Obsession Runeword vs x2 Spirit

I want to say that Double Spirit is just about as good as Obsession is. Obsession has a few perks, but ultimately I don’t think it makes it stand above the others for making Zod worthy of its rune number.

I love Spirit in all of its overpowered-for-its-runes glory. I’m not suggesting nerfing Spirit, but for a Runeword using Zod it really needs to be able to compete against x2 TalThulOrtAmn. That’s not even getting into other Spirit Shield + weapon slot combos, but I don’t see Obsession winning out against a lot of those either.

What about adding something similar to Ormus robes and Rainbow Facets to Obsession? Any other suggestions?

+10-15% To Skill Damage (varies)
-3-5% to Enemy Resistance (varies)
Elemental rolls and could be lightning, fire, or cold.

Double spirit:

+4 To All Skills
+50-70% Faster Cast Rate (varies)
+110% Faster Hit Recovery
Adds 1-50 Lightning Damage
Adds 3-14 Cold Damage 3 Second Duration (Normal)
+75 Poison Damage Over 5 Seconds
7% Life Stolen Per Hit
+500 Defense vs. Missiles
+44 To Vitality
+178-224 To Mana (varies)
+6-16 Magic Absorb (varies)
Cold Resist +35%
Lightning Resist +35%
Poison Resist +35%
Attacker Takes Damage of 14

Obsession:

Indestructible
24% Chance to cast level 10 Weaken when struck
+4 To All Skills
+65% Faster Cast Rate
+60% Faster Hit Recovery
Knockback
+10 To Vitality
+10 To Energy
Increase Maximum Life 15-25% (varies)
Regenerate Mana 15-30% (varies)
All Resistances +60-70 (varies)
75% Extra Gold from Monsters
30% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

2 Likes

Yep I was thinking exactly the same thing w.r.t. 2x spirit. Also why does a caster staff need a zod? I like some of the mid-lvl runewords that they’ve come up with… kind-of, but this is definitely a dud.

One hidden bonus of the Obsession runeword is that you don’t need to put a bunch of points into Strength (for wearing a Monarch), so your HP will be higher.

1 Like

Yeah. I don’t want to just complain, I’m happy for all the new stuff and the love. Just trying to give some non-toxic feedback lol

But I’m with you. I’m happy to see Cham getting used in more things. But there’s a reason most trade values put Cham and Zod as worth about a few Ists – I don’t see Obsession making Zod stand out much more than it already does. I don’t see anyone fighting over Zod runes for this. One of the reasons I suggested the random element was with that in mind.

Fair point, 100 fewer points into str plus the life boost on the staff… still feels like it needs to be stronger though to justify the rune, or use a lower rune.

another failed attempt by developers, who still dont understand players. This whole 2.4 is a giant let down

1 Like

One silver lining is that Staves have Staff mods so you can make this in a base that has something like +3/+3/+3 for skills that you care about.

Something like +3 Blizzard / +3 Cold Mastery / +3 whatever else would be pretty neat

3 Likes

That’s a good point I didn’t consider! It certainly adds some baseline value there. Similar to how White works. I still stand by my original post in that I think some tweaks and not pretending that Spirit is OP and needs to be taken into consideration otherwise it’ll just end up being BIS with several other alternative weapons.

The fact you don’t get a shield, which means you lose defense (armor, blocking, etc) means it should at least an equivalent amount of -defense and give some +offense. That was something I didn’t bring up in the first post either. Your observations may balance that bit out, which leaves the need for still needing something extra to make its value match.

interesting comparison, but this staff w/ staff mods is hands down more godly than 2x spirit. It will be a nice piece of aspirational gear for sorcs- will also be good to see more sorcs w/ staffs.

4 Likes

are you saying they should add blocking for the staff? because then it’d be great and insanely end game :smiley:

Spirit should be nerfed just a little though.

1 Like

It will be a nice piece of aspirational gear for sorcs- will also be good to see more sorcs w/ staffs.

And I bet every single bowa zon and bvc think it’s a great idea too lol. Yes yes more staff sorcs plz

+3 primary damage skill (lightning/blizzard etc) /+3 mastery may generate the same amount of damage as escuta + spirit.

A total of +5 skills instead of +4 would definitely make the staff worth it. Or even a small amount of -5-10% enemy resistance. Or even adding a blocking chance.

This item should be top tier because of the use of Zod which should be a top tier rune.

It’s sad that right now no staff is worth it.

I thinke that runeword will be top tier for sorcs with the right base. Sadly. Sorcs are not strong enough.

You get +7 skills, more life, more mana more stats into vit/engery…

But only the rich gets the right base and the right base will be more value than 20 zods :stuck_out_tongue:

I want to add my two cents here. I think the main purpose of Obsession is to increase the value of Zod. Putting it in a runeword for sorc makes sense as it is the most used class, but they are just getting close to making this great. It’s a good runeword, but currently it won’t really be used and if it is, it’s only for niche style points. So Zod won’t be desired. I think an easy and simple way to make this runeword better is to just give it +5 skills, then with staff mods, you can hit +8, I don’t think it gets higher than that. This makes it better than two spirits, equivalent to spirit hoto, etc.

This won’t be the highest dps, sure that’s fine, but you can then search for really cool +3 *3 staffs for this runeword and it has a ton of utility and can be theoretically used on any sorc build without giving it much thought. I would throw on some mana (because you need some) and / or life to synergize with the +% life and then you have a runeword people actually WANT. This will become a great item that increases the value of Zod, which I believe is the sole purpose of this runeword. I also don’t believe adding +5 vs +4 will make it op where as adding some +% or -% enemy res might push it into OP category.

1 Like

Given the same scenario, White runeword on requires 2 low-mid runes that has a potential to be a end game gear. And it is only one-handed weapon.

To require a Zod and a Ist rune and a ridiculous luck on getting the right staff mod for this feels a bit lack luster. I feel like it’s going to be treated just like Mang Song’s Lesson.

Mang Song’s Lesson:

+5 to All Skills
+30% Faster Cast Rate
-7-15% to Enemy's Cold Resistance
-7-15% to Enemy's Fire Resistance
-7-15% to Enemy's Lightning Resistance
Regenerate Mana 10%

No
Weapon Block is broken and is able to Block anything in the game while shield Block dont

Obsession just goes to show this team of Devs have no idea how to play this game