Running the Pit

I see videos all the time on YouTube of “100 pit runs”, “200 pit runs”, etc and people highlighting their loot. I figured I’d give it a shot and after a couple hundred runs, I gotta give props to the people who actually have patience to do this. I’m running with about 450% MF and the best drop I got was Titan’s Revenge and an ethereal (yuck) +2 Shadow Dancer. Sets and uniques hardly drop and, when they did, I usually got crap like Bezerker’s or Vidala’s.

I’ll probably continue with a bunch of runs a day but props to the people who do this day in and day out.

I don’t trust those runs, I feel they are on offline players 8.
Also it’s mind numbing they can run 200 etc runs of the same thing over and over.
But jelly when something drops :rofl:

5 Likes

I know they were ethereal, which is terrible luck, but Shadow Dancer’s are very rare.

Doing MF runs does get quite numbing, I usually do 10-30 at a time. Currently grinding NM Andariel, looking for a couple SOJs.

Pit runs are a good early access to TC87 drops as well as a decent early leveling boost.

Yeah, it sucks when you get crappy sets and uniques, but thats how the ball bounces most of the time. I don’t know exactly what the normal/exceptional/elite item base drop ratios are, but I’d guess roughly 75%/20%/5%.

2 Likes

Just do them in like 5-10 at a time, mf is supposed to be fun and chill, not some sort of job. Anyway, I love doing pits with my MF WWS strafezon, and have got some good stuff in limited runs, I find it’s good place for HR drops with all the enemies/density. And of course, only a matter of time until that Griffons drops, or whatever other GG item.

2 Likes

I have noticed a lot of streamers seem to stream offline. I’m not exactly sure what the point is of streaming an offline game. It must be because of the players 8 setting so they can stream with better gear and highlight better drops but, if I played offline, I’d just be tempted to import in any items I need / wanted. That just seems to miss the point.

1 Like

Not sure how you run it but i highly suggest to you kill only elites there.

Unless you have a character that can lay waste to everything on the screen as you go of course… Don’t want to miss out on those potential goodies from the trash monsters, especially if you’re running at /players 3+ in single player or with 3+ other players.

I’ve dropped a good number of high runes from random trash monsters, even playing solo bnet.

1 Like

What’s the question in this thread? You actually found items unlike the millions of posts on here where people cry that they only get Sol runes to drop and that MFing sucks. SDancers are quite rare. And it really doesn’t matter what alvl 85 spot you run, what matters is the number of mobs especially champion/rare packs you kill per min/hour.

I Normally run pits for MF but dont forget about ancient tunnels for Jars, have found quite a few mid runes from kicking jars, I just hate trying to find the entrance.

If we could only destroy the jars with skills, well, other than telekinesis. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d think a frost orb throwing a torrent of ice shards would smash a clay pot. I know I could Nolan Ryan an ice cube into a clay pot and shatter it.

I usually spend a lot of time in the ancient tunnels with my cold sorc after getting her leveled. Have had some decent luck there. Tal Armor dropped twice – ten minutes apart from each other. When it rains, it storms, they say.

1 Like

It’s very doable. However, the mf char in question needs to be hella fast. For example drop 150%mf (from 450…) if you can gain 40% speed. Otherwise its even more of a PITA

Dbrunski has a vid with 1000 pits run @ p=1, mf=500. I see no reason to not trust him. The drops I see look like p=1.

This is such a consistent refrain from online-only players and I find it bewildering. Surely you’ve played other single player games before…? Surely you don’t feel compelled to instantly cheat in all of them, right? Why is D2 so different for so many people?

The idea that offline play and cheating in gear goes hand in hand is just so, so, so, so, so weird.

1 Like

I got one after 110 runs. Good luck.

I get what he’s saying about the temptation though. It isn’t even whether you actually do it or not. It’s constantly knowing you can. I once used a godmode cheat to get past a nearly impossible challenge in the shooter “Serious Sam 2.” Quit shortly thereafter because the knowledge I could do it again if I got to another difficult place made the entire exercise seem pointless.

I don’t understand this kind of mentality, because there is no competitive aspect to single player.
Sure, it can be fun to try god mode for a bit, but it quickly becomes boring, I don’t personally have any “urge” to cheat in single player. Even if you just cheat for an item to save time from grinding, the game would feel ruined.

Modding on the other hand is great. I used to play the original game with tweaked skills, such as, I swapped the skeletal mage summon for the wraith monster, and made them roughly equal to skeletons. :slightly_smiling_face:

I would like to run Travincal. It is easy access and high percentage to drop HR