Offline single player

This is probably a crazy question. Is it possible to play D2R without going through Battlenet? I’m playing on a laptop and do not play multiplayer games. Launching the game takes what seems like forever.

1 Like

Nope, D2R has DRM that requires Bnet unfortunately.

When you first purchase D2R you will need to log in with Bnet (requires internet connection) to “verify” that you own the game, then you can start playing offline single player without an internet connection for up to 30 days.

After those 30 days have passed then you will need to log in to Bnet again to get a verification token to play another 30 days without internet, repeat as needed.

You can launch D2R directly from the executable (D2R.exe located in your installation folder) which allows you to bypass the Bnet launcher, you’ll still need a valid token to play though.

I wish it was like original D2 where it wasn’t locked down with DRM but alas this is how it goes with modern Blizz games.

1 Like

Yes.
You can play most of the time offline without being connected to battle.net, BUT…

– you have to be disconnected from the internet, or have your connection to battle.net blocked via firewall. (I prefer to disconnect from the internet while I’m playing.)

– you still have to connect to battle.net once every 30 days in order to refresh your authentication credential.

Just make a short-cut to the D2R.exe file and place it on your desktop to start the game.
This bypasses the battle.net launcher. (after you do something about your internet connection.)

Thanks for the replies and info. I was just annoyed because I’m playing on a laptop and it seems to take a long time to launch the game. I don’t plan on playing online and thought the game might launch faster if I didn’t also have to launch Battle.net.

Here’s a reddit post of a like minded individual that mostly talks about loading times but also about how to launch without it connecting to BNet. This doesn’t supersede anything other posters have mentioned about authentication every 30 days but it might be what you are looking for: https://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/qey05y/d2r_single_player_tips_to_improve_your_load_times/

1 Like

i just found this meme for you

it’s too early in the morning for me and i can’t post pictures properly… but god damn… help please someone that knows better… this is the link…

https://scontent.fzih1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/325785616_1181932542761163_2978308016694078103_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=2c4854&_nc_ohc=pT1v5Jwf51MAX9MzIz9&_nc_ht=scontent.fzih1-1.fna&oh=00_AfAc9W7DKIvvlSBXCpdhzngfVSoul1gsWCXA93n3Cmk1xQ&oe=63CF5664

oh lol then it just works what is this world.

3 Likes

Spot on! I would generally add games that can be soloed, even if multiplayer is a big part of them, to the same category.

Although that meme is a bit off, I’d think that Xi would love to add an online requirement to absolutely everything.