Superior items and sockets

I found that the cube recipe to add sockets to regular weapons does not work if the weapon is superior. That means the only way to add sockets to such items is from the socket quest in act 5?

I found a superior balrog blade that has a perfect damage roll and was wondering what to do with it, it looks like I can socket it to make a 4 word runeword with but not sure, I don’t have the rune for any of those words anyways.

1 Like

Correct. The cube recipe will only work on Normal items, including Ethereal. The only way to add sockets to a Superior quality item that does not already have sockets is the Act 5 Quest.

1 Tal Rune + 1 Thul Rune + 1 Perfect Topaz + Normal Body Armor = Socketed Body Armor of same type
The number of sockets created will vary. The item must be normal and unsocketed. Low-quality items and superior items do not work. The item gets 1-4 sockets, randomly. However, the number of sockets is then restricted by the maximum number of sockets that base item with that ilvl can have. The chance to get X sockets in most armor is 1/4 (I.E: Mage plate has a max of 3 sockets, so it has a 2/4 [1/2] chance to get 3 sockets). The base of 6 was used in the ratios for all the above mentioned areas.

1 Ral Rune + 1 Amn Rune + 1 Perfect Amethyst + Normal Weapon = Socketed Weapon of same type
The number of sockets created will vary. The item must be normal and unsocketed. Low-quality items and superior items do not work. The item gets 1-6 sockets, randomly. However, the number of sockets is then restricted by the maximum number of sockets that base item with that ilvl can have. For example, if you have an item that can only have 2 sockets, there’s a 5/6 chance of getting 2 sockets and a 1/6 chance of getting 1 socket.

1 Ral Rune + 1 Thul Rune + 1 Perfect Sapphire + Normal Helm = Socketed Helm of same type
The number of sockets created will vary. The item must be normal and unsocketed. Low-quality items and superior items do not work. The item gets 1-3 sockets, randomly. However, the number of sockets is then restricted by the maximum number of sockets that base item with that ilvl can have. For example, if you have an item that can only have 2 sockets, there’s a 2/3 chance of getting 2 sockets and a 1/3 chance of getting 1 socket.

1 Tal Rune + 1 Amn Rune + 1 Perfect Ruby + Normal Shield = Socketed Shield of same type
The number of sockets created will vary. The item must be normal and unsocketed. Low-quality items and superior items do not work. The item gets 1-4 sockets, randomly. However, the number of sockets is then restricted by the maximum number of sockets that base item with that ilvl can have. For example, if you have an item that can only have 2 sockets, there’s a 3/4 chance of getting 2 sockets and a 1/4 chance of getting 1 socket.

http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/cube.shtml

1 Like