Lightning vs Chain Lightning?

What’s your stance on both of those skills and what do you prefer? Lightning has more damage on paper but Chain Lightning has a larger AOE. I’m respeccing soon and can’t decide which one I want.

dont do it!

i went full lightning and i regret it… i know it’s boring and you die alot and it’s stressful…

but keep to your blizzard spec if you can and just do hell meph… i know it sux but… it’s better than being where im at…

full lightning spec does practically zero damage to anything in act 4 and 5 and cows. i haven’t tested anywhere else… but it’s bad.

1 Like

Well right now I’m lvl 27 in normal lmao so blizzard ain’t possible… besides i’m a frozen orb elitist =D should have put more context into my post but right now i have like 6 and 8 points in lightning and chain lightning and need to respec to only use one.

i’d say go blizzard.

i never thought i’d say that b/c i like orb alot more…

but at this gear point…blizzard opens up alot more possibilities… and does the important stuff alot better than orb can… i know… it’s blasphemy… but it’s what ive experienced. (this coming from a guy who prefers orb)

I guess pure lightning sorc is only viable after you have griffon’s eye and infinity runeword, else forget it

3 Likes

Pretty much. Once you get Infinity though Light sorce is a beast. You can easily handle all MF runs, Chaos runs, and Baal runs if you wanted.

Can you plz explain why? I have another post up where Im genuinely asking why some ppl prefer Blizzard over Orb. I just switched from Blizz to Orb (Act 2 NM atm) and its all very very smooth now. Blizz had me pulling my hair out. It feels glitchy and very clunky to use.

Trying to stop cows with lightning, will be about as successfull as trying to stop them with fireballs.

Use the 21 point wonder that is Blizzard, and then spec into chainlightning+mastery. The rest points between cold mastery and lightning, whichever you prefer.

As Blizzard is timered, you can shoot 2 or 3 chainlightnings between the blizzards, which will do alot of damage, and you are 2 elemental so with your merc can deal with everything.

Blizzard and lightning/chain both need lots of skillpoints to be really successful. It is not a good idea to pair them together in the same char, spec one or the other.

1 Like

Right now only Chaos and Baal elude me. My gear is trash and I can do Pindle, Nihlathak, Meph, Countess and 3p Cows on hell. The only mob I can’t kill is a Cow King that gets Phys + Lit Immune.

Don’t have a soj. Don’t have an infinity. Don’t have a griffins. Not even over 10 +skill. My merc has a decent Insight, Duriels and Tal’s helm.

Hell my resists aren’t even all above 0 in hell yet.

CL for clearing packs, Lightning for single mobs (does more). Synergies aren’t even all maxed either.

Maybe that’s true but I very much hate the idea of being a one trick pony and having to run away from the “x” immunes instead of being able to kill them… Being a pure cold sorc running into cold immunes (which is the most abundant) isn’t how I like to play the game. If I have to do less damage on paper but able to kill everything in my path then that’s what I’ll do.

Technically speaking lightning is better than chain lightning because lightning is almost double of CL’s damage and it can penatrate multiple target in a straight line.

One thing to note that is lightning can also damage nearby target if both mobs are very close to each other.

That being said in order to maximize lightning’s damage output you are required to do some tricks and try to have mobs chasing you in a almost striaght line, which require some skills.

Chain lightning on paper maybe able to hit multiple target, however. When you face q group of mob it isn’t as effective due to the fact that in order for the chain to be trigger. Mob actually cannot be too close to each other. And when you have couple of them grouping together and having your merc to tank them, the distance are usually not far enough for the trigger to be activated.

2 Likes