Missing char in D2:LOD

Hi folks,

The issue is with Diablo 2, Lord of Destruction, acc is enderro, realm is Europe, non-ladder char (sorceress), which is missing entirely from my char selection window and it was not expired. When I noticed it was missing, my paladin had 21 days until expiration and I say this because I extend their expiration at the same time.
I do suspect it was somehow purged…
Please check and clarify why my char is missing from my char selection screen.

Thank you.

Hi,

A bit of a far shot… have you tried to create a new character and then delete it to force a refresh of the character list

Good luck !

Yes, tried it earlier, no luck, still my sorceress is missing

Years ago I noticed a few missing and that I had no scroll bar on the character selection screen anymore.

So, I used the arrow keys [DOWN] and they suddenly appeared after the screen scrolled down that way.

Thanks for the hint but still no luck, char is still missing…Can anyone check if the char has been purged and confirm if it was expired or not?
When I noticed char was missing, the remaining char had 21 days until expiration and it should have been the same for the sorceress…

There’s nobody in the forums that can. You might have a Saved Games folder on your system that contains all the names of your characters you’ve recently logged into.

You can check for that character’s name and the last date there.

On my system it’s:

C:\Users\Admin\Saved Games\Diablo 2\US West

1 Like

What do you mean, there is nobody here that can check? Had a ticket opened for this issue and was guided here, to open a bug, so that developers can check:
"
This is GM Wheantaine from Blizzard Entertainment support and I hope this message finds you well. We apologize for the inconvenience and the response that wasn’t to your expectations.

Regarding your issue, when a character is purged, it will be deleted from our end, and if it existed on the backup servers, only the developers can take a look at it and see if it was expired or deleted on time and then purged.

When you submit a report in the forums, it will be taken into consideration by the developers themselves, and if it was a defect of the system, which they would fix, and in case a reverse to the character purge is possible, then they would do it, and you will be updated with that. It is not possible to provide an exact or similar response at the moment, as that would require specific and detailed information that isn’t currently at your disposal.

Should you have further questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact us

Best regards
GM Wheantaine
Blizzard Entertainment
"

Is the above not accurate?

As for the files, I have one .map file, modified on 14.03.2024 and one .ma2 file, with the same timestamp. The timestamp on the paladin files is different and the ma2 file has 12.04.2024, the .map is on 01.07.2024.

Does it mean that my char was last login on 14.03? Can this be confirmed from a second source (another log file)?

There isn’t anyone from Blizzard in this forum who can help with a purged character. I’m not sure what the GM is talking about. That’s outside my ability to explain.

The legacy Diablo 2 servers will purge any characters not played after 90 days of last login.

Your timestamp indicates that your last login is from March 14th, 2024 for your missing character. That means it has been purged from the servers since 90 days would equal June 14, 2024.

I’m not aware of any other way to confirm it. I wish there were better news, but that’s how they designed this older system back in the day.

Indeed, that is truly sad!!! I’ve played D2 for years and had very good chars and kept them until they vanished…The purge was not implemented from the start, I remember that expired chars would stay as expired and visible and they were only lost if someone would use the same name for a new char.

I understand it is an old game but the fact that I don’t play it does not mean I don’t hold dear the chars and the items they have…

Being an iconic game, I would have expected a different approach…it felt like a little troll was just waiting for my char to expire so that it could send it into the void…and I played for nothing… :cry:

Anyway, thanks for your help and suggestions!

GL&HF