MF makes game less fun - Remove it from items

So let me get this right… Your gripe is that MF makes the game less fun, and your solution is to force mf on everyone, with no ability to take it off or dial it in for personal preference?
This would be the opposite of making the game more “fun”, Zax… maybe for you.

Right now everyone has the choice to play how they want. Your advocating to remove that choice and that is where I get off the bus here.

Not everyone is bored after 20 years nor is the game responsible to change just for your benefit.

Please read whole topic and not only title :slight_smile:

Its not the MF on itself. Its how it is distributed on items. Certain build hughly benefit from that while others suffer if they want to do some offective MF runs.

No, I am giving people more choice what items to use. You no longer need to use items like shako as meta item for MF, you can use Nightwings, interesting coronet, or many other different helms.

As i already replyied to someone, your MF based on character level could be turned off if you want to hunt socketed and while items.

I am not bored but I admit this opinion is based on many years of playing MF characters and the fact that i find MF runs boring. I am not bored by the game, I just hate the MF part of it.

When D2R started my decision what to play was based on what will be most effective character to MF so I can play other characters. And I think majority of people have it like this. It is the part of the game i dont like anymore. Its totaly possible that new players or people who did not play so many years doesnt see it like that but I do.

I play a lot of hardcore and my first character was blizzard sorc even when I dont like to play her. The reason why I played her anyway was because she can stack cheap trash MF items and abuse that fact to get good drops. Playing character i like to play would be simply a lot less effective and it would take me a lot longer time of griding to get items i want to have.

If I started playing char I like to play and put same mf items on me, I would easily die.

Diablo 3 does this honestly a lot better with MF on items if I think about it. The problem there is its based on difficulty and and you are just showered by items which is not good. Diablo 3 has more issues with loot, but certain elements of that does better than d2.

You have not made a convincing argument of this at all and I think you’re wrong.

Can I ask how long do you play the game?

I’m playing this game since it released (OG D2 I mean, not D2R) and I’m not convinced at all.

So you think having passive MF bonus based on level would be worse why?

As I hate playing sorc, I’m all for changes that help the other classes MF.

D2 is kinda built around the idea that you trade power for MF. Sorc, trapper etc can get away with not needing power to MF, while my zealot and other melee classes are out of luck on that aspect.

I don’t think this works for D2, but I do like the idea and I’d love to see an update on your run.

1 Like

Because MF must be a compromise. You compromise your raw power for more MF.

1 Like

Except this rule is mostly aplied to melee characters and not casters. Not fair at all.

Because fighting classes draw their power and survivability mostly from items while caster classes stay out of touch with monsters and draw their power mostly from skills.

So casters can stack up huge amounts of MF without losing power while mlee characters doing that would be seriously crippled with killing power.

Then we can both agree that this is a balance problem, not a MF problem.

Why try to fix the wrong problem then?

1 Like

Its not fixing wrong problem. My suggestion is one of possibilities how to fix MF inbalance between classes.

Its quite easy solution to execute actualy without changing game systems and messing with character skill balance.

I was kind of disappointed with the druid and assassin classes when the LoD expansion launched.

I just think we deserve better memes.

If the most asinine suggestion you can come up with is “remove x,” maybe give it some more thought before devoting so much ink to it. There must be a dozen threads on the front page making small variations of the same joke.

Anyway, enjoy the replies.

I disagree because there should be tradeoffs with gear choices. Want better MF then you will have to give up some power in order to get it. With no downsides then everything is easy mode.

I think you just might be burnt out playing D2 and D2R. Take a break for a while then come back recharged and things will be better.

Plus you don’t need the best gear in the game to beat hell difficulty.

as I already explained, there is only small downside to wear MF gear for casters, there is very often huge downside for melee characters. It unfair.

It is still a trade off regardless of who is effected the most. That is the point of having stats on gear. Heck you could say the same about resist all as well. Then everything that all classes would always need would be inherit. Opening up for more power which is not what a game should be doing.

I disagree… then again, I don’t remember every nook and cranny of the game… and I rather like having magic find, but to each their own… but pls don’t push this to it being made a collective issue…

Sounds like quite a drastic change if you ask me and I don’t like it, that’s just my opinion tho.

I think the primary Idea of shifting the Focus of Magic Find from Items to something else, like a Character Based Charm or an Option, is a really nice Idea.

For Example: Each Character has 4 Magic find Charms or Option Settings.

• Option 1: 0% Magic Find. (No Penalties.)
  • Option 2: 25% Magic Find of your maximum Magic Find based on Character Level. (12,5% Penalty on Damage, Defense and all Resistances.)
  • Option 3: 50% Magic Find of your maximum Magic Find based on Character Level. (25% Penalty on Damage, Defense and all Resistances.)
  • Option 4: 100% Magic Find of your maximum Magic Find based on Character Level. (37,5% Penalty on Damage, Defense and all Resistances.)

No final values, just some values for the Example.

Now you take the Charm of your Choice in your Inventory or activate the Option of your Choice and start playing with all the Benefits and Disadvantages. Naturaly you can only have one Charm with you at the time and they can’t be droped or sold. This System could kinda be exploited by channging the Charm/Option before the Bosskill but would still mean lower Magic Find in the meantime and more work for the Player to do the change every time.

You could still have Items in the Game with Magic Find but with lower Values, if you want. (Or remove the Magic Find from Items in total and replace them with other things.)

Another Option would be to leave Magic Find as it is but certain Classes only get half the amount of Magic Find.

For Example:

• For Caster Classes Magic Find only counts 50% from their total Magic Find they have.
  • For Melee Classes Magic Find counts the total 100% Magic Find they have.

Bad Idea ? Yes, absolutely but would help balancing out the difference in Magic Find between Melee and Caster Classes. Still there would be the problem of defining what build is a Caster or Melee Class. (Druids have for Example Melee and Caster builds.)

Even the Sorceress with Teleport would probably not be the Number 1 choice for Magic Find anymore. (I will get much hate for this.)

A rework of the Melee Classes would not change anything as they still have had to sacrifice way more power and survivability to wear Magic Find Items than Caster Classes.

Giving Caster Classes a disadvantage with Magic Find will upset many Players. Just curious that a change proposition in favor - not really as all Classes would get the same Magic Find - of Melee Classes gets stomped to the ground, although these Melee Classes have to live with this disadvantages since the Big Bang.

Personaly i would really enjoy the Option to skip Sorceress for example at the beginning of a Season for a Class i like and want to play, without sacrificing my Ability to Magic Find much. Some change like this could help in that regard.

1 Like

While I 100% agree the MF on items isn’t fun at all this is diablo 2 and MF is a core mechanic of the game.

This is another thing Diablo 3 does better.