Maybe offer future character transfer from offline to online?

A lot of people are like me, play mostly solo, but want the option to play with others to be available.
Since it’s obvious we can’t even play online currently, could Blizzard not offer us the opportunity to just play offline and then in the future when Blizzard figures out how to keep the game live for more than an hour at a time, we move characters back to online?

Yes, this opens the door to exploiters and cheaters, but when the game file is transferred it would be pretty easy to do a sanity check / authentication of the save file.

I just want to play, and currently still leveling / gearing, and I do that mostly solo anyway. I just don’t want to put a lot of time into an offline character knowing I can never play multiplayer, problem is though, online is just not an option.
Play an hour, lose your progress and sit for an hour, rinse/repeat is just not entertaining for anyone.

4 Likes

While I can understand the frustration, there’s no way we’d be able to do that without opening up the economy to massive exploitation. There’s no way to check the save file for that kind of data or tell the difference between someone who happened to have 100 perfect stones of jordan legitimately versus those that hacked them in. (hyperbolic example, but I hope it illustrates the point.) The save file is a simple text file and even if it contained data that tracked that sort of thing it could be manually edited to remove it.

In the mean time we’re definitely working on the server issues. Appreciate you looking out for options to alleviate the frustration anyway.

If you’ve got other feedback you can submit it in #general-discussion since the devs are looking that over, but knowing how the saves work this one simply can’t be implemented.

4 Likes

Thank you for the reply, always appreciated :wink:
Could Blizz not do a cloudsave-like mirroring of the save file? That would make any changes made to the offline save file apparent when it compares to the one on the server?
Again, hehe, just want a way to play while the servers are down, without losing the opportunity to play multiplayer :slight_smile:

In that situation you’d basically end up with the same issue folks are having today. If the server has to have access to your save for an offline-online character, if the server is down then the cloud can’t update that save file either, and then your “offline” character would be locked out. Having an online component to offline characters effectively makes the offline characters online characters.

We absolutely understand that the server issues preventing you from hopping on and playing multiplayer is annoying and each time one of these incidents happen we have a team that investigates the root cause of the issue and tries to future proof things. As we find more situations that cause this sort of issue, we’ll fix them and over time the servers should become more stable and HOPEFULLY make it so this sort of redundancy wouldn’t even be needed anymore.

In the mean time, appreciate your patience while we work on the known outstanding issues the game has.

1 Like

Alright :wink:
Thank you again for the response. Just seems to me there has to be a better way to protect the game economy and anti-cheat hehe. I’ll go back to patiently waiting and hoping I get to play a little on this day before I have to work.

wtf as to our other option demand a refund for your non working horrible experience so far, 60.00 for this … fix it or pull your game and give refunds Drakuloth

Hey,

• what is the expected downtime?
  • how and where will you notify public that servers are up and running again? (So that I don’t have to click “online” every few minutes in-game)

Thanks!

1 Like

We’re tracking this at the thread below and I’ll update it once everything is resolved and/or if I hear anything else back. Right now it’s just under investigation. We also do updates at the @BlizzardCS twitter if you prefer.

2 Likes

Thanks again for providing what information you know Drakuloth :slight_smile:
May I suggest a sticky at the top of the tech support page?
The launcher banner is always extremely vague, and the twitter…I’ll just be honest here, I hate Twitter, Jack Dorsey and everything related to them (and the Twitter account is also very vague and almost always late with the information).
I think most of us are more upset at the lack of information (AND WHERE TO GO TO GET INFORMATION), than the actual outages (which don’t get me wrong, are irritating :slight_smile: ).

If there was a clear location for this game to get information on the servers/issues, that would be most advantageous to those of us trying to fit a little play in around our real lives :wink:

If only there was an industry standard process for testing and hardening prior to collecting peoples money…maybe there should be something, heck, lets name it beta.

Has your team thought about reimplementing the TCP/IP connection option with D2R?

This would primarily be only available to the PC community as in Legacy D2, although the consoles could support the peer to peer connection via their associated Networks (i.e. Nintendo Online, XBox Live, and the Playstation Network).

I know support for it was officially dropped over the past Summer, citing security concerns. Hacking into another customer’s home network or PC?

Just curious, if this idea was floated about. That would allow customers to go into Offline play, when the official servers are down, and then play with friends without heading to the forums to vent their frustrations in such frequency.

yup we are paying beta testers…confirmed

Because you can use characters like this in offline mode. With a shared stash even if a character was legit, there is not telling if they used one of these to farm all the gear/gold …

19,307% magic find…etc…etc…

https://i.imgur.com/miBlljE.jpg

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.