PTR 2.6 Feedback - Hustle, Metamorphosis and Mosaic

I spent a few hours testing Hustle, Metamorphosis and Mosaic today (on my main account Baheven#1301). Below are my thoughts.

~OVERALL~

It is super exciting to see new effects added to the game! I love that D2R is still getting love and attention! Metamorphosis and Mosaic get me really excited for the future of D2R.

~HUSTLE (WEAPON)~

Problem 1: The Hustle weapon contributes to prebuff power creep. The Hustle weapon fills a niche as the fast attack speed mid-game rune word but it still struggles to compete against other mid-game rune words of similar or lower cost (such as Unbending Will, Obedience, Harmony, Honor and Insight). The Burst of Speed buff is so powerful that it is always better to trigger the buff then switch to a different weapon with higher enhanced damage (which doesn’t feel like the intent of the rune word).

Solution 1: Change the Burst of Speed buff to be active “when equipped” like rune word auras instead of “chance to cast”. This will encourage players to actually use the Hustle weapon as their primary weapon instead of as a prebuff tool. Barbarians and Assassins could get double the Burst of Speed buff if they commit to dual wielding two Hustle weapons. The level of the Burst of Speed buff would need to be reduced.

EDIT 1/25: If the intent of the Hustle weapon is to function as a mid-game primary weapon and later as an endgame prebuff tool, then triggering Burst of Speed should be easier. Burst of Speed should be converted to an oskill (like Teleport on Enigma, Critical Strike on Insight, etc), item charges (like Cloak of Shadows on Nadir) or significantly improve the chance to cast. If the goal for Hustle is to prebuff, it should be easier to activate. I personally don't like every class having access to Cloak of Shadows but I respect why people are excited for this powerful buff.

~METAMORPHOSIS~

Problem 1: Metamorphosis also contributes to prebuff power creep. A Druid or Beast/Wolfhowl user can trigger the buffs, then switch to another helmet (which doesn’t feel like the intent of the rune word).

Solution 1: The Metamorphosis buffs should be restricted in some way. Examples: Restrict to only having the helmet equipped, restrict to only while in wereform, restrict to only while Feral Rage or Maul are active. EDIT 1/25: Another possible restriction could be limiting Metamorphosis to Druid pelt helms, not all helms.

Problem 2: Current Druid Shapeshifter gameplay discourages actively switching between Werewolf and Werebear forms. Druids cannot switch between wereforms directly, instead Druids must switch back to human form before switching to the other wereform (which is very clunky). Investing in both forms is a massive drain on skill points. Feral Rage and Maul do not persist across wereforms.

Solution 2: Enable Druids to switch between wereforms directly without needing to switch to human form inbetween. Enable Feral Rage and Maul to persist across forms to reward gameplay and skill point investment across both forms.

Problem 3: Metamorphosis (even with both buffs active) is underpowered relative to its rune cost. The werewolf buff is particularly underpowered. Cham is significantly more expensive than competing helmets (such as Guillaume’s, Jalal’s, Cerebus’).

Solution 3: Boost the offensive bonuses of the werewolf buff. 20% deadly strike would position Metamorphosis as a late endgame upgrade to Guillaume’s Face.

~MOSAIC~

Problem 1: Restricting a new gameplay mechanic to an item feels “anti” Diablo 2. Build crafting in Diablo 2 is about defining the build you want to play and then acquiring gear that fits that build. Build crafting in Diablo 2 should not be dependent on a specific item to make a build usable.

Solution 1: Mosaic’s new mechanic should be moved from the rune word to the Assassin’s skill tree itself (maybe Claw Mastery). If the D2R dev team plans to use “chance for finishing moves to not consume charges” as the main change to improve Martial Arts Assassins, then 100% chance should be achievable. If the new mechanic is moved to the Assassin’s skill tree, then Mosaic can be changed to providing more bonuses to Martial Arts skills or being the first indestructible Claw rune word (like the Claw version of the Oath rune word).

Problem 2: Mosaic is underpowered relative to its rune cost, especially when compared to similar cost rune words (Crescent Moon, Oath, Kingslayer).

Solution 2: Boost the offensive bonuses of Mosaic (higher enhanced damage, deadly strike, open wounds, minus target defense, ignore target defense, indestructible).

~OTHER FEEDBACK~

I am glad Druids and Assassins are receiving rune word attention with Patch 2.6 but more fundamental gameplay/mechanic buffs are needed.

Druid:

• Mentioned above under section “METAMORPHOSIS: Solution 2”.
  • EDIT 1/25: Druid Shapeshifters need to be able to teleport in wereform

Assassin:

• Stacking and maintaining Martial Arts charges is clunky, requiring two actions to trigger an offensive ability will always leave Martial Arts behind compared to all other offensive builds
  • Cloak of Shadows needs to have its duration and/or casting delay capped so Cloak of Shadows can be a more reliable source of minus enemy defense (this will help Martial Arts builds land hits and stack charges!)
  • Blade Sentinel needs its casting delay removed
  • Assassin needs its next hit delays rebalanced across all abilities (this also hurts Martials Arts today!)
  • Assassins need a true high end Claw rune word equivalent (in power and cost) to Grief or Breath of the Dying
  • Traps need to benefit from the Assassin’s minus enemy resistance bonuses
  • EDIT 1/25: Dragon Tail radius needs to increase with skill level
  • EDIT 1/25: Dragon Tail fire damage conversion needs to function like Berserk magic damage conversion. Berserk only has to worry about enemy Magic resistance. Currently, Dragon Tail users need to counter enemy fire and physical resistances. This is clunky and restricts your gear options.

Small Notes:

• The attack speed bonus on Metamorphosis should be renamed to “Bonus Attack Speed” or “Skill Attack Speed” to differentiate this bonus from other gear attack speed bonuses (EIAS vs IAS)
11 Likes

What about this instead?
Level X Vigor Aura when equipped

Completely agree with you here - we shouldn’t have access to this mod only through the runeword. Would be great if this chance was increased by 1% for each hard point in the martial arts tree, or Claw Mastery.

Also I think Crescent Moon should be able to be crafted in Claws.

I agree with all your other points.

3 Likes

My pipe-dream solution would be:

• Next Hit Delay is reworked to apply to individual instances of a skill effect, not to all skills with NHD at the same time.
    • If you release a Nova as part of Claws of Thunder, it would use a separate NHD timer than other Claws of Thunder effects you release; and separate from skills like Frost Nova from other players.
  • Charge-up effects apply for a fixed duration to all regular attacks and finishers within that timeframe.
    • Charge-up effects are cumulative within this duration. If you have three charges for Phoenix Strike, striking with a regular attack or a finisher releases a meteor, chain lightning, and chaos ice bolts.
    • I’d suggest 8 seconds as a starting point for the duration to test.
  • Striking with a charge-up skill refreshes the duration for that skill’s charges. It does not refresh the duration for charges from other charge-up skills.
    • If you have charges for Blades of Ice and you hit with Blades of Ice, your Blades of Ice charges refresh their duration. If you also had Cobra Strike charges, their duration is not refreshed.
  • Dragon Talon consumes 1 charge at random per kick from among all your accumulated charges.
    • If you have three Fists of Fire charges and one Blades of Ice charges and kick three times, 1 of those 4 charges is randomly expended on the first kick, 1 of the remaining 3 on the second kick, and 1 of the remaining 2 on the last kick.
  • Tiger Strike changes from charge 1 100% / charge 2 200% / charge 3 300% at skill level 1 to charge 1 +100% / charge 2 +100% / charge 3 +100%. Further skill levels would be adjusted in the same way.
    • Because the effects would apply cumulatively, this would still work out to 200% for 2 charges, and 300% for 3 charges, exactly the same as it is currently.
  • Cobra Strike would be changed in the same way as Tiger Strike. For skill level 1, it would be 40% Life Steal, charge 2 40% Mana Steal (cumulative with the charge 1 effect so it still steals both Life and Mana), and charge 3 40% Life and Mana Steal (cumulative to 80% Life and Mana Steal), so it would behave the same as it does now numbers-wise.
  • Mosaic’s effect would change from 25% chance to not lose charges to +2 seconds to the duration (+25% of 8 seconds)

This would allow significantly more up-time for charge effects. You’d still need to spend some actions on charge-up skills, but far fewer than currently.

1 Like

Solid feedback and agree this would be a big improvement. Hope the devs are listening.

1 Like

Bartuc’s-Cut-Throat

One-Handed Damage: (77-88) - (137-155) (varies)
Durability: 69
(Assassin only)
Requires Agility: 79
Strength Required: 79
Requires level: 42
Claws - Very slow attack speed
Martial Arts +1 (assassins only)
Assassin skill level +2
Hit Recovery Speed ​​+30%
+150-200% Damage Increase (varies)
25 - 50 additional damage
20% hit bonus
5-9% Life Steal per Hit (varies)
Strength +20
Agility +20

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a better weapon than this in the martial arts assassin’s arsenal. Assassins have no room for improvement with weapons or runewords. Base. System itself has a martial arts skill that cannot be assassinated, a trap that is vulnerable to resistance reduction and absorption items, and low defense that cannot even use fade and bust of speed at the same time (1000-2000)

Add 1% chance of not consuming martial arts charge per each Cluster Mastery skill

1 Like

It’s the mechanics of the charge ups that’s the problem, mosaic is just lipstick on a pig that doesn’t solve the problem. OP is right that MA will always we under power because it requires 2 actions preform one payoff. You do no damage when you’re charging and the payoff is pitiful compared to a 1 click move like charged strike.

You either have to buff the damage of the charge up skills significantly or make them easier to charge to make them worth it.

I mean why can’t the charge ups give you an effect while your charging them in addition to when they are released. It’s pretty garbage that you’re doing no damage trying to charge them in the first place.

1 Like

Agree with most points. The runes and the affixes all need to be adjusted across the board for all 8 of these runewords:

1 Like

mosaic and metamorphosis don’t feel D2 items as D2 items are simple

for metamorphosis you should remove the marks and the helm becomes:

• +20% Bonus to Attack Rating
  • Increase Maximum Life 40%
  • +25% Attack Speed
  • +25% Chance of Crushing Blow
  • Physical Damage Received Reduced by 20%
  • +5 to Shape Shifting Skills (Druid only)
  • +50-80% Enhanced Defense
  • +10 to Strength
  • +10 to Vitality
  • All Resistances +10
  • Cannot be Frozen

for mosaic remove the not consume effect and increase the stats:

• +4 to Martial Arts (Assassin only)
  • +30% Increased Attack Speed
  • +200-250% Enhanced Damage
  • +20% Bonus to Attack Rating
  • Adds 3-14 Cold Damage
  • Prevent Monster Heal

Then do balance changes to martial arts, right from the bat charges duration increased to 180 seconds.

the issue with martial arts is that 75% of attacks are used to build up and 25% is the actual damage

options:

1. add damage when hitting to the charge-up skills so you don’t lose too much DPS when you are in the charge-up cycle
    OR
  2. finishing move refund charges after x seconds
    OR
  3. charge-up skills give all charges at once
3 Likes

This will change D2 into D3, no more D3 plz!

Repair IAS problems on ALL Weapons or change CtC to charges or +x to BoS to be mini “CTA”.

Agreed, move it to MA skills, % chance per skill and maybe decrease each charge consumption to 2-3 finnish hits on higher lvls.

1 Like

I posted this elsewhere but figured it is worth throwing in this thread.

I think mosaic runeword needs a complete re-work. Better yet removed and instead re-work the existing unique claws.

The chance to not consume charges sounds nice but as many people have said its not as great as it sounds. For the elemental MA at least something that gives minus to enemy cold, fire or lightning resists would be more helpful.

The runeword also needs more IAS (as do a most of the claws to be honest) I find it pretty difficult; and if you aren’t using greater/runic talons near impossible to hit final attack BP without using BoS. More IAS would give flexibility to chose between fade or BoS.

As stated above I’d rather them do away with the runeword and fix the current unique claws we have. Something like

Bartucs: add flat AR and IAS.
Shadow Killer: add +MA skills, -25 enemy cold resists and IAS.
Firelizard: add -25 to enemy fire resist and increase IAS.

Also allow lawbringer and crescent moon to be made in claws, add the chance not to consume charges in the skill tree (Claw mastery or individually to fists of fire, claws of thunder and blades of ice) and the MA assassin would be much better off.

Removing/adjusting NHD so we aren’t expending charges that do no damage will also be helpful.

1 Like

Thats why Fade and BoS should be combined to work together, especially if BoS would be available for all characters.

My proposition was:

Mosaic
+2 to Assa skills
+2-3 to Martial Arts (varies)
+35% Increased Attack Speed
+250-350% Enhanced Damage
Ignores Targets Defence*
-15-25% to Enemy Fire Resist
-15-25% to Enemy Light Resist
-15-25% to Enemy Cold Resist
prevent monster heal

-* if they dont “fix” or rebuild chance to hit for elemental attacks (ele should always hit like every elemental spells or like Charged Strike [physical dmg is determined by AR, but ele dmg always hit]).

1 Like

Please don’t add mosaic’s effect to claw mastery, that would seriously mess with phoenix strike. You need to be able to know which charge you’re releasing with phoenix strike, it’s hard with the occasional missed charge attack.

Keep it to mosaic or why not add it to the general affix pool, but don’t force it onto everyone.

1 Like

The Marks should be also added to WW and WB skills. And not consumeing Charges should be added on the Finisher skills also.

But we should not forget, chance to not consume quantity was an on item only mechanic, before Blizz reworked Throw Mastery, and added the mechanic to the skill.

So maybe it should be added to the finishers instead of claw mastery? Each one can cap out at 33% to not consume a charge at 20 points invested?

maybe then with each point invested in a charge skill it could increase the duration of the charges?

I mean those are the skills that actually consume the charges, so why not? They could cap out at 33% yes. Increased charge duration, should be on the charge skills imo, because those are the skills that build up charges. It just makes more sense for me. But it’s just my opinion.

Yes that’s what I said.

1 Like

I updated the original post with some additional thoughts (marked with EDIT 1/25).

1 Like

Solid feedback, much alike my own feedback. No equipment should change how skills and builds work in D2. That should be changed in the class itself, id put the shapeshifter changes on the werewolf and werebear skills and not on the helmet. And make it mutually exclusive.

1 Like

Really like the suggestions in your edit.

Would like to add for hustle armour to get +1 to teleport, even if it’s just for a single season to see what happens. Interesting to see how the season goes if all classes got early access to teleport.

I was thinking the same thing on this new effect.

Mosaic’s new modifier is fine, but it should not be restricted to a single runeword, and I think a nice way of integrating it is through the Skill Tree. You propose it for claw mastery which is fine, but I think finisher moves could also be a good option, and an incentive for maxing them out, for example (and it’s just an example, I haven’t run calculations on the subject):

• Dragon Talon - +1.5% chance to not consume charges per level
  • Dragon Claw - +2% chance to not consume charges per level
  • Dragon Tail - 4% chance to not consume charges per level
  • Dragon Flight - 5% chance to not consume charges per level

That way, you can actually have fun with the build while you play the game (I’m a solo self found player mostly, so I think about my playstyle), and Mosaic can be the “cherry on top” that gets you 100% chance to not consume charges and “finishes” the build, in similar fashion as Razortail and Wisdom work for reaching 100% pierce on an Bowazon or a Double Throw Barbarian.

I also think the runeword is way underpowered, and it should have one or more of these changes:

• It’s rune cost lowered (from GUL to IST, at least)
  • Include the “Indestructible” mod, to provide a boost in damage and save repair costs
  • Have at least +3 to Martial Arts instead of +2
  • Increase chance to not consume charges from 25% to 40% at least.

This would let you have 100% chance to not consume charges while also leaving a claw slot free for using something like Natalya’s set, for example. It will still be weaker than a trapsin on most cases, but it will be a viable and fun build to use.

Thanks for your feedback in general, it was a interesting read.