My mistakes, maybe you can learn

After 20 years I’ve only beaten the game once with countless failures. Took me decades to solve the issue and even now I’m not confident. At 65 years of age however I’m convinced success is looming and I’ll get there by the time I’m 70. After at least 10 characters reaching Hell at level 70-73 in D2R and failing in Act 1 this is what I’ve learned: I also realize that this is basic information to most but perhaps there is someone as bad as me out there, I doubt it but here goes. What I failed to do was prioritize finding and keeping items that boost resistances. I was only concerned about leveling, so my latest character, Hammerdin (I know, easy mode but not for me) is now in Act 2 Hell and doing okay. This is due, I believe to my Resistances which are almost all at 75% except fire (59%). I’ve been here 5 times with a Hammerdin only to fail and delete but it was resistance issues. Now I juggle between P1 and P3 in Hell and of course I still need to ge careful. So if you’re anything like me, a weak player but totally determined and passionate about the game it’s possible. As for gear , I’ve never even seen a Shako, War Travellers Boots, Arachnid Mesh etc, all the dream items so it’s possible to progress without these incredible i things. In fact, it’s likely why I continue, hoping to find one of them. I do have a Spirit sword and shield but it’s the resistance boost items that keep me alive.
Just sharing. I’ll see you all in Hell.

1 Like

Hi Peter. My deep understanding of this game started when D2R was released. So if I’m not clear on something. Others guys on this forum can jump in.

I follow a youtuber call Ginger Gaming Mentor. Just want to give him credit for all his wonderful videos.

There are 2 types of build. 1 that is weapon base and the other skill base. Hammerdin is skill base. As long as you have +skill on your gear. You gain more power. To make your Hammerdin tankier. I suggest getting max block 75%. Finding a good shield with good resistance (top end 45) and using holy shield would help a lot.

The items you listed will drop with Hell bosses. It’s not necessary to finish Hell with them. It just makes killing a bit faster.

It’s hard to give additional advice without knowing how you use your skill point investment and stats distribution. I remember when i was fairly new. I had to go back to nightmare to level up or find better gear to advance in Hell.

Hi, thank you and yes I follow him as well, learned a great deal from him. I hear you on max block and I’m investing all my points into Dex at the moment to get to that 75% mark with Holy Shield activated. Just hit Act 3. Thanks again.

Good tip here, also collecting socketed gear, I’d add :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Good to know you’re making progress.

As you level up. Max block will drop. You can add dex or wear equipment/items.

You can walk instead of run than use Charge to move around. Running disable your defense to 0. Resistance you can use Smoke with Ancients Pledge runeword.

Nice. I forgot about Smoke and running.
Also I realize that I don’t have to kill everything, I can’t and I just have to avoid or run. Thanks so much.

Let us know when you beat Baal. Hope something powerful drops for you.

Yo

Sup

Yes, and this is why hammerdin tends to be one of the easier classes to build.

One of the best advantages the Paladin has by far imo. They easily hit 75% chance to block and have the most amazing shields.

3 Likes

The man of the hour.

Didn’t expect you to visit console forums. I know you play on both.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Well I’m
Embarrassed to say that this was another failure. I got to level 79 and could not navigate Act 4. I spent about a million gold just resurrecting the Merc, we were both at 75% resistances across the board. So if I can’t beat the game with a Hammerdin I perhaps just can’t beat the game.
I play offline because I’m tired of getting my loot grabbed by greedy bastiges. (5 min ago, online I soloed Diablo with a lev 24 Plague Javazon and at the last second a level 17 popped into the scene via my TP and grabbed the unique that dropped. So I’ll start something fresh offline. I’ll get my act together and do it. I’ve got this, maybe.

I find low level players are more savage for loot. If you create a ladder or non ladder character. I’ll be more than happy to assist. Now the question is. Are you on the Nintendo switch?

You’re too kind but no I’m
On PS4. Actually that player rejoined my game 10 min later and dropped the unique so my faith is restored.
I’m torn between playing online non ladder and offline. I like being able to use P8 and leveling seems faster. Perhaps I’m
Missing out on something though. I’ve actually found folks to be extremely generous online and I’ve been given some pretty nice gear for free.
I think I’ll stick with my Javazon online for now. I could help with the tricky parts if I get to Hell with her. You’re very helpful and I appreciate it.
I’m going in.

I’m just a reflection of your attitude. How you see me is how I see you.

Agree not all are bad.

Offline P8 is great. But you lose out on trading and interaction on non ladder.

Good luck and have fun.

You’re the best. I’ll continue online.
Take care and again I appreciate your help. Motivating.

2 Likes

If I were to be so bold… I’d say that I’ve had better luck finding thing that I need offline on p8 then I ever have online in general. I’ve actually found more offline then I ever have. Runes, uniques… hell I’ve even found enough good gear and runes to make a smiterdin with exile , grief and coh and basically everything else he could need for running torches and anniculous charms. Grants offline you can only get annis by selling sojs but you know what, I’ve found 3 in uncommon farming areas.
Although trade is not an option for offline players I would have to say I’ve had better luck getting what I need offline.
You don’t even wanna know what my highrunes look like. Prolly make ya sick.

Not related at all but really disappointed in MaxRoll/Player community for lying about Hydra Sorceress… It’s in the top tier for “starter builds” but it is F***ING HORRIBLE. I am finished NM and only level 63 and I feel like I can barely kill anything for experience. This is a terrible spec and blizzard did a horrendous job “balancing” the hydras. They’re so weak compared to frozen orb/blizzard or even nova/lightning. This is an abysmal spec and I feel like it would almost be faster making a whole new sorceress than it would be to reach a high enough level to complete Hell Den of Evil for the respec.

Hi Peter, if you are still playing. I am 63 and have been playing on and off since the original Diablo came out and I only play hardcore. I am currently playing D4 and have a 100 level sorc hardcore. In D4 it has helped a lot to be in a clan and use a microphone to talk with others as we play. I also play on a PS4 and need to upgrade to PS5 which is much better and faster. Originally I played all on my computer for years. I find it less complicated on a console but if I get a new computer soon I may switch back.

I regress from time to time and I am playing D2r intermittently solo. It greatly helps to have a partner to help or just play alongside but I also like the solitude at times to play at my own speed. Luckily I have a younger brother (55) who plays.

In the original D game I played, I had a level 99 Amazon and level 93 Necro which back then was quite a grind. I also spend too much time majoring in the minors and keeping too much junky gear and or other things but to me, it makes the game fun in some ways but also slows my progress. Several of my characters end up being mules to carry excess gear and supplies. But remember there is more to life than just playing games!

I am heartened now that I am not the only senior playing D2R. My one concern is that my life expectancy may not be long enough to accomplish the things that I want to (seriously). I played D2 on its initial release and the major change I see now is that the Internet resources for information, hints, builds, etc is so much better. Back then I did not understand nor was aware of the concept of farming, so to my best recollection, it took me 8 years to get my first SOJ. I would typically beat Hell Baal, then create a new character. I did migrate to D3 upon its release, but upon the release of D4, I was shut out with my iMac, so I did eventually bite the bullet and got an XBOX. I am pretty close to an ultimate Hammerdin build, a Shako dropped on Hell Countess, a Mara’s on terrorized Hell Andy, an Arachnids on a Hell Mephisto, e.g. I need a Wedding band, 2 SOJs, one to wear, the other to get an Annilihus, and what will probably take a very long time, the runes to build an Enigma.

Im sorry what was i supposed to be learning?

Don’t buy fraud anti-consumer products from a anti-consumer fraud company like blizzard. Got ya.:+1: