Question about deleting a character

when i want to delete a character but it says “are you sure you want to delete all versions of this character”.

What does that mean?
I only want to delete one character

It deletes all of the files associated with only the specific character you chose for deletion.
Each character you create has multiple files associated with it (character file, map file, ctl file, etc.)

It does only delete that one character.

Other games keep backups of your characters so that you can restore a deleted character if you change your mind later on, or if you made a mistake.

Diablo 2 deletes all versions of your character, including backup versions. The character cannot be restored if deleted.

This seems correct, but the verbiage is worthless for online characters seeing as we have zero visibility into any of that stuff.

1 Like

You can see the files if you look in your Save folder.
And it actually leaves some of the map files there after you delete an online character.

Interesting, I didn’t think they would store anything in relation to a character as a file on the client. I guess even so, almost nobody is really going in there looking at that stuff. Blizzard has much bigger fish to fry than worrying about this verbiage though.

I think the “all versions” is a reference to how you can copy your character to console ? at least, thats what I am believing.

I asked the same question a few days ago:

That might make sense.
I can’t remember if they’ve changed it since some problems were noticed shortly after launch, but when the game launched it was possible to give an offline character and an online character the same name.

It may not be possible to do that anymore, though, because they did discover that it caused some issues.