Please Buff Useless Runewords

First off, I wanted to say well done by the developers for trying an exciting new feature for D2R, namely Terror Zones. However, as the developers have not announced any new runewords for Patch 2.5, I would like to suggest to atleast improve the viability of lesser used runewords to offer more build diversity as follows…

Enlightenment Runeword
Enlightenment is intended for the Sorceress. It offers little of interest outside of +2 to skills. I recommend adding FCR and bonus to Energy Shield to help make this runeword more competitive vs. Steath…

• Enlightenment
    Pul - Ral - Sol
    5% To Cast Level 15 Blaze When Struck
    5% To Cast level 15 Fire Ball On Striking
    +2 To Sorceress Skill Levels
    +1 To Warmth
    +30% Enhanced Defense
    Fire Resist +30%
    Damage Reduced By 7
  • Proposed Buffs:
    • Add +20% Faster Cast Rate
    • Add +1-3 To Energy Shield (Sorceress Only)

Gloom Runeword
Gloom is a useless runeword and a waste of a Fal, Um, and Pul runes. In order to add more value, I recommend adding Decrepify and increasing level of Dim Vision as follows…

• Gloom
    Fal - Um - Pul
    15% Chance to Cast Level 3 Dim Vision When Struck
    +10% Faster Hit Recovery
    +200-260% Enhanced Defense
    +10 To Strength
    All Resistances +45
    Half Freeze Duration
    5% Damage Taken Goes To Mana
    -3 To Light Radius
  • Proposed Buffs:
    • Add 15% Chance to Cast Level 1 Decrepify On Striking
    • Change to 25% Chance to Cast Level 15 Dim Vision When Struck

Myth Runeword
Myth is arguably the worst runeword in the game. I recommend replacing the useless chance to cast howl/taunt with a bonus to mana per kill and small bonus to CB…

• Myth Runeword
    Hel - Amn - Nef
    +2 To Barbarian Skill Levels
    +30 Defense Vs. Missile
    Replenish Life +10
    Attacker Takes Damage of 14
    Requirements -15%
  • Proposed Buffs:
    • Add +5% Mana Per Kill
    • Add +15% Crushing Blow

Nadir Runeword
Nadir is pretty garbage runeword besides the cloak of shadow charges. To make this runeword better for general purpose fighting, I recommend adding a bonus to AR…

• Nadir
    Nef - Tir
    +50% Enhanced Defense
    +10 Defense
    +30 Defense vs. Missile
    Level 13 Cloak of Shadows (9 Charges)
    +2 To Mana After Each Kill
    +5 To Strength
    -33% Extra Gold From Monsters
    -3 To Light Radius
  • Proposed Buffs:
    • Add +50 To Attack Rating

Principle Runeword
Principle is a lackluster runeword designed for the Paladin. To make this runeword more useful, I recommend adding a bonus to Damage to Demons and Offensive Auras as shown below…

• Principle
    Ral - Gul - Eld
    100% To Cast Level 5 Holy Bolt On Striking
    +2 To Paladin Skill Levels
    +50% Damage to Undead
    +100-150 To Life
    15% Slower Stamina Drain
    +5% To Maximum Poison Resist
    Fire Resist +30%
  • Proposed Buffs:
    • Add +50% Damage To Demons
    • Add +1-3 To Offensive Auras (Paladin Only)

Radiance Runeword
Radiance is a lackluster runeword for helms that slightly improves its wearer’s life and mana pools, but inferior to Lore’s +1 bonus to skills. To make this runeword more appealing, I recommend adding FCR and chance to cast Confuse when struck as follows…

• Radiance
    Nef - Sol - Ith
    +75% Enhanced Defense
    +30 Defense Vs. Missile
    +10 To Energy
    +10 To Vitality
    15% Damage Goes To Mana
    Magic Damage Reduced By 3
    +33 To Mana
    Damage Reduced By 7
    +5 To Light Radius
  • Proposed Buffs:
    • Add +5 To Light Radius
    • Add +10% Faster Cast Rate
    • Add +5% Chance to Cast Level 10 Confuse When Struck

Rain Runeword

Rain is intended for the Druid and is a fairly medicore runeword that provides a boost to skills, maximum mana and mana recovery. To fit the namesake, add +1 to Hurricane (O-skill) and increase chance to cast Cyclone Armor and Twister as follows…

• Rain
    Ort - Mal - Ith
    15% To Cast Level 15 Cyclone Armor When Struck
    25% To Cast Level 15 Twister On Striking
    +2 To Druid Skills
    +100-150 To Mana
    Lightning Resist +30%
    Magic Damage Reduced By 7
    15% Damage Taken Goes to Mana
  • Proposed Buffs:
    • Add +1 To Hurricane
    • Change by increasing chance to cast Cyclone Armor and Twister

Venom Runeword

Venom is arguably the second worst runeword in the game. I recommend re-working this runeword to improve the viability of the daggermancer with bonus to IAS and poison dagger…

• Venom
    Tal - Dol - Mal
    Ignore Target’s Defense
    +273 Poison Damage Over 6 seconds
    7% Mana Stolen Per Hit
    Prevent Monster Heal
    Hit Causes Monster To Flee 25%
    Level 13 Poison Nova (11 Charges)
    Level 15 Poison Explosion (27 Charges)
  • Proposed Buffs:
    • Add +20% Increased Attack Speed
    • Add +3-6 To Poison Dagger (Necromancer Only)

Wind Runeword

Wind is a horrible runeword for the extremely rare Sur rune. I think it would be cool to see this runeword buffed to be worthy of a Blade Fury Assassin by adding a bonus to DS…

• Wind
    Sur - El
    20% To Cast Level 9 Tornado On Striking
    +20% Faster Run/Walk
    +40% Increased Attack Speed
    +15% Faster Hit Recovery
    +120-160% Enhanced Damage (varies)
    -50% Target Defense
    +50 To Attack Rating
    Hit Blinds Target
    +1 To Light Radius
    Level 13 Twister (127 Charges)
  • Proposed Buffs:
    • Add +20% Chance of Deadly Strike
    • Add +3-6 To Blade Fury (Assassin Only)
    • Change by increasing chance to cast Tornado

2 Likes

I don’t really agree that Myth is a worthless Rune word. I think you are much too harsh on these runewords. Maybe they could use a small buff, but I don’t really like the suggestions you have put forward. If anything, I’d rather effort was made in buffing uniques and set than runewords.

2 Likes

If you watch MrLlamaSC youtube video on Runeword Tier List, all of the runewords in the OP are either in the C or D Tier. I agree with him, especially Myth being the worst…

Most of the old 1.09 runewords are garbage and need buffed.

I loved Fury in 1.09, and it was one of the best barb options in the game backtl then. But now it’s total garbage and has been ever since 1.10 dropped.

1 Like

Then I disagree with Mr Llama. Heck, I even started listening to him, and half the runewords he couldn’t remember what they were, so I don’t think he put much thought into his ranking beyond his personal experience with them. Look, Myth isn’t the greatest runeword that’s for sure, but it does have +2 Barbarian Skills at level 25. I used it for my Leap Attack barbarian while waiting to be able to use something like a Duress or a Treachery.

It’s certainly not the worst rune word in the game. That’s probably Venom, Zephyr, or Nadir. Nadir and Zephyr are both cheap, but Nadir is only used for the Cloak of Shadow charges, and then thrown away. It just doesn’t operate properly as a runeword. Zephyr is designed poorly for a bow, Twister when struck? Edge or Insight are better at roughly the same level.

More importantly I feel like your suggested changes are poorly thought out, and don’t give much thought to what the runewords are about or how to buff the existing elements to usefulness. Since I doubt Blizzard is going to keep wanting to come back and fiddle with the same rune word over and over it’s important to get the buff right the first time. And if multiple balance efforts are spent, it will be much better to have multiple buffs than to over buff and then have to nerf it. Blizzard does not like nerfing things after it gets out of PTR. Since this PTR is focused around Terror zones I think we need to be much more cautious about proposed buffs because there is not enough PTR bandwidth to test things a lot.

Venom can’t really be properly balanced until Poison Dagger is balanced properly. I think that fixing Poison Dagger skill comes first, which probably also involves fixing how poison damage works, and then we can look at Venom to figure out the right way to balance it. Considering that and the limited PTR for balance testing I think this runeword needs to be put on the backburner.

Myth, is less worrisome as long as the buffs are more defensive and flavor in nature. Adding crushing blow has more repercussions than can be tested in a PTR not focused on balance. Sure, the current Taunt and Howl Chance to Cast are horrible, but so are almost all the other Chance to Cast on other items. Taunt would actually be useful at a higher level. Howl doesn’t work well with Taunt, but Shout is a defensive warcry that would. Then add an O-skill for people who want to play around with Barbarian skills. Perhaps Grim Ward would make sense, as something less common for both the Barbarian and the non-Barb to play around with. O-skill seems the way to go for the class body armor runewords, as that seems to be part of the flavor, for example, the Warmth on Enlightenment is an O-skill.

I’d probably make it more something like this:

• Myth
    Hel - Amn - Nef
    10% Chance to Cast Level 11 Shout When Struck
    25% Chance to Cast Level 18 Taunt on Striking
    +2 To Barbarian Skill Levels
    +30 Defense Vs. Missile
    Replenish Life +10
    Attacker Takes Damage of 14
    Requirements -15%
    +1 to Grim Ward

Level 18 Taunt reduces enemy damage and attack rating by 39%, while 11 Shout increases defense by 200%. Together that makes for a decent defensive combo. At level 25, most of your points are probably in combat skills or masteries, so it probably better than going with your own native shouts. Grim Ward gives access to Monster Flee but in a more controllable way than Chance to Cast Howl. If you want to push for something more offensive or aggressive like Crushing Blow then I think you need to wait until a PTR with greater focus on item balance.

Enlightenment is better handled, I agree that Faster Cast is needed on it, but rather than adding Energy Shield, I’d suggest Faster Hit Recovery. Not to mention you haven’t addressed the problem of the Chance to Cast not being high enough. If we are going to put this runeword forward to be buffed then we ought to address that as well, because they are not likely to come back later to fix it. My suggestion:

• Enlightenment
    Pul - Ral - Sol
    25% To Cast Level 15 Blaze When Struck
    25% To Cast level 15 Fire Ball on Striking
    +2 To Sorceress Skill Levels
    +1 To Warmth
    +30% Enhanced Defense
    Fire Resist +30%
    Damage Reduced By 7
    +20% Faster Cast
    +30% Faster Hit Recovery

That would make this slightly better than Stealth for a Sorceress. It has 5% less Faster Cast, but it has +2 skill points, and 5% more Hit Recovery. Blaze grants 5% Faster Run/Walk than stealth and at 25% chance to cast is likely to be active (5% is far too little since you should not be hit that much).

Gloom has decent resistances, though it does need some boosting. For one thing the Level 3 Dim Vision lasts less than 2 seconds in Hell difficulty. I don’t understand why you want Weaken or Prevent Monster Heal, how do those fit the Gloom theme? I guess maybe I could understand Weaken if I squint, but then you have two defensive Curses that conflict with each other. The level 15 Weaken will always override the level 3 Dim Vision. Additionally, Weaken works better on When Struck because it’s a defensive curse that can affect ranged attackers that way. If you want a gloomy weakening effect on striking, Decrepify would be much better suited because it’s radius is fixed. Then increasing the level of Dim Vision you’d have the Dim Vision radius always bigger than Decrepify so they could work well together. Something like this:

• Gloom
    Fal - Um - Pul
    25% Chance to Cast Level 15 Dim Vision When Struck
    15% Chance to Cast Level 1 Decrepify on Striking
    +10% Faster Hit Recovery
    +200-260% Enhanced Defense
    +10 To Strength
    All Resistances +45
    Half Freeze Duration
    5% Damage Taken Goes To Mana
    -3 To Light Radius

That way Dim Vision lasts over 4 seconds (in Hell) and has a large enough radius that it’d actually be rather effective at taking packs of ranged attackers out of the fight for a few seconds. Meanwhile, the Decrepify on Striking is an offensive effect, that only impacts the enemy directly around you. At level 1 it also lasts 4 seconds. It’d be an alternative to Reaper’s Toll that only procs half as much of the time. But again, this is the kind of change that takes testing time in PTR, and so I’m not sure it’s a good choice for this PTR.

Nadir is a very defensive runeword and I can’t really get a grasp on the flavor of it. I don’t know if +50 Attack Rating would help, and I don’t see how it fits the theme. I guess I just feel Nadir needs a lot more thought than just throwing stats at it, and I don’t think this PTR is the one to do that in.

Principle is okay, as you said it’s a bit lack luster. I was actually the one that suggested adding Attack Rating to it in your general thread, as that is one of the things lacking. The main problem Principle has it that at level 53 it has a lot of competitors. Going by the theme of O-skill on the class armors, this needs that. Of course, the paladin skill that fits the most with “Principle” is Conviction. Can we handle a +1 Conviction O-skill? True that it couldn’t be worn on a Merc, since the player would need to select the aura and run it on their right click button. Would that over power the Sorceress or Fire Druid? Probably, you could get + All Skills to get it up to level 15 or so. Better than Infinity. So I guess Defiance would be the safer O-Skill to go with “Principle.” Still, I’d like to at least test it out, and that means again better done in a PTR with more item balance focus. This is a buff that needs a lot of thought and planning. I don’t think it can be a small change in a PTR focused elsewhere.

Radiance certainly needs a bit of buffing. Again, I was the one that suggested adding Faster Cast. I still don’t understand why you want damage to the undead on this. Is it for flavor purposes? Because I don’t see how this makes it better for anyone using it. It’s obviously designed for a caster with its + Mana. Nor do I see a melee character wearing this to do more 50% more damage to the undead. If I was to add something flavorful… maybe Confuse curse? That would be a defensive effect that would benefit a caster or a ranged enemy, and it would be in theme with the Radiance from your helm confusing the enemy and blinding it to make it hard to see what it was hitting.

• Radiance
    Nef - Sol - Ith
    +20% Chance to Cast level 10 Confuse When Struck
    +75% Enhanced Defense
    +30 Defense Vs. Missile
    +10 To Energy
    +10 To Vitality
    15% Damage Goes To Mana
    Magic Damage Reduced By 3
    +33 To Mana
    Damage Reduced By 7
    +5 To Light Radius
    +10% Faster Cast

That would make Confuse last 7 seconds in Nightmare (and 3.5 in Hell) and make this a decent counter to packs of ranged enemies. It would also give faster cast to compliment the increased Mana and Energy.

Rain is another runeword where I was the one that suggested the + to Hurricane, though as a +1 O-skill. So I don’t disagree with the change you suggest, but again you don’t increase the Chance to Cast just like with Enlightenment. Those issues need to be addressed as well.

• Rain
    Ort - Mal - Ith
    15% To Cast Level 15 Cyclone Armor When Struck
    25% To Cast Level 15 Twister On Striking
    +2 To Druid Skills
    +100-150 To Mana
    Lightning Resist +30%
    Magic Damage Reduced By 7
    15% Damage Taken Goes to Mana
    +1 Hurricane

That makes this rune word a good choice for a Shapeshifter with the Cyclone armor protecting from elemental damage, and the Twister providing some Stun. You can also cast Hurricane, which can support a Shapeshifter even at low levels because of the chill effect. It’s also not overpowered as an O-skill since unsynergiezed Hurricane just doesn’t do enough damage. Additionally, the huge + Mana just does not fit with its focus on chance to Cast. Either change that to Life, or add Faster Cast for a caster build. Again, this is a runeword that I’d like to take more time testing.

Wind, why is this supposed to be focused on a Blade Fury Assassin? You never explain why, you just put it forward as cool. This runeword certainly has problems. Tornado is basically useless unless synergized, so why is it there on Striking? Twister charges might be useful for stunning things, but charges need reworking themselves, which is a much larger change than this PTR seems able to handle. None of your proposed changes actually address any of these issues with the current things on the Runeword, you’re just adding things to make it fit a Blade Fury Assassin, why? Those things need to be thought out and explained. Especially for such an expensive and flavorful runeword to suddenly be restricted to one build in one class.

If we are going to address a wind themed runeword, then let it be Zephyr. (Zephyr means west wind). Zephyr is lacking in damage (Insight is 200-260% ED), lacking in attack speed (Edge is 35%), and for some bizarre reason the Twister Chance to Cast is When Struck rather than on Striking. On a weapon… on a bow… What it does have going for it is -25% Target Defense, but you can get that just from a gemmed bow with an Eth in it. Okay, so what to do with this, since Insight has the enhanced damage wrapped up, maybe give this the hits a lot niche?

• Zephyr
    Ort - Eth
    100% Chance to Cast level 3 Twister on Striking
    +25% Faster Run/Walk
    +75% Increased Attack Speed
    +66% Enhanced Damage
    -25% Target Defense
    +333 to Attack Rating
    +25 Defense
    Adds 1-50 lightning damage

Okay, now on striking it always casts a Twister which does little damage, but does stun. So it’s useful as a defensive effect. Needs more attack rating to make sure you are always hitting. Looked like the 33 ED and 66 AR repeating numbers had some significance, but 666 is a bad number to use, so switch Enhanced Damage and Attack Rating, to give a small Enhanced Damage boost, and making the +Attack Rating the 333 number. Increased the Attack Speed to +75% to make this the fastest bow around, fitting for a “Zephyr” bow. Since you have such low damage you might as well hit things quickly. Now this bow is just constantly blasting out Twisters to keep the enemy stunned and at a distance. It’s not going to be the typical choice, but it’s flavorful and has some possible uses for defense.

As you might be able to see from my more extended comments, it’s not that I disagree that these runewords need buffing, just that I disagree with how haphazard you are treating. Pushing for changes in this PTR need to either be small, specific, and relatively straightforward (see my suggestions on skill changes), or comprehensively extensive (see my suggestion on buffing Sets) where there isn’t really any expectation that the devs will do all of it, but rather gives them so many options that they can pick whichever ones they prefer to do this PTR.

You’re thread here is in between, neither specific enough to really expect they will all be implemented, but lacking in details as to why a specific change should be made, and not comprehensive enough to give the devs the option of which ones to implement.

If I were you, I’d focus on one, maybe two runewords to really push on promoting change for. From looking at your list, I’d put Enlightenment as the runeword with the best argument for specific changes, and a clear comparison (Stealth as a lower runeword in the same category, and Skin of the Vipermagi as a higher alternative in the same category - conclusion that Enlightenment should be inbetween those two in power).

The other possible runeword that seems straight forward enough to push for changes is Radiance, as it has a clear peer competitor to compare to (Lore) and has a possible empty niche to fill (lack of faster cast on runeword helms).

The other runewords on your list seem to me to either need other problems addressed first, or more thought and testing than can be expected in this PTR focused on Terror Zones.

3 Likes

Appreciate the feedback. I guess we can agree to disagree on Myth, I think this runeword is utter garbage and needs a combat bonus, such as crushing blow.

For Enlighenment, I thought Energy Shield fits the fantasy of being “enlightened” and have an energy shield surrounding you to absorb incoming damage. Having bonus to FHR is too similar to Stealth.

For Gloom, I like your idea better than what I had and updated OP accordingly.

For Nadir, I thought it would be nice to have a low-level runeword for general purpose fighting, so nice AR boost makes it useful.

For Radiance, I like your idea better of adding bonus to light radius and confuse curse and updated OP.

For Rain, I liked your idea of making bonus to Hurricane an O-skill.

Overall, it’s a fun discussion, and I think we both want the same thing, more usefulness out of these runewords. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree, and I do want the same thing of the weak runewords being buffed. I guess I just have other priorities for this PTR. Though I do appreciate how open you are to other ideas and suggestions.

2 Likes

More heads are better than one. :+1:

1 Like

Your proposed changes do virtually nothing to make these runewords more enticing.

For example, Venom adding poison dagger skill will somehow make poison dagger builds a thing? :rofl:

Hi Charles!

I’ve been following your patch suggestion threads and I really like them, but in this case I don’t agree with some of your choices:

I don’t get the hate for Myth. I use it on my Leap Attack and Warcry Barbs and it’s great to have +2 to all skills on an armor so early into the game. However, the +5 mana after death buff you propose is quite nice.

I think the AR buff you propose, while nice and welcome, sorta doesn’t fit with the runeword’s other stats. I’d replace it with a +50% Damage to demons, so it fits with the plus damage to undead and Holy Bolt proc modifiers.

While I love your suggestion of +10% FCR, I think the Confuse proc would be too powerful for the cost (I would definetly use it on many melee characters including Act 2 and 5 mercenaries for crowd control. Take into account that confuse on hit procs usually come from high tier runewords like Dream or Delirium). Players that would choose more FCR instead of +skills that Lore offers, are probably more mana hungry builds like Nova/Frost Nova Sorceresses, and WarCry Barbarians, so on top of the bonus to FCR, you could bump the mana bonus from 33 to 50. The light radius bonus is fine, and fits the theme as well, so no problem for me there.

I don’t think a bonus to Poison Dagger would make this runeword worth your MAL rune, as Poison Dagger’s damage has never been a real problem (rather its duration is) and the weapon would still be weaker than a “Blackbog’s Sharp” with a SHAEL rune socketed into it (and that’s quite cheaper than the MAL rune required for this runeword).

I think the Attack Speed buff is fine and needed, but I would bump it to +30%. Also and more important, I would give it a -30% enemy poison resistance, so it becomes a choice for poison necros in the same way that Crescent Moon presents an interesting choice for Lightning Sorceresses (“¿Do I go for + to skills or negative enemy resistances?”). On top of that, it would be an interesting choice for rabies druids. Bumping the chance to cause a monster to flee (and die from poison away from you) to a 50% or even a 100% would also be nice.

I think going for a “Blade Fury Focused” runeword is a nice idea, but in that spirit I would change the Tornado proc for a 20% chance to proc Twister. That way you could have nice crowd control for standing still and go all ninja on enemies (I still don’t know if it would be worth the SUR rune, but it could have some more utility)

Overall, nice post as always, keep up the good suggestions!

1 Like

For Principle, that’s a great idea and updated OP accordingly. I hear you on Radiance, and significantly lowered chance to cast confuse to 5% (instead of 20%). I still think it fits the fantasy of being confused when you see radiant light source. On Wind, I increased chance to cast Tornado. Thanks.

For Venom, how would you make this runeword viable? My thought was giving Poison Dagger options and fits the fantasy.

1 Like

Holy Bolt on Striking isn’t very useful if you don’t actually hit the monster. That’s why I suggest Attack Rating, it something that is a way to strengthen melee characters without increasing damage. If you can reliably hit the monster, then you can build characters around more esoteric ability like Chance to Cast on Striking.

1 Like

Adding -poison resistance for starters.

In honesty, the weapon is garbage for both casters and melee. If you want it to focus on melee builds like Venom assassin or rabies druid than ED and IAS are both necessary to make it viable. For a poison Necro, faster cast and + skills. Maybe faster run/walk.

The big problem with poison damage is that it will not tick if other damage is being done so you are forced to hit a target and move on for maximum effect…

1 Like

A balance pass on all types of gear would be ideal really.

1 Like

Here is another take on Venom, focused on melee builds. What do you think?

• Venom
    Tal - Dol - Mal
    Ignore Target’s Defense
    +273 Poison Damage Over 6 seconds
    7% Mana Stolen Per Hit
    Prevent Monster Heal
    Hit Causes Monster To Flee 25%
    Level 13 Poison Nova (11 Charges)
    Level 15 Poison Explosion (27 Charges)
  • Proposed Buffs:
    • Add +150% Enhanced Damage
    • Add +20% Increased Attack Speed