Low FPS and stuttering on high end specs

When I load into the game I start with ~40 fps. After a while the fps increases somewhat but will occasionally drop.
In certain areas the fps drops and holds steady between 20 and 30.
I’m also encountering stuttering that sometimes makes the game unplayable.

Specs:
GPU: RTX 3080
CPU: i9-9900KF
RAM: 32GB
GPU Driver: 512.59

Turning all graphics settings to their minimum brings to average fps to ~70 but does not fix the stuttering.
DLSS somewhat increases the fps but not by a lot.
I’m playing the game at 3440x1440 (native) on Fullscreen with 100% scaling.

Another thing to mention is that CPU usage is between 5 and 10%. GPU usage stays at 99%.
GPU temps hover around 65C with fan speed % matching the temp (65% at 65C). CPU temps are even lower.
I’ve tried closing every single other running program. That helped bring the fps to ~70 (with all graphics settings maxed) but that isn’t a real scenario since I’m not willing to close everything else just to have an enjoyable experience.
I’ve also tried setting the process priority to High through the Task Manager. That did nothing to the fps or stuttering.
I’m not using either RivaTuner or MSI Afterburner. I’ve tried with and without an AV solution installed and it made no difference to the FPS.
The game’s RAM usage hovers around 4.x GB so RAM is not the issue.

With my hardware I should be able to easily play this game at max settings without DLSS at well over 60 FPS, something is definitely wrong with the performance on the game’s side.

10 Likes

Same issue here with a similar setup, game randomly has low fps.

resolution 4k
i9-12900k
3070 ti

Sometimes in Act 1 town I’m running at 60 fps, then I load a game and it’s running at 20-30 fps. Big FPS dips while teleporting … even with legacy graphics.

D2R is the only game where I’m experiencing fps drop and probably one with the lowest pc requirements.

Also most of the graphic settings do not work until you reboot the application.

1 Like

Same issue here too, Win10 64, CPU AMD Ryzen 7, Ram 16G, RTX 3060 (12) Sytem is up to date. FPS starting to drop after ca. 2 hours of Play from around 170+ FPS down to 90, 60 etc.
I never had any issue before this new Patch. Is no fun playing like this.
Edit: Can it be the problem is the ladderboard?

1 Like

Since update I’ve had a massive performance drop too, generally after playing the game for a couple minutes. 3060ti and 6700k, 32 gb ram, prior to patch I had no issues. Even with DLSS on I get really nasty drops. I playing 4k btw and prior to patch my frames were always 80-140

2 Likes

Microstuttering every 6seconds for 0.3secs.
Since Beta.
Overall performance is way better now but those stuttering or lil freezes are pain in the a**
Sometimes smooth for hours, then a wrong tp and even if i restart game, i can wait for the microstuttering in the “main menu”. so most of the time im watching flames and hitting alt+f4.
and thats so much fun when ur with friends and doin some hc sh*t together and your only chance is restarting pc once per hour or sth.

3 Likes

Having the same issue. PC isn’t as high spec’d, but its not really running as hard as other games I play and lowering settings don’t resolve the issue either.

CPU: i7 6700K
GPU: GTX1070 (8GB)
RAM: 32GB
OS Build: 19044.1706
GPU driver: 471.41 (old, I know)
RES: 1920x1080 (Fullscreen)

VRAM usage shows about half of the 8GB. Stuttering just seems so sporadic and nothing noticeable seems to trigger it. I will go ahead and update my GPU driver to 512.77 and see how that works out, but don’t expect it to resolve the issue–Though hoping it does.

1 Like

Same problem here. Game goes from stable 60fps (VSYNC) to 14fps stutter.
Ryzen 5 5600x
Asus TUF RTX 3070Ti - on latest drivers
Windows 11 - freshly installed
3440x1440p Native resolution.
Lowering settings doesnt help. I had checked all of background programs.
GPU never goes anywhere near 100% usage.
Had similar problems right after launch, and now they are back…

2 Likes

Updated to latest GPU drivers, still stuttering.

I just came back after a 3-4 week hiatus and started playing only my Druid. I use Oak Sage and Poison Creeper as my summons. I have noticed that once the vines from the Poison Creeper get out of view, the stuttering goes away. I can walk back into the area with vines and I will usually get stuttering again. My thought on it not always stuttering is because some vines have already despawned.

Any chance anyone else running druid with Poison Creeper? I might pop over to Necro to see if I see stuttering with an army of skeles, as I feel like that plus a big mob of enemies would be a good way to induce it. Maybe I’ll pop into windowed mode and see if that helps at all. Its a bummer because those stutters make the game look and feel worse than OG D2.

1 Like

Same problem

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
ASUS EVO TURBO 2070 super
64 Gb ram
WIN 10
2560 x 1440

unstable FPS after 2.4 patch, huge drops

2 Likes

Same problem here, same problem everywhere.

This game was a cash grab, servers and support shine light on that.

3 Likes

same here…

3090 RTX
32Gb Ram…

1 Like

Yeah its ridiculous at this point and Cleary an issue on blizzards end. It seemed to semi improve upon last 2 patches but essentially when I tp to other zones it will become triggered and cycle back n forth between good and trash performance. Just wanted to say Ive tested a multitude of other titles and this is only occurring with d2R since or around 2.4. Also I want to say that prior to the patch the performance was rock solid running max 4k with DLSS quality on a 3060ti.

3 Likes

Same issue here rtx 2060, how the hell can we resolve this problem?

1 Like

Having the same issues. Posting for visibility. Really hope Blizzard addresses this. Hell, even acknowledges it at this point.

1 Like

Same issues here, it’s been happening since 2.4.

1 Like

Seems to definitely be an issue with gtx/rtx cards would be nice if this could at least be addressed by a moderator…

1 Like

Same here also getting crashed when i save and exit, end up having to close the whole game

1 Like

Any update on this?

Im running RTX 3080 Laptop GPU.

Game runs fine then drops to 40ish FPS. returns back to 120 FPS after 5 or 10 mins.

1 Like

Disgusting this hasn’t been addressed.

2 Likes

has anyone tried turning off Nvidia Overlay?

trying tonight ill see if that works

1 Like