So… do I just abandon my toons in the original game?
Years of grinding…
Just to start over?
You know damn well that it’s very difficult to find gear/make gear in this game.
Why allow SP to import and not battle.net toons?
That’s my only gripe, I love what VV as done.
Still gonna play anyway.
You can import your local single player saves into D2:R once the game is released. It should be as simple as dropping the charname D2S/Key files into the D2:R local save directory.
Any closed Battle.net characters will not carry over. A fresh start for everyone is a good thing. We don’t need all of the botted items carrying over instantly ruining the non-ladder economy.
Joking right? lmao. Who would think it a good idea to bring 08 valks to D2R? lol
… no. no it isn’t. usually about 3 weeks into ladder i have a decked out sorc… it really isn’t THAT hard. if it takes you YEARS to build characters you either play really badly, have no idea what you’re doing or play like 2 hours a week.
I have to say that I feel your pain and you probably put a lot of time into your chars and items, but at the other hand I can also understand blizzard wanting to make a complete new start with their battlenet and start from zero.
I disagree on that. If you play purely selfound without any trading and any hacks, making a lot of builds and wanting them to perfectionize and also want to hunt and collect items, you can easily play for some years until you have everything you need or want. If you need a specific item and which just don’t drop then you are screwed, just look at the people that make the holy grail challenge most of them need like 1,5-3 years to find all the items, even mrllama who plays a lot needed 1,5 year to finish the holy grail.
D2R is moving forward.
D2 is there to keep the purist happy.
This is genius.
I wish they would allow people to download the bnet save data for their old characters, even if only temporarily so people could transfer them over to singleplayer d2r.
That would be a great service that Blizzard could offer. However since they probably aren’t going to for whatever reason, there is a work around. Record the items your Bnet character is using, stats and all. Whip up a new single player character and use Hero Editor to create all of the items, adjust level/skills on the new character. Time consuming, but possible to do.
Time consuming indeed… I don’t have the desire to put that much effort into it if I will be honest.
I am not a fan of playing singleplayer myself though since I like to join friends every now and then, even if I mostly play solo online anyway.
Gee, wouldn’t it be nice if there was some way to connect to a friend with a singleplayer character… I feel like there used to be a way to do that.

A part of the community that is small in comparison to those that played closed Battle.net. Yeah it sucks that we lost the ability to do so when needed in certain circumstances, but if you look at almost any other new game title with multiplayer, they typically don’t have a direct TCP multiplayer function either. Whatever security issue they found with TCP multiplayer must have been important enough to remove the function.
I was actually thinking of open battlenet, but yeah TCP would have been nice too.
But this is what you want and how you play, DeLi probably plays the way as I mentioned in my post which a lot of people do. Like I mentioned most people want specific gear with specific stats on it or even gear with perfect stats, plus most people just don’t do one easy build (you probably played a mf sorc or hammerdin) and then put the game away.
Unless I’m mistaken, Open Battle.net used TCP as well, but Battle.net simply served as a way of connecting the clients with each other.
I thought it was running on bnet servers, just with singleplayer chars?
I could be wrong as well, been a good decade since the last time I got on open battlenet.
Play median xl mod instead
Not sure, they may have just been a junction point for the connection. I’m pretty sure there was no server hosting the actual game. It’s been a while for me as well… At least 15+ years.