Ryzen 6900HX Failed to Initialize Graphics Device

Hi all,

I’ve been playing D2 Resurrected on my own Ubuntu 22.04 laptop with a Ryzen 4800u CPU since the game was released and it works perfectly.

My friend also has an Ubuntu 22.04 machine with a more powerful(and much more gaming capable) 6900HX CPU and he can’t launch the game because it fails to initialize the graphics device when we try to launch it.

All other games we tried(Warcraft 3/Starcraft 2/Age of Empires 2 DE) seem to work just fine but it almost feels hardcoded into the game launcher that this CPU isn’t recognized yet or something.

Any tips how to solve this?

Hey man…
first off don’t coutnt on forum staff, the game isn’t supported on Linux…

Perhaps i can be of assistance.
First of all does the 6900HX have an integrated GPU?

for example people on windows and intel cpus complain here for the same reason, and they don’t understand windows tries to launch the game on integrated GPU instead of the dedicated one…

windows 10 and up has a setting to tell the game which gpu to use.

either way Failed to initialize graphics device may mean few things:
#1 GPU does not support DX12
#2 gpu does not met minimum requiremets
#3 virtual memory too low 8GB is for the dram only you should have 24GB of virtual memory at minimum.
#4 Linux chooses inapropriate GPU
#5 Windows emulation software does not support DX12 ( i.e. Wine is set by default to winXP, you need to set win 10 emulation at bare minimum).
check wineoverride dll’s doesn’t need to add something from the game to it’s contents…

other than that i have no idea I’m not a linux user just toyed with Winulator on android ( a mixture of quemu and wine that runs x86 apps on android).

I assumed the absence of Blizzard Linux support yeah, but thanks for trying to help :slight_smile:

The 6900HX does have an integrated GPU, the Radeon 680M. But it’s supposed to launch the game on that just like on my own laptop that has the integrated RX Vega 8 GPU which has less power/is older than the 680M but works perfect. So there is no dedicated graphics card.

Thanks for the suggestions!
I’ll take a look at all of them and let others know if I found something that works.

it may be a stupid question, but has your friend installed the proper amd radeon linux drivers?

You obviously did since the game works for You, however I don’t know if Your friend is versed in Linux Os as much as You do…

I may be very wel wrong on this, but berhaps your firend just put the parts together and thought everything is going to be plug&play, so He installed linux os only,and said “…that’s it time to play…”, sorry for thinking like that, however other than some wrong setting or not detecting drivers, this should not happen.
Radeon 680M from RX 6000 series is more than capable of playing this game on low settings, so "failed to initialize graphics device is either tied to the game not detecting a dx12 capable gpu or doesn’t see the drivers at all…

did a google search on that 680M

seemes current linux 22.04.xx has some problem with kernell amd gpu drivers. the issue are seposedly the drivers themselfs, and i have no idea if theese issues have been solved with the latest drivers from amd.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.