My thoughts about personal vs shared loot

Most of the people wanting things such as instanced loot, rebalanced skills, immunity designs looked at, etc HAVE played the game already, and have been looking at most of these changes since 2003/2004. Only the ones about stacking items, charm inventories, loot filters etc have come from the mods or D3, and even then, most of those people have already played the game.

This is going to be going on even when the game is released…

It’s a little ridiculous to me…people in the D3 forums have asked for FFA loot for years. Now people want personal-loot in … D2. Let it be. There is no right side or wrong side as far as which is “better” or more “fun”. Your guys’ opinion is not the same as mine and probably most people, for that matter. It’s pointless to try to point out “pros” and “cons”. Personal-loot simply isn’t a thing in D2 and personal-loot isn’t an objectively “better” replacement. I continuously see people trying to make it seem otherwise though.

What it’s come down to and what I’m seeing the discussion … evolve into is that people at least want the option of personal loot (as if it’s just some minor little thing) and those of us that want loot to remain the same are preventing that, somehow. It’s an…odd stance to have, if you as me; perhaps fitting for the times. Everybody wants all these “little changes”, well, all these “little changes” will add up and fundamentally change the D2 experience. You can’t always have everything tailored to your, um… wants, in this case. Unless you can present something that is objectively better and/or that an overwhelming majority agree with I don’t think change is warranted. It also seems fairly reasonable to keep personal-loot in D3 and FFA loot in D2.

I’d be pretty shocked if Blizzard made a change on this one. With that said, I really need to stop giving these topics any more attention :pensive:

I am a regular on the D3 forums for a long time. I can not recall thee being much support or threads asking for FFA loot in D3. Can you use the forum search function and pull up some of those supposed requests? If they exist, there are few and far between.

Since there is no right answer and it is a matter of preference where more respondents in the reddit poll preferred personal loot options (49%)) to FFA only (395%), Blizzard should offer both options and be doe with it.

I would be less surprising now that Blizzard has specifically asked the players interest in having personal loot instead of FFA loot at D2R launch.

Pretty sure the game creator wishes he could have added personal loot but due to software issues in 2000 and yes the mass exodus was due to ffa loot it was everywhere back then your clearly lying hard!!! Your mad because you know deep down this killed your game

Being forced to FFA loot was the best disappointment that could have ever happened then. If it wasn’t for FFA, D2 would have died before Blizzard North was even closed. FFA loot didn’t kill D2. TPPK, Farcast and Pickit (all hacks) did. Maphack is cheaty-faced and proliferated like forest fire in a drought and was one of the most targeted hacks by Blizzard as well as the most controversial among community discussions, but the silent creeping death was the 3 I already mentioned. The D2 loot system is rock solid. :wink:

There definitely are though

That entire post wasn’t directed at you, specifically, by the way… just the first tid-bit. Thought it might come off like that.

Maybe not outright ask, but I’m 100% sure when I was visiting the forums people frequently made comparisons to D2 often citing things like PVP, trading, and FFA loot being reasons the game was better to them. Sometimes developers don’t need people specifically asking for changes, complaints can get that job done as well.

Looks like 36% say “yes” and 39% say “no”. You can easily see the 13% as “yes”, but it’s a huge possibility Blizzard wouldn’t make such a trade-off, so you can see that as “no” just as easily. I mean, I might even say “yes” to personal-loot with some extreme caveats. And I’m glad you brought that up. Those polls don’t necessarily prove anything. And actually I think they are pretty terrible sometimes. People literally just said “yes” to almost everything, obviously without much thought about how it will affect the game/balance. It’s apparent that whatever sounded “nice” was an immediate “yes” for many pollees. I think people do this in general. The mere fact that so many other things were overwhelmingly “yes” compared to FFA vs Personal-loot, I think says a lot, on a poll with a bunch of “yes” men… and of course any random people who haven’t played the game.

Can you show me where they said this? Blizzard is always open to input/feedback, I mean, they can’t really say they aren’t without backlash. I’ve visited the WoW forums for… over a decade on and off and Blizzard does follow player feedback for sure. Still, changing loot is a big one. Probably the most divisive Diablo topic. Any changes will have big ramifications, even a mere option for personal-loot. How would that work? Technically they could probably allow people with different loot options to play together, but more than likely people would then just choose personal-loot and it’ll be less of an option (people will debate this but it’s simply the reality) or it’d be different games/server, and the player-base will be further divided. I also guess most people would just choose personal-loot either way knowing that other people have it “easier”. Once again, people will disagree but this is the truth. It’s like the flying vs anti-flying folk on WoW; the people who want flying tell the people against flying mounts just not to use them which is totally unrealistic. Not many people will intentionally handicap themselves. You guys may be thinking “not our problem”, but it’s really not that simple. I’m obviously for FFA loot and to be 100% honest with you guys, and I am being honest, if there is a loot option and personal-loot is better/more advantageous then I’ll have to pick personal-loot. It is a loot-hunt game, after all. I just don’t see it, not without fundamentally changing the game somehow. I really don’t want D2 to feel like what D3 is to me.

Just my two cents.

See the link below that has screenshots of Blizzard survey sent out in the past week. Check screenshot #6 in particular. Also 7 and 8 are interesting.

Screenshot of Blizzard Survey - Diablo II: Resurrected / General Discussion - Diablo 3 Forums

Wow, you’re right. Thanks for the link…very interesting. I was really under the impression this would be a mostly strict remake with some possible QoL changes (like shared stash). I’m actually open to changes, just taking a hard line on loot.

I am pretty sure it will still be a pretty strict remake if one chooses specific options. I think that Blizzards also know that they need to add flexibility for modern players that will have issues with many outdated elements in a 20 year old game.

I think a lot of the reason people have had bad experiences with FFA loot is the ubiquity of pickit bots that prevent fair play.

people want stacking because they are already well experienced with blizzards obsession with limiting space in looters, like yeah cool i get 50x more storage in World of Warcraft, a MMO where you literally have soul bound equipment that is unanimously trash once you get the next tier of gear, but in the looter game i get a tiny square that has to hold my gems, runes and valuable loot for dozens of potential builds…makes sense.

I dont care what diablo creator would like to have, he left blizzard long time ago. How can you say that something killed diablo 2 lol? That game is still alot played even after 20 years. If anything is killing diablo 2, its time. It still have insanely high replay ability in comparison to other games.

I am honestly afraid of personal loot because it completely killed trade in diablo 3.

Me too. And i honestly dont want some kind of automatic system which will decide my drop for me. I want to have chance to pick up all items which drop from monster. Not have just guaranteed part of it.

Exactly.

They saud that they will have better tools to deal with cheats.

Yeh I got a 3 day ban for making a bad joke and an old guy :smiley:

they cant show you a good reason why it would work. they just want the game to be easier plain and simple.

david brevik is wrong

Prove it, every blizzard game, even HOTS is infested with bots, i have no faith that blizzard will be able to remedy this issue, especially when the foundation of the game is the original D2, the hackers already know all the nooks and corners that are exploitable. A new bnet isnt going to stop the cheating. Diablo 3 is already on the new one, with a much more complicated groundwork, and botting is everywhere.

Prove what? I know its never ending fight with cheaters, but theny said that they will have better tools to fight them.

How can they have better tools when they are already using these tools in much more advanced games and losing, the framework is the same as the original game which already puts it at a disadvantage.

Go watch blizzcon panel with question to them and you will know how.