Partial refund for lost time, items, characters?

They wouldn’t do a partial refund for a box sale, or of any direct monetary amount unless it was a full game refund with a legit reason.

They’ve only ever done partial refunds in the form of subscription time in WoW. Day 1 server issues isn’t a reason that legally requires Blizzard to give people their money back. This is common for launch day in big multiplayer games and people should expect this of Blizzard by this point. They’ve been botching online game launches since WoW.

The way I resolve this is I just don’t schedule off work. I go to work, I come home, and by the time I’m online everything generally is working okay. Rollbacks are the tax you pay for playing the moment the servers go up lol.

2 Likes

It’s been said all over but it’s just plain pathetic this is the standard. Hilarious part of all this is I played the closed/open beta with like 20 + crashes and never got a rollback.

Yeah for sure, I agree that this should not be the standard. But it’s simply the reality and people shouldn’t be surprised anymore.

Technology is becoming increasingly complex, and the gaming market continues to grow. Throwing money at a problem doesn’t always necessarily solve it either, despite what people would like to believe. Sometimes there are simply technological constraints that there is currently no work around for. I’m sure there are better ways to handle big game launches though, without incurring such bad server stability or rollbacks, but of course Blizzard is just trying to make the most amount of money with the least amount of spending. By cramming as many people into the servers as possible, or whatever it is. This is what just about every other company would attempt to do. But these types of business practices are also becoming increasingly looked down upon, and Blizzard’s goodwill is in the toilet now.

People are willing to overlook these things for the moment, because they really want to play their games. Blizzard won’t last though if they keep going this way. People are only buying their games because they are re-releasing classics. Now that they are just about out of them to remaster, there may be dark times ahead unless they can re-invent themselves completely, and somehow breathe new life into their major franchises that are becoming stale.

I am 100% sure he is just trolling. In the case he is not well you have been complaining on this post for nearly 5 hours now. If you would have just played the game you would have made back all your progress…

On a serious note. At least they are finding these issues now. At least you haven’t put 100s or 1000s of hours on the game and then you lost everything. This is always a possibility, although its a slim one. I am sure Blizzard keeps backups on backups of data and will do their best to maintain the integrity of the game for years to come. But if Blizzard hosts your save and the servers they own the data and can do what they want with it. When you agree to the ToS they address these issues. They can try but can’t guarantee that nothing will ever happen to your account or saves. It is possible that ransomware some day affects all their backups and they lose everything. If you don’t like that well they made an offline mode and I suggest you play that. Honestly this is a big reason why the ToS exist, to prevent people from suing or fighting them over minor things such as this.

I’m not trolling and you clearly haven’t read much because MY OFFLINE SINGLEPLAYER characters were wiped/deleted completely alongside my online being rolled back.

For your lost character you might want to reply to the following topic:

and follow the suggested steps:

Thank you Gulgir !!!

Are you sure you made an offline character? As in select the offline tab in top right? People have been creating online characters and hitting play(skipping the lobby section) and believing they had an offline toon.

A server rollback does not affect an offline save. There could be a bug that is preventing an offline account from writing to the save or something similar to that. I would check your d2R saves folder and see if they are in there and see if they update time stamps as you play.

It was definitely an offline character. Funny part is while that offline character got deleted, I am able to for sure copy/paste old original d2 save files and they work just fine. My main worry now though is even if I say “I don’t trust d2 servers anymore” and only play offline, if my offline character was wiped how can I ever trust if in the future my offline will get wiped back 20/40 levels.

Why? It’s day two. Give it some time!

So one thing you could do with offline characters (assuming PC) is make a batch file that copies your saves out of that folder to another location. You can run that on a timed basis as often as you want. You could also occasionally do it manually.

I think diablo 2 saves every couple minutes, its not instantaneous like diablo 3 was. With that said it should be almost impossible to go back 20 levels unless the game is not actively saving. That would be a whole other issue though because if that is the case then even making copies of the save file would not help you. That would be a bug that needs to be addressed by Blizzard.

Simply WOW then.
So if you go to an amusement park and one of the rides breaks down or you wait in line longer that the posted “approx x amount of mins from this point” do you go right to management and demand a partial refund?

Has something to do with same names on an offline and online. Not sure if relevant to you.

One of them was the same name as my online druid so appreciate the pastes info.

This game will be around for 10 years or more.

So, let’s say you lose 8 hours of playtime.

Would you like a check or direct deposit for the $0.0000000000001 value of play time you’ve lost?

Just get a grip dude and be just a little less entitled. Your life hasn’t been ruined and you really aren’t owed anything….

1 Like

1 blocked character with the already game in message, and cannot create any new game, always get a black screen with all new char…

here are the logs : 9/24 23:30:52.534 [CommandDefinition/4] [<>:0]: Could not find ExecuteCommandCa - Pastebin.com

Please describe how its entitled wanting compensation for them DELETING MY CHARACTER which is the entire point and way you play the game is through CHARACTERS.

If you can’t figure it out there is now way to explain it to you.

However, I’ll start you off with a hint. When you are at work how much do you pay back to the company that pays your paycheck for each mistake you make?

You are owed nothing.

Further no software launch has ever been flawless. Clearly this isn’t your first computer game. You know better. You choose to dive in on launch day. You know better.

You are owed nothing.

Anyone in this forum thread change their minds yet about my opinion over the past 3 days ? :slight_smile:

In Vanilla Warcraft they would refund game time based on how long the servers were down for if it was an unexpected downtime but that was because you were constantly paying if you were subbed.

In this game you paid one time and get access to the servers when they are available for play.