More than one point in Amplify Damage?

I’ve been looking at a lot of guides for my build, the Summon Necromancer. Some suggest putting more than one point in the skill, others say to just let armor fill out the rest.
In practice, I’ve been testing out having more than one point, plus the added from my gear, and it’s nice being able to cover the entire screen in one or two casts.
Am I nerfing myself much by doing this?

Summoners have lots of extra points to basically do whatever they want with, so no, you’re not gimping yourself.

That said, it’s basically free to cast, and with a little FCR, it’s trivial to cover the entire screen even with only one hard point invested in it.

1 Like

Depending on if you get mages, you have lots of extra points. It comes down to what do you want to spend those points on. If you can get +5 to all skills then you will have a lvl 6 amp with a simple 1 pt investment. It’s really an oportunity cost to what else you could use those points for. Most opt to max CE over any curses as it will cover a much wider area and is mana expensive. Amp only costs 4 mana so spamming it doesn’t cost much in mana.

Some people chose to get a strong golem.

I have played with some who like to max dim vision (HC players) and keep amp at a small radius. This allows you shut everything in the screen off and only amp the monsters your group is fighting.

So basically every extra point you spend in Amp is making a smaller CE radius or a less beefy golem. My ‘medium’ build Summoner sports +8 to curses so 1 pt in Amp is getting a lvl 9 amp.

Youre doing it right. Never understood why any summon nec would invest only 1 or a couple of points in amp. I prefer to max it. Well maybe if you want to get more absorb with bone armor or like Rondal said, a stronger golem. Both things are not needed for regular MF runs imo.

Skekelemages are very meh, which leaves you a ton of spare points.

True, and dim vision has its uses in non-HC as well. Nothin’ like being that chad necro that saves everyone in the throne of destruction from an army of souls.

I have 1 point and I cover the entire screen. It might be okay early on when you have no gear. I personally don’t ever add more than one point.