Hello, dear forum,
I’ve already found 4 of the high value runes, and I’d like to use them to craft a weapon for a melee fighter—either a Frenzy Barbarian or a Zeal Paladin. Most players recommend the rune word “Grief,” but I’m wondering if that’s really the only option—or even the best one. What about “Breath of the Dying” or “Death,” for example? I like them both and could craft either one. But people say “Grief” is still better. Is that true?
Regards
It’s true. The flat damage bonus on grief is better than all other options for pure damage. Also phase blade gives you the best attack speed and indestructible
The only melee builds that don’t want grief are ones that can’t apply that damage bonus, or can’t use a grief base weapon type, or leverages some other mechanic like massive crushing blow
1 Like
For pure damage per second (DPS), Grief is unmatched in almost all cases. However, the scenario matters. I do believe there are cases where in certain circumstances or goals for your character where different weapons or a combination works better. For example, I do love Grief + Death on a WW Barbarian specifically for boss killing or elites, I would imagine this would also apply for heralds. I also like Death on a Fury druid.
But yea, depends on your build. If you want zeal, and it’s for general clearing, I’d probably just go with grief. I just like having crushing blow for the heavies. OR if you specifically want to do something different (that’s my style lol), then just hit the breakpoints you want and use the weapon you feel like. Frenzy? Not too sure, used to be one of my favorites, but haven’t gone too deep recently.
Edit: I want to clarify, against bosses there are scenarios where the crushing blow is going to out “DPS” a boss. If you can get good CB with Grief, that’s the ticket. That’s why I like dual wield on a WW barb with Grief / Death.
maybe look at it as a learning experiment. try grief then try BoTD on an eth Champ axe. best information on how it feels will be your own experience. you have these high runes why not?
1 Like