Running multiple instances of D2R on the same computer

ok found the check for other instances but it will not load the second account, it promps the same account, allowing 2 windows but wont let me log into the other account and start the game

I literally did link it. You can suck the tail pipe.

1 Like

Stormay’s trick worked for me this morning, but doesn’t work anymore this evening when I tried it again. Did they change something during the day? Has anyone else got it to work in the past few hours?

MouseWithoutBorders. It’s from microsoft (since they bought out the original developer)
Literally lets one KB/Mouse move back and forth between two or more PCs.
The PC the mouse cursor is on is the one the keypresses go to.
There are some other software packages that do the same thing (including cross-OS), but MWB is free and works just fine. (on everything else, I use it daily on my work computers - I don’t have multiple D2R accounts, so haven’t tested it htere)

1 Like

Make two different shortcuts:
“path1\D2R.exe” --exec=“launch OSI”
“path2\D2R.exe” --exec=“launch OSI”

Launch the game through the launcher once to connect to battle.net. Close the game. Then try the shortcut.

If that doesn’t work, the only other solution is using two windows accounts with account switching.

Multiboxing is allowed. Key mirroring (hardware/software) is against the rules of WoW. They have not explicitly stated anything for their other games that I know.

2 Likes

How do you get in through your second account though? When you use the shortcut to launch the game the second time, it will just use the same account that you launched the game with the first time.

I have two accounts logged into bnet at the same time, I haven’t tried the multi boxing yet cuz i haven’t purchased the game on the second account. Both instances share the same installation, I don’t know without a second windows account if it will let you but installing and moving the game to two different folders might work. I don’t know for sure.

Really wish it was not this difficult ><

You can relog into your second bnet account, but when you do, it already says “Playing Now” for D2, and when you launch a second game client, it logs you in using the credentials to your first account, even though you’re logged into your second account in the bnet launcher app.

Need a way to launch the second game client using the bnet credentials that were entered in most recently, rather than it using the credentials that were used to open the first game client.

The only way is to install battle.net to two different windows accounts.
Set a password for both windows accounts.

Battle.net installation one:
C:\Users\Username1…

Battle.net installaton two:
C:\Users\username2…

Use account switching to run both clients.

This is really only good for rushing a second account and or muling. This is how I did it in the D2 Classic days before shared stashes.

Nevermind, I got it working again. Just need to follow these steps:

Quote (VTF @ Oct 15 2021 03:29pm)

I wanted to give back to the community with my multiboxing method. You need an additional account per instance.

Make sure you allow multi boxing through your battle.net app before you start!

1. Go to your d2r installation folder, make a copy of the folder for each game/instance you plan to run.

1. download processexplorer from microsoft or processhacker, whichever you prefer.

2. launch the Diablo II Resurrected Launcher from your install folder.

3. Input your account information and click play.

4. run process explorer as admin. Find the process handle \Sessions\1\BaseNamedObjects\DiabloII Check For Other Instances and kill the process.

5. go to your next install folder and run the second Diablo II Resurrected Launcher from the next install folder.

6. Login with your second account.

7. If you did everything right there should be a play button on your bnet launcher for your second account.
    Thanks and enjoy.

4 Likes

I was able to run 4 accounts simultaneously on one PC using ISBoxer…

There is a walk through on their forums explaining the setup process.

My original reply had incorrect information in it so I have since redacted it.
Sorry for misleading anyone…I didn’t test it thoroughly enough before posting.

use 2 windows user, they each keep their credentials, you can then start a program as another user (the “runas” command line, or hold left shift and right click to the program to show the option)

You need to copy d2 folder and create a 2nd folder. Open one folder and launch the D2R launcher.exe and hit play

Then just log out and log into your 2nd account but then exit bnet launcher

Thats when you check process explorer to see if you need to close that handle “check for other instances”

Then go into 2nd folder, launch d2r Launcher.exe and hit play.

Ez

Please do not post information you personally didn’t test out, and didn’t get working.
The instant bnet detects itself, it will automatically use the most current one launched and boot you out of any others open.

Furthermore what does this even mean?:

I seriously wanted to try this because I have 2 accounts however I have absolutely no clue what you’re saying to do with this.
Why are you telling people to look for wording and phrases that simply do not exist as well as say to use an option that doesn’t exist?

Steps 1-4 are fine…it’s the next 2 steps that are bewildering

1. The word EVENT and or Sessions do not exist in Process Explorer
  2. There is no such option as CLOSE HANDLE.
  3. The phrase check for other instances also does not exist

You really need to clarify exactly what you’re saying to do because this makes no sense and it’s confusing as hell.

Account switching does not work, it always loads the same instance of the account even from different folders.

I tried this and it kept kicking me out of the other account when I switched users and logged in with the other account.