Teleport mercenary control

In original Diablo 2 (1.14d) teleport control of the mercenary was super important for solo farming to kite properly. Recently after arriving in hell difficulty and leveling up my nightmare holy freeze mercenary, I have noticed teleport control is lacking and it’s really noticeable.

When teleport is used the mercenary should show up in the exact location of your character regardless of distance and of the A.I. actions.

Currently when my fearless A.I. act 2 mercenary wants to charge a pack of monsters and I teleport a few units away to keep him alive from instant death (while kiting with my Blizzard Sorceress), he continues his charge unless I teleport a full screen length away in a different direction. This has many problematic issues and completely changes how you have to play in nightmare and hell difficulties with the sorceress specifically.

R.I.P. Millions of gold and countless mercenary deaths.

~a409tiger

6 Likes

Yeah, noticed that too. Needed to adapt my gameplay as well because Kazim sometimes is a bit stubborn and needs a couple of teleports to be convinced to stay with me.

I’ve noticed that yout merc still telepoets to your location, but he is not animated to move there, so he’ll actually be hitting the mov you tele to from halfway across the screen.

I think this is a graphics bug and not mechanical. It’s most noticeable when you’re doing cows and have a huge stack surrounding your merc. You teleport a short distance and your merc doesn’t appear to move, but the cows start walking to your new location anyway, because the merc is no longer in their attack range

its still possible to bug your merc so that melees cant target him anymore. Works wonders for long farming sessions in a single game.
Not so great if you just open a game for pindle shenk and eldtrich and then create a new one again…

There should be YT guides out but the short form is: get your merc stuck in a angled wall and walk away just enough that his blue + icon on the minimap dissapears, plus a few extra steps. Eventually he will load after a few seconds right back at your location and from there on can only be targeted by archers and spells and can get hit by areadamage things but no longer from melee attacks.

This bug really sucks on Meph runs when you want to keep the idiot on a short leash.

I have noticed the mechanics are working correctly, especially when you switch back to old graphics it appears exactly the same as 1.14d so I refute some of my issues in my original post.

I do still have a issue with the graphical bug not always showing the mercenary teleporting with you with short teleports. This caused the alarm in the first place.

Merc/Summons not teleporting at short/mid range and not snapping to player when you run through a zone is infuriating. How do we bump the hell out of this post to get it some attention?

I’m sure every old school player notices this.

1 Like

+1 to this, I have to spam teleport to get my merc to safety and heal them up.

I agree they messed it up. trick is tele away further.
I dont like it either but getting it to be changed more than likely isnt gonna happen.

So it’s not just me. Yeah, I’ve noticed that teleport control of mercs is pretty iffy in D2R.

It’s not a flaw. It’s a feature. You now have a new reason for the gold they allow you to bag up in several places!

This is really annoying to me as well

Someone said it is a graphical bug but i dont agree since he still gets hit there

1 Like