not fun for anyone. Also it will save on game joining and character creations.
9 Likes

Signed. Please fix the game.

It’s borderline unplayable right now.

1 Like

I really like almost everything mentioned in the OP’s post, pretty detailed and gets to the issues of many things.

But, i will never be on board the stackable runes/gems. Unless Blizz gives us a preserved D2 realm, and a second realm to roll out changes all they like. Or… unless there is no ladder, and never will be a ladder.

That’s just me though.

3 Likes

good stuff I hope this one gets the attention it deserves, or will people still be hyper focused on the Amazon’s looks…

imagine spending 30mins writing a novel on the forums to blizzard who will literally sit there and do nothing … mind as well write this to a brick wall

1 Like

Signed, but for the love of Lucifer and all that is unholy, please fix the servers first and this awful queue system before working on further features…

1 Like

we also need glide support so i can run 4k legacy 144hz… without blackbars on the side as well… but glide is impossible cuz the geniuses at blizz copied the remaster over the original