Meteor/FO vs Hydra/FO @ level 75 in Hell question

The following d2planner link has 2 builds: Hydra/FO and Meteor/FO at char level 75.
https://d2.maxroll.gg/d2planner/iv01064t

The Sorc and Merc are both naked. The Meteor/FO build was constructed from the pre-D2R Meteorb guide in the unofficial D2 forum. The Hydra/FO build is a copy of the Meteor/FO build with the following modifications:

• move 20 points from Meteor to Hydra
  • move a point from Fireball to Enchant
  • move a point from Fireball to Frozen Armor

In the d2 planner Hydra fire damage at 443-515 at a mana cost 29.5 per cast (mana heavy). With 6 hydras up I believe the total damage per hydra spit cycle by the group would be 2658-3090 (assuming the all spit at the same target in unison). The Meteor Fire damage is listed as 2856-3047 (impact damage), 678-739 (burn damage) with a mana cost of 26.5 per cast.

So my question is given the damage values would this put both builds close in damage output? I realize that if a Meteor hits multiple targets they all take impact damage and the damage can crit. Iā€™m not sure if the hydra fire bolts can crit.

I know that both builds are slow in comparison to single element builds like a Blizzard Sorc or a well equipped lightning Sorc. I intentionally created both builds with naked Sorcs/Mercs to remove the influence of gear.

1 Like

hydras are trash damage and slow and miss
meteor is impossible to aim, mobs change direction too much

go fireball or firewall or lightning or nova + frozorb/blizzard

if this is just hell mephisto only, go ES blizzard until you get infinity