Some questions on the game

Alternate weapon/off hand - are the stats on the items always active, or only when the alt is selected?

Can you convert set items like you can in D3 (I have 3 arctic belts lol).

My weapon has poison damage - is this ONLY applied to physical attacks, and not my sorcs spells? I presume so. If this is the case, I can let this weapon go and move to another weapon with faster casting etc and/or bonus to skills (don’t have any orbs with that yet).

It’s been years since I played D2, and back in the day I never played with rune words or builds etc.

Cheers,

Dave

Only when you switch

Nope

Only on physical attacks

1 Like

Thanks for confirming, much appreciated.

There seems some really QOL issues with D2/D2R.

Died last night, the death penalty was exceptionally bad - had 200k on me and lost it all, plus stuff from my stash. All up, probably lost 800k gold. That is ridiculous. 600k from stash, 200k on me. 800k from 2.4k million.

Upon dying you lose 20% of your wealth max. It may look like you lose more but you regain a big amount of gold when you pick up the gold lying by your corpse.

There was NO gold at my corpse. NONE. All gone. 200k that was on me. I died again tonight due to server lag (first time I’ve had server lag so far). So, that’s 3 deaths - 1 last night, 1 tonight and 1 vs Mephisto normal difficulty (I didn’t have any ranged spells, so had to deal it with nova - not a good move vs Mephisto lol). I had no troubles rolling Diablo or Baal. Anyway, from the 3 deaths, I have lost ~800k gold.

On tonight’s death due to server lag, I also lost a bunch of potions. And again, no, they were not on the ground near my corpse. They weren’t in my inventory either. When I died last night, my potions were in my inventory. But, not tonight.

I never played D2 seriously back in the day, but I am trying to get better at the game now. So, even though I played D2 for hundreds and hundreds of hours back in the day, I am a total newbie.

If you were playing with others they took it.

In twenty years on this game I’ve never not had it drop my gold. Your items are on your corpse. If you die twice and log off without picking up your corpse your first corpse is gone forever.

You’re worried about gold? Just wait till you start losing experience in hell… Here’s a tip, dont leave gold in your main stash, move it to other tabs!

1 Like

Playing solo. No gold on ground. After dying, no gold on my character. Went back and picked up my corpse, all my gear back, no gold on ground. Wish I’d recorded it.

Death 2 nights ago - lost a bunch of potions. Not on ground, not on character, gone. I had a +8 belt (12 potions in total) and 6 were missing. And NOT in my inventory. Not on ground next to my corpse either.

I don’t mind losing gold, but the gold punishment is very expensive in this game, overly severe imho. It’s like giving your kid 20 years in jail for stealing a chocolate from the fridge.

I have since learned to put my gold on my shared stash tabs. Looked that up the other night. Do you lose XP in nightmare diff? I’m sure I lost XP when I’ve died.

You lose half a bar xp in nm and a whole bar in hell. 0% in normal

This game isnt fortnite… you expect any other in its category to be any better? Some are just as bad if not harder than this. Get to a worse difficulty first then start complaining :joy:

half a bar, you mean the 10% markers, or the entire 100% of the XP from 1 level to the next? That’s a pretty heavy penalty imho. Not even PoE is that bad.

I’m on nightmare diff, halfway through the first act. Have returned to normal diff and doing baal farming runs - XP rewards is much better for this imho (than nightmare diff), at least at my current level (clvl 43). 4 baal runs gets me a complete character level. This is killing everything from act worldstone up to and including Baal. Baal’s summons especially give good XP, at least so far.

I didn’t say the game was fortnite either. I made a statement that the penalties are what I consider overkill. I lost near 800k gold from a single death in NM (2.2m in stash, 220k on me; total 2.4m). I went down to zero gold on me (none at my corpse) and 1.4m in the stash. From a single death. I didn’t pay attention to the XP, but as someone above has confirmed, I also lost XP since it was NM diff. That’s a pretty heavy penalty imho. Certainly far worse than competing ARPGs that I have played (limited to PoE on consoles, since grim dawn isn’t available on the PS4, nor is Wolcen). You lose XP on PoE, but certainly less than D2R it seems. Spending 45 minutes getting nearly a level and losing all of that progression to a single death is sucky and bad game design imho. Poor QOL. I paid for the game, I’m entitled to criticise aspects of the game that I dislike. That’s my right as a consumer. Blizzard has a long history of ignoring its customers input, especially console players. So, I don’t expect them to fix QOL issues.

You have a right to your opinion but your opinion is based on false facts. You only lose 5% exp on death on NM and 10% exp on Hell, and you regain 50% of that when you retrieve your corpse. You lose only 20% of your gold on dying, and gold is mostly irrelevant anyway.

It’s 5% in NM and 10% in Hell. If you recover your corpse, you get 75% of what you lost back.

Ya you lose 5 / 10% of the entire amount it takes for the level you’re on. Early on its not that big a deal but later on it may take 6 hours to fill one section(bubble, bar… Whatever people call them now)

Think losing your gold sucks? In diablo 1 all your gear and your gold would drop and other people could just take it! If you left the game it would all just be gone forever.

In RL if you die you’re just… Dead. So consider that!

That’s not how it works. The game saves the corpse with the gear that has the highest value in gold. Meaning the amount of gold you would get from an in game vendor, if you sold all of your gear to the shop. This is why it’s recommended to never throw on random gear to try and retrieve your body. Even random magical or rare items can be worth maximum gold, while your high end runewords can be worth less than you would think.

Yes, I believe we are saying the same thing. It’s just that someone might read your original statement as this:

“In Hell, if you are 80% of the way to level 92 and you die, then you lose all 80%”

I know you said “half a bar” and “whole bar,” but I know you mean “bar” to be one of the 10% chunks on the XP bar. Others may not read it that way.

Ya i was replying to mrtheoden

False, false, false. Do you only play arpg’s in noob mode then quit??

OK, ‘half a bar’ can be interpreted many ways. 5% is tolerable and fair. AS is 10% on hell diff. So, 2.4m gold would lose ~480k, right?

50% or 75%? Prior poster said 50%. See why it’s so hard for a newbie to understand things sometimes?

I played the original Diablo far more than most people ever did. Well aware of how that game works!

Yeah, I can imagine. I’m up to clvl 49 now, still a baby character but meh. Been doing Baal runs - 4 or so runs gets me a full level up.

Duly noted. The couple of times that I have died so far, I have went back naked to retrieve my corpse (and very nervous lol!).

Exactly. I read bar as being the entire XP bar, hence my comments on the punishment being overkill.

No, do you?

Another thing I have noticed - with magic find. I had ~120% MF and was getting at least 1 unique per baal run, consistently (about 15 Baal runs). Swapped out a helm and added another 48% MF, so now ~170%. 5 runs, ONLY 1 unique. What gives?

If it’s pure garbage, not many pal.