Only two skills available at the same time?

Hi there, I did not play D2 before and I just realized (to my dismay) that I can only play with two skills (left click and right click) at the same time. Unless I missed something, it seems the key bindings for the other skills do not activate these skills but just switch the current right click skill to another one. I wonder what is the point of having so many skills available if you can only use two at the same time. How do you guys manage playing efficiently in spite of this limitation? Do you for example use left click for a support aura and right click for your main combat skill, or the opposite? Thanks in advance for your advice (I am playing a Paladin for now).

You hotkey your set of spells… F1-F8 are default but you can add as many hotkeys as you want if you go into options or if you don’t like the F keys you can change it up.

1 Like

Yes I know, that’s what I did. But as I said clicking on the hotkey does not activate the skill, it just switches your right-click skill to a different one…

Right…then you click right or left mouse button for when you want to attack…? Click click click F key click click F key click click. Lol what else were you expecting? Auto spells and aiming? D2 requires a bit of APM, start clicking…

2 Likes

But then can you have at the same time an active aura and your main combat skill for example?

Of course, most popular combos being Zeal/Fanaticism, FoH/Conviction, Hammer/Concentrate, Smite/Fanaticism, Charge/Might, etc…

3 Likes

OK, so I guess you need to choose your two-skill combo based on the type of fight you are about to undertake. Thanks.

Yes, and in between fights you can use your hotkeys to quickly switch to charge or teleport (when you get enigma) to move around to areas more quickly.

1 Like

Don’t forget that you can assign some hotkeys to the left and some to the right. You can also set it to have different skill ready on weapon swap. And the mouse wheel scrolls through anything hotkeyed to the right button. So with just a little practice you can swap through them fairly quickly (if you remember what you assigned where lol).

2 Likes

Yes playing d2 requires effort. That’s a good thing.

Yes. This is normally how it works.

I also keyed WASD to my four belt slots.

new with this release. if you play with a controller. you can assign skills to the different buttons on the controller to activate them… depending on personal preference a controller could be more enjoyable to play with. I’m playing with a controller on PC and prefer it over M/K for the most part!

2 Likes

And, imagine this …

This concept that you find so difficult to master, has been the theme for the D2 franchise for OVER 20 years!!!

And, it has worked just fine.

WOW! OVER 20 years! AND, has worked just fine? One could only imagine such a concept!

I advise, learn the game mechanics, learn the skills available for your character. Play and learn how to use your characters skills. Develope a game style that adheres to this 20 year old concept that people have been using all along!

Wait!

I just remembered… you are playing a paladin. LOL. A hammerdin per chance?

You don’t need skill or even more skills. A chimpanzee can play that character.

[Tele-tele-tele, Shift-left-click, pot-pot-pot, town, repot, rinse and repeat]

There is no skill, no challenge, there is absolutely nothing for you to do to strain yourself or your brain. It is as simple as the method above. You could be the biggest stoner in the world and half asleep and play a hammerdin.

It is not a class of char i would brag at being good at, lmfao!! It shows lack of skill and imagination as well as lack of any effort whatsoever. And, if you canot master that class, there is NO hope for you at all!

1 Like

I play my bonemancer with a controller because it has a lot more on-use bindings. I think it was 10 total? Something like that.

Plays very nicely on controller too.

1 Like

He wasn’t bragging or anything you weird elitist. He was just asking questions and you being the " i only have diablo 2 on my pc" came in and made it really weird. find a different hobby

2 Likes

There are a few builds that I prefer M/K for, but I’ve mostly switched to using a controller. Strafeazon plays great.

There is an option in Options which let’s you active skills when using hotkeys. That’s what you’re looking for, right?!

1 Like

And, imagine this … it has been cumbersome for OVER 20 years!!!

That’s why other games have implemented klick to cast.
And image that … that’s why d2r now offers that option as well!!!
WOW!

2 Likes

Think of it like playing an FPS game. You use the mouse to aim and shoot, and you use the keyboard to switch weapons. It’s very smooth once you get used to the rhythm.

The paladin is a bit problematic since you can only put auras on your right click. Right click has different mechanics than left click, and generally it’s better to use your skills from right click.

In D2R you can enable quick keys in the options and that makes skills activate when you press the hotkey. Makes playing paladin a bit more tolerable.