Spec Assistance

Hey guys. I finished Normal last night and moved on to Nightmare today. But, I have a small issue now. With the resistance negatives for going up a notch, I find myself dying much more easily now.

I am playing the following:

Level 45

Sacrifice 8 / 20
Zeal 8 / 20
Fanaticism 8 / 20
Holy Shield 8 / 20
Defiance 7 / 20
FIre 1
Cold 1
Lightning 1
Prerequisites 1 each

Strength 65 (base)
Dexterity 65 (base)
Vitality 165 (base)

Normally, I run Fanaticism, and switch the Holy Shield for tougher mobs. But, if I don’t notice there’s a named or champions in a pack, I typically go down quickly. Unlike back in normal mode. Now, I realize nightmare is harder, but I’m level 45 and haven’t finished Act 1 yet. Heck, I haven’t even gotten to the Monastery.

I have two Runeword pieces, and the rest are yellows. Typical focuses: resists, block chance/speed, +damage, etc. So, my question is this. How do i boost my survivability given my spec choice? Please do not suggest Hammerdin. I tried that and hated it. Should I move points around, or tough it out until the build is complete, or I start finding better items?

Any insight from fellow Zealadins is appreciated.

I dont know what gear u using

This is the gear normally I will go for melee but I must say that I am no expert in build

• Spirit with good all res pally base shield like a good 40 or HOZ soc with p diamond
  • Life steal or dual leech ring with some res, preferably plus all res
  • Lvl45 just nice can equip Ravenfrost

Gear:

Grim Grinder War Hammer
Gothic Shield “RalOrtTal”
Cruel Horn Helm
Storm Suit Field Plate
Wraith Lock Belt
Loath Grip Chain Gloves
Demon Brogue’s Greaves
Stone Gorget Amulet
Bone Turn Ring
Havoc Knot Ring
Charms bonus list:

+30 Defense
+21 Life
Lightning +15%
Cold +24%
12% Faster Hit Recovery
+57 Attack Rating
Poison +13%
A few 1-2 points here and there on various elements.

I’m new and your speaking a little above my head. What’s an HOZ? And, I did few Baal runs in normal before coming. I didn’t get much of anything. If progress depends on this stuff, how do I get it (social anxiety, only play solo)?

1 Like

add me, i show to u in game. Cause i dont know how to paste pic here :sweat_smile:
OldPlayer#31373

Maybe in a bit. I’m not at the game at the moment.

You mentioned you switch to Holy shield for tougher mobs. Holy shield is a buff not an aura. You should be casting holy shield every once in a while and stay on fanat.

Can you list how much life leech and mana leech you have. Also what’s your damage and def ratings.

HOZ is Herald of Zakarun. It’s the pest shield a pally can get. If you find one use it.

1 Like

Zeal Damage 185-256
Zeal Attack 1721
Defense 315

Do you need the advanced stats? I guess I am having a really long stroke of bad luck in drops. I’ve farmed Baal (Normal) quite a few times, as well as the Cow level. Nada.

And I did not know that about HS!!! I’ll have to try that out.

for your skills:

max fanaticism/zeal/sacrifice/holy shield in that order.
1 point in: vengeance/prayer/cleansing/defiance/vigor/redemption. i would skip salvation and meditation.
leftover points in resist lightning. its easier to increase cold/fire resist than lightning resist at higher levels. you could throw 2-4 in fire/cold tho if you wanted.

if you are going to use the “resist” auras, put at least 2 points in them. every 2 points increases your max to that resist by 1. (so 10 into resist lightning will max your passive lite res max 80)
only 1 point defiance. % chance to block more important than raw defense.

stats always same for pally, enough str for gear, enough dex for max block with holy shield active, rest into vitality.

you could give merc reapers toll for physical immunes or use 1 point vengeance.

1 Like

At lvl45 you might want to join some “free” games… it’s not uncommon for people to throw out some pretty darn good gear… I’ve seen Guardian Angle, Heavens Light… laying on the ground.
Don’t be afraid to ask if anyone has mid-lvl pally gear, you’d be surprised what people carry around, then when asked, realize they are never going to use it and hand it over.
I have given strangers both the HoZ and Raven Frost noted above… as I have gathered extras (with better stats) along the way.

Not sure what that war hammer you have is, but typically they are slow weapons, if your is, keep an eye out for a scepter based weapon… which often will have +to pally skills.

Unlike Sphynx, I really like Salvation. Works good for me, works wonders for my merc, or, folks I’m playing with online.
I guess it just shows there are more than a few ways you can role a zeal/fanta pally.

Anything Rondel types is very much worth paying attention to.