Offline character is gone

No.

The saved games folder is (by default) in your “C:\Users\(your computer username)\” folder. NOT in your D2R folder, or in your Documents folder.

Unless, of course, you moved or deleted it.

Where are these local saves stored? I have no files indicating a local save for D2R in my system directory. I’m confused how that could happen when I saved/exited and returned multiple times yesterday.

Only after being off-system last night and returning this morning did the missing character occur.

I did neither. Other than shutting down my computer last night and returning this morning to a missing character save, I haven’t touched my PC since closing my game.

Similar issue, but with a BSOD in between.
Afterwards my offline char was rolled back about 3h of playtime. However, I did at least 10 ‘save and exit’ in between, just to be ‘sure’ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
The weird thing is that all the stuff I put in the shared stash in the meantime is still there, so I guess the game just didn’t actually ‘save and exit’ when I asked it to.
Leave it to Blizzard to screw up offline saves -_-

Create a character, turn off the game, press the search funcion at your desktop, search for the name, open the folder the file is located in. (If you still don’t see anything, then you need administration permissions to see the folder / alternatively it could be hidden, make your way to the location where it -should- be, then find the option button to ‘Show hidden files’ etc. Just an idea, If not then i’ve no idea.

There is now a pinned post about this issue: Diablo II: Resurrected - Offline Character Loss Prevention - General Discussion - Diablo 2 Resurrected Forums (blizzard.com)

4 Likes

Appreciate the head’s up.

Yep.

For the time being, we advise you not to use the same name for your offline characters and online characters, since that is related to this bug.

Thanks for the share Timberwolf - I too will share the link below to help with visibility. As of this post, we won’t be needing any more log files. Big thanks to everyone who chimed in to share!

3 Likes

So… does deleting the online character you already made get rid of the bug or does one need to start their offline character over again?

Is that the only bug that causes this and/or the only way this can happen?
Is it the same bug that causes character rollbacks (not outright deletion)?

I deleted my online character (same name as my offline character) and it deleted the profile of that offline character as well within the ‘Save’ folder. Luckily I saved a copy and pasted back to the folder. Still can’t see the character in-game however.

I would avoid deleting any characters at this time.

That is just hilarious and ridiculous at the same time.

Well, my 'zon is only Lv6 with the den of evil completed so no big loss I guess. I’ll just put all of her crap in the shared stash.

Same here, offline character has gone in the morning after couple of hours play last night, no char files in save location, incredibly frustrating, now i can’t trust it, is it worth playing at all now?

1 Like

Where is the save location defaulted to? I don’t have a save folder in any of my related folders despite having two characters.

It will be in your Users folder, normally in C:\Users\{your computer account name}\Saved Games\.

The same just happened now to my offline character in the Nintendo Switch version.
Everything with that character was fine until the game updated.
Then that character was gone after the update.

The same just happened to my offline character on my Nintendo Switch.
Except everything was going smoothly with it for many hours of play first, until the game updated today.
Then that offline character was gone after the update.
So as a result, I just lost a lot of progress on that character when it disappeared. This is frustrating, discourages me from taking a chance on creating a new character and investing any time in it until this issue is fixed.

Just updated the game with the supposed fix, and my character is still not showing. Is it definitively gone?

If it was an offline character, then yes. It’s gone. I don’t belive they have any of that data as Offline is saving all the data on your computer, while the online characters only save a coupple ID/Keys whatever on your computer. However it should be fixxed now, at least the Offline stuff.

Yup, my Offline character is gone as well. Was starting Act 3 on a Necro when I quit out last night. Now, I log in and see it’s gone. Check around to see what’s going on, Blizzard claims this is fixed, but I’m still out my character.