Level 30 WW Barbarian weapons until Grief?

So I have recently made a barb and he’s in A5 approaching Baal territory. I haven’t really followed a guide, since I was an avid D2 player for years. I currently have Malice and Steel runewords, dual wield, and can still 1-2 hit mobs (aside from elites) with ease with only level 1 double swing. Yes, I know I could just spec and respec at 30, but I am already 26, and I am not struggling.

My question is, I have found some barb leveling guides but they say “spirit” or dual “spirit” is the weapon of choice, but due to the low durability and lack of enhanced damage, is this actually good for a WW barbarian? It is for a warcry barb, I guess that is the preferred spec for the guide until late game, but I have searched for the “next step” as far as weapons go for my barb as he approaches nightmare. Aside from finding an upgrade, be it rare or unique, is there any runewords I should be looking to craft? Is spirit actually going to benefit me to use because of the +skills and life leech? I am in the same boat with my zealadin, or will be, So I am curious from a melee standpoint on what weapons will benefit my barb…and of course my paladin later on, who I know shouldn’t be mentioned in the barb forum. I know also of the Rhyme runeword for shields, since I know resistance will become an issue in NM, is it viable/better to plan of a 1h/shield WW build?

I know there are easier paths and easier ways to level and respec, but I enjoy the journey and it’s all nostalgic for me, so I am hardset on doing it the way I want, to get my struggle and enjoyment out of the game.

I know “Grief” is the end goal, but from now until then, I am lost.

Any advice from you more knowledgeable players would be nice.

Thanks in advance

-Vex

No, don’t use Spirit for melee, nor a shield for whirlwind. I assume you’ve maxed a weapon mastery, if not do so asap. That’s where most of your damage will come from in mid game. I suggest simply upgrading Steel and Malice until you can make Strength. Work with these until good uniques drop or you get the runes for King Slayer, Oath, Crescent Moon and Lawbringer. Get Insight on a normal act 2 Offensive merc and switch it out for a nightmare act 2 Offensive merc. This merc set up will increase you damage and mana regeneration while whirwinding. When you get to 30 start ww but leave it a 1 point and start maxing BO. 1 point on ww is more than enough damage for nightmare. This isn’t the norm, but I’m a big Battle Cry fan and max it out asap. As long as you have good damage and life leech, you shouldn’t have to worry too much about defence. I only ever put 1 point on Shout, Iron Skin and Nat Resistances.

1 Like

Thanks so much for your response, huge help and good insight on everything. I do want to ask, what do you mean “upgrade” steel and malice? I can always google this, and I will. I did not know you could upgrade (cube I assume?) rune words. Or do you mean find better weapons and keep making said runewords?

And NM offensive, you mean the Might aura merc?

TIA

-Vex

----edit----

I have plenty of runes to make strength, would you suggest making two strengths in a crystal sword/equivalent base? (I am sword mastery, since I read phaseblade Grief is the winner), But I can respec/farm on another character for a better base for strength for now, and change to mace or axe? I know IAS maters to WW I think, which steel has, so I could strength and steel? MH/OH?

Yes, upgrade by remaking the rune words into better swords. You can make double Strength, which will give excellent CB and life leech, but you’ll have slower attack speed. I like the the Steel and Strength combo because of Steel’s OW and IAS.

Sword is the best in D2:R due to the IAS change, making 2 x Grief in PB BiS. I’d stick with swords using Steel and Strength and work toward Voice of Reason and Lawbringer in PBs, which you’ll find in act 1 of Hell. From there work toward rw Death and Oath in eth elite class swords, and from there just keep farming until you get your Lo runes.

3 Likes

Bloodletters are always cool - they can be upped also if you have the runes and no better option. Check out the minimum requirements.

Honor/Unbending will.

My WW barb that will be a Trav horker is using Headstriker and Hexfire atm (lvl 46) waiting on the lvl 54 req for Oath. I’m NL so Unbending Will is sadly not an option.

The Max Dmg, DS and even PMH from Headstriker are really nice, and Hexfire + dmg, decent ED and ITD are handy as well.

The Oath I have is a mid roll (272 iirc) in eBB so I will likely play around with using it 2H or adding a shield or off hand weapon depending on how things go as he progresses.