Been noticing this for some time now, but, here we go.
When in Frigid Highlands, and, Arreat Plateau… can we please have the Zoo focus on monsters, rather than doors and towers?
Now, I’ve had pet dogs all my life, and I get they like sticks, wood, stuff they can chew on in general… I’ll admit I’ve never had a pet Bear or Raven, so, there is that (tho, Ravens are extremely good at problem solving… hmmm)
But come-on, when in a fortification full of monsters, why Zoo? why do you have to go chew on the tower with no little buggers even in it? I’m die’n here with my little wand and near useless bow, and you’re off chew’n on towers and doors oblivious to your masters pending demise.
Otherwise, I really don’t have any complaints with the Zoo Ai… actually like the way it works/spreads/targets/protects…
But enough of the chew’n on wood already…
Can we at least get a newspaper in game to roll up and smack 'em on the hip to train them?
3 Likes
I understand the frustration, but that’s simply a byproduct of the game design (for the game doors and towers ARE monsters).
The game needs a rework of the follower and pet AIs, but this would still be low priority even then.
Sounds like they need to whip out the hacktools and add a few lines in the merc/summon AI subroutine to set doors/towers as the lowest priority. Only attack them IF there are no other enemies present, AND stop attacking doors/towers if enemies come in range.
I know, wishful thinking.
2 Likes
That’s perfect, pets will find themselves stuck behind closed doors, waiting desperately for the monsters to open them so they can fight. 
OK, maybe a few more lines regarding pathing (or lack thereof) to enemies in range. 
1 Like
Yeah, Druid Summoner is my fav build to play and I stopped playing altogether until the A.I. gets an overhaul because right now it’s just absolute garbage…oh well…
there is such a thing as “threat” level, which monsters generally use. however, i dont know if summon ai uses it. i would assume so. configurable values to choose how much of a threat something is. im also presuming its for ai to know who to target first.
This is where just having them ignore doors/towers and having an actual “pet attack” command could solve a lot.
imagine if we had some rudimentary form of the ff12 gambit system here for mercs and minions
it would be amazing
That would require effort. Can’t have that…
they are willing to go through it, i think the NHD change werent any easy knowing how maze like is the code of d2
it doesnt need to be customizable
something like nearest uber>targeting player>lowest hp>any
doors and towers would be in the “any” category