Switch: Failed to join game

After installing Patch 2.4 on my Nintendo Switch and selecting my offline character I got a prompt “the character name is invalid” and I had to rename the character (I read about that in the patch notes).

The name contained two underscores (which I suspected was the problem) so I renamed the character using just one underscore – when trying to play I get the error “Failed to join game” and the game goes back to the menu.

I had issues with these characters in a previous patch yet the issue was fixed and I could play them fine in the patch prior to 2.4. Curiously, other characters that had just a single underscore in their name from the initial creation work just fine.

Now I can’t use this character and I also can’t try to rename him again. I am afraid to try and rename others …

5 Likes

Same for me.

1.0.0.12 on icon and 1.2.68964 in game

2 Likes

I mean the patch version on the game icon and main menu in-game

1 Like

Same issue here on PS4 - I tried renaming the character with NO special characters (okay Blizzard, we get it, don’t use special characters in character names). Still doesn’t work and I get “Failed to join game”. This is happened last patch too. Guess I’ll wait a few weeks until they fix this…again :frowning:

1 Like

Anyone from Blizzard, can u take a look for this urgently? U had made such problem during 2.3 upgrade. And now again in 2.4 upgrade!

2 Likes

I’m having the exact same problem after upgrading to patch 2.4 on Switch. Tried to open an offline mule character with underscores in its name. Games prompts me to rename the character. I rename it to “uniquely” since the mule was carrying a lot of unique items. Now when I try to open the character, I get a “failed to join game” error. :frowning:

1 Like

Blizzard support team, plz take a look at this. Weeks passed w/o any response from u!!!

1 Like

Same here, tried to revive my Switch version after it had issues with the names and so I deliberately used Names like “Muleone” and “Greens” and get the same Message.

I am done with this scam, I paid money for a game Blizzard has broken after release and makes us bag to use properly. At least give us a partial refund you freakin’ thieves.

4 Likes

Having this exact same issue on Xbox series X. Was an issue in previous patches as well, but like the others in this thread, it was subsequently resolved in a previous patch. All my mule names are double hyphenated, but when renaming to either use only a single hyphen or no hyphens at all, all characters fail to join.

This is very frustrating, especially since it’s happening on single player (for me). Blizzard, please address this as it makes it impossible for us to play.

2 Likes

Hi Blizzard support, any response for this? Let us know u are aware of this and working on this already

1 Like

This problem is still not resolved now. Over 24 Char for my NS offline cannot join the game after renaming

1 Like

Today NS version was upgraded to 1.0.0.13.1. Not sure about other bugs, but this bug was NOT fixed

1 Like

Same here. Can’t open SINGLEPLAYER mule character file on Switch even after updating to latest patch. I had stopped playing the game after the problem first came back with patch 2.4 but was hoping it would be fixed by now. Probably stopping for good now.

I was already angry about the sneaky DRM (which no one said anything about) that forces “offline” users to logon every 30 days. So if they release a shiit patch that destroys characters, you can’t even stay with a safe patch.

Console users can’t even resort to backing up their characters like PC users can (without resorting to hacks…should I explore that?). Blizzard needs to come up with a concession for console users so we can at least backup our offline characters.

2 Likes

I have the same issue

1 Like

One month passed w/o response

1 Like

Blizzard should remove the DRM feature for the Offline mode completely for the Nintendo Switch platform, the online authentication process for Offline mode causes many issues.

1 Like

Yup…getting a bit concerned. I imagine they’re prioritizing ladder stuff at this point, but it’s pretty disheartening that in the 8 months the game has been out, I’ve spent 2 of those months waiting for a character name fix…

1 Like

It’s sad but I’ve moved on from this game, checking this thread about once a week in case something changed. Unless a prominent streamer or YouTuber mentions it, nothing will be done.

Same here one account with some 2X _ change by themself name but 2 of me player i manually change those name since those to cannot join game

I started a separate thread, but had the same issue. Come on Blizzard! There is clearly a fix, as it worked the last time this issue happened…

1 Like