Offline character Failed to join game

My power cut out as I was in-game offline, and now after reboot, I get the error message “Failed to Join Game” for any offline character and online characters fail with the message “An issue occurred while communicating with the game servers. Please check that you are connected to the internet and try again” – yes. I am connected to the internet. I’ve rebooted the PC twice and scanned for corrupted files.

To summarize, I cannot play offline (or online) after an improper game shutdown.

–UPDATE–

After uninstalling and reinstalling the game (and after the server reset), I was able to get an online character to load. Offline characters are still erroring with “Failed to Join Game”

PC USA

–UPDATE 2–

As mentioned below, it turns out I actually can start an offline game with a hardcore character, and a pre-expansion character, but not with a softcore expansion character, which is what I was using when the power cut. Creating new characters and/or deleting characters does not affect anything.

6 Likes

It’s down for 90% of the player base atm. Online and Offline.

1 Like

I think they were not prepared for the large volume of players trying to enter at the same time

1 Like

That shouldn’t matter for my issue, since I’m trying to play offline.

2 Likes

How have they managed to have issues in Offline Games too? What a joke!

Not certain that they are. I’ve jumped in and out of games with my offline character while have sold things, identified, and TPed. No issues for me.

Well, my game is pretty unplayable at the moment. It was working great until the power blip forced my computer to restart.

It was a great five minutes, though. I jumped in, killed some monsters, bought/sold stuff, started quests, talked to “people” I haven’t seen in years.

I can’t play offline either, when starting the game it says that I wasn’t online before, but that’s not true.
EU, Germany.

My kitten stood on the reset button on the powerboard my PC is plugged into aka power cut out while playing offline mode. After booting back up my game says “failed to join game” too every time I hit play :frowning: so yeah it’s the power dropout causing it.

1 Like

Same. D2R caused a bluescreen and, after rebooting, my offline characters “failed to join game.”

3 Likes

Same happened to me. Cat knocked over my power cables and shut off the power to my computer. I fired up D2 Res. again and my character was gone ( wtf? ). So I made a new character ( with a different name ) and then tried to make a game and " failed to join game.". LOL, why? Could it be that D2 Res doesn’t store single player games on your computer and stores them on blizzards servers? If so this would be one of the stupidest things I’ve ever seen. I guess I can expect this to get fixed a long time out too. Shame, what I saw of the game was pretty fun.

2 Likes

Update, looks like when I start a softcore character there’s no problem, only get the failed to join thing with a hardcore character. Again wtf?

This exact same thing happened to me.

1 Like

Thanks for the update. This is really weird. I was playing a softcore expansion character when the power blip happened. Now I can create (offline) a softcore pre-expansion or hardcore character and successfully play, but not a softcore expansion character.

Does anyone know where the characters are stored on your hard drive? Maybe we could just delete the character that we can’t reach and perhaps fix the problem?

I really hope that’s not the case. I bluescreened as the skill tome dropped after killing the Act 2 sewer boss, so that’s a few hours of gameplay. I tried creating new single player, offline characters, and they likewise are unable to play.

This just happened to me after a power outage too. Creating a new offline character doesn’t fix it either

2 Likes

The characters are under C:\Users\$USERNAME$\Saved Games\Diablo 2 Resurrected, but it doesn’t do any good to delete them from personal experience. Luckily I hadn’t even made it to the den of evil.

1 Like

The characters are under C:\Users\$USERNAME$\Saved Games\Diablo 2 Resurrected , but it doesn’t do any good to delete them from personal experience. Luckily I hadn’t even made it to the den of evil.

I went to that folder and deleted everything but settings and that worked. I just started a hardcore game with the same character name that disappeared. So it seemed to work for me.

1 Like

Same issue! My computer was having issues and crashed multiple times (I have a new GPU and new RAM, probably related to some issue with either of these). After I got my PC back online I’m getting this issue. Failed to join game and also goes for any other new offline characters. WTF?

UPDATE: I cut all the files from my saved games including the one with settings. Started the game again and was able to make a new character. Afterwards I pasted only the files of my old character back and it works now.

1 Like