Single Player is not saving locally

I spent about an hour farming for a Gull Dagger by gambling from gheed. I get the dagger, put it in my shared stash, and then i switch to my barb to do some trav runs, the gull dagger there. I save and quit from the barb game, and exit diablo 2. Turn the game back on a few hours later, and My gull gadder is gone from the shared stash, and the gold i had spent to find it is back as well. This was not on PTR, and was not online.

Was it on pc or console?

there is also some issue for me, on offline, PC, game crashes, and it takes the OS too! (pc reboots). after some minutes of offline gameplay. Mainly when packing items between inventory and stash.

It was on PC. it seems to be just the shared stash that didn’t save correctly. my player stashes seems to have saved, which doesn’t help considering the item i was looking to save was in my shared stash -_-. I havent played since, im too afraid to lose a good drop just in transfer to a mule or anything valuable in my shared stash.

I’ve experienced this on multiple occasions myself as well. Some people on the console forum were saying it has something to do with then the shared stash synchs. That it doesn’t always save on exit.

I have my save files routed to my onedrive and noticed that the shared stash wasn’t saving even though I’d saved and exited a few times. The file still said last updated 2 hours ago. I’d only added a few keys and other items so I figured I’d just close the game and see what happens. Sure enough the stash rolled back a couple hours. I normally open the save location and make sure the stash is saving but this time it wouldn’t.

This is crazy, please I hope someone at Blizzard sees this and can help.

Yeah I was playing the PTR patch offline yesterday and after the game crashed like 2-3 times during play, every time there was some small rollback which struck me as very odd as this is online-ONLY behavior due to server based storage and due to the crash the server rolls back.

This is very odd as offline single player should not have any “rollback”.

Then again, when you normally leave a game you save its state at that particular moment.

It could be that the game, even on offline singleplayer, periodically saves memory data and writes it onto the character file on your local PC/Console.

When the game crashes, it could be that the last data writing to the character file has not happened while the game crashed but instead reflects a state at some point prior to the game crash occurring which would explain this discrepancy.

I believe the local character file is saved at intervals and at very specific in-game activity such as entering and leaving town and/or maybe changing areas.

The only way to 100% ensure the most up-to-date progress is saved is by saving and exiting properly by using the in-game menu.

Crashing the game obviously does not trigger this save to execute properly, hence the experienced rollback even on singleplayer offline mode.

I don’t think saving and exiting from the in game menu is 100% effective. I kept doing that to preserve some items I’d just found and looking at the .d2i file it stayed at last saved two hours ago. That seems like the only way to manually save the shared stash but it’s still didn’t work.

I agree, If you dont leave town and are only gambling in town, there is no save made until you enter a new zone. VERY COUNTERINTUITIVE to the ENTIRE statement “SAVE AND QUIT” when exiting the game.

2 Likes