Removing the 50% Physical Res?

In Hell difficulty, nearly every mob has a base 50% physical resist, which kneecaps melee even worse than it already is…
Would removing this be an easy fix for melee? Or would it break something else? Why is this even here?

So, for some context, I recently played d2r side by side with a friend, where I was a zeal Paladin, and they were a fire sorceress… and honestly after normal difficulty, my character might as well just watch and pick up loot.

Melee progressing alongside caster is really, really bad lol. I would be ecstatic if the next update to the game was addressing Melee.

I said this to you in your similar past thread, but there’s not a global 50% physical resistance for Hell monsters, not since 1.10+ anyways.

Even then it wasn’t in the 1.08 or 1.09 monstats.txt either, unless if it was handled differently in a different .txt file or a hardcoded bonus maybe.

As for the topic, I’d like if they improved physical attack builds too. There’s a lot of ways they could do it, increasing base weapon damage, increasing str/dex scaling, reducing monster block chance, etc. Oh and increasing weapon durability too, 20-30 durability gets chewed through very quickly on fast attackers like zealots or WW barbs. These are some changes I did in my mod, along with some other stuff.

Would be cool to lower physical res of monsters
But remember there are other physical damage sources like spells that are already good enough - like tornado or corpse explosion.

:rofl: Have you tried playing a fire sorceress? The first fire immune is in… the cold plains in normal difficulty. By the time you get to hell at least half the monsters are immune to fire. This story seems dubious.

Yes, a paladin will have major trouble keeping up with a sorceress, but mostly due to teleporting and skipping things :roll_eyes: I think a decent fix to that particular issue would be to lessen the mana cost for charge (by a ton).

1 Like

The fix for melee is not on the monster end. The base value of attack rating should be higher so you hit more often and need it less on gear so you can invest in more to deal damage.

The base weapon damage was never buffed with the release of LoD which is what partially put melee in it’s current spot. Higher base damage + more hits would most likely help melee tremendously.

1 Like

Totally agree, and am aware of this too, but I’m trying to think of lazy quick fixes that blizzard could actually do…
I kinda made this post out of frustration that they could leave their game like this for so long.

Haven’t seen much for fire immunes in nightmare. Haven’t made it to hell yet.
That’ll be a problem for both of us lol.
Melee gets even worse in hell.

I never did look at the txt file. I’ll do that this time to see what’s actually on with this.

Oh no a single fire immune monster you can skip in normal oh no
First fire immunes that are actually a problem are in nightmare act4. But by then you can invest at least 5 points into static field- beat them with this down to 25%, use frost nova with 1 point for crowd control and let your mercenary finish them off.
Oh no

Yes in hell difficulty fire is the problem there are too many fire immunes but you can make hybrid lie hydra+orb or fireball+orb

2 Likes

Well exactly, everyone knows you’ve gotta go hybrid with a sorc.
Sorc has great 40 point skills too….like nova and frozen orb for example
The problem with melee is that it sucks even against mobs that aren’t immune to your damage.

1 Like

Yeap melee need a huge buff
Hope that we will get another update some day

2 Likes

I’d be cool with this solution if it meant every monster also got the base AR buff :smiley:

Side effect of the D2R content patches is that the game as a whole is easier than LoD, a bit of a buff that helps both melee and monsters could freshen things up a tad.

1 Like