Is There Any Point In Turning Off Lord Of Destruction Expansion?

Other than less classes and missing one new Act, I don’t see a major difference. Am I missing something?

I don’t see any point either, LoD really ties the room together

1 Like

I think it also gets rid of inventory charms.

No Runewords

some classic players prefer this since runewords remove the need for the majority of the games unique items.

You will be missing out on runes, more than half of the games unique items and sets, charms, Act 5 content, two character classes, at the very least. D2 is beloved because of the expansion. Why anyone would not want to play the expansion is beyond me.

I guess for people who don’t like charms, runewords, etc. There were big communities for both classic D2 and D2 LoD back in the day. I personally am going to make characters on both.

At the very least this maintains the full functionality of D2 Legacy. I imagine some still play it that way.

If it still works the same way, you can get to hell act 4 much easier then convert to expansion.

You’ll be missing out on a few things!

IIRC Arreat requires a minimum level to finish it. So the only reason is to be able to get lvl 1 chars to hell difficulty (for runedrops from quests after converting them).
At least that’s what it was good for in the original.

what do you mean is there a difference? there is a huge difference! if you are a cry baby that thinks runewords are overpowered, you don’t have enough stash space, game is “too easy”, mercs are cheating or hammerdins are too OP then non-expansion D2 is waiting for you.

it is a different challenge to D2. Can’t say if it is harder, just different. You’re going to have to heavily rely on rare items (yellows) to build out your characters. To me that is pretty fun, makes characters more unique & individual.

Please do not bump troll threads and posts made by Stanner, Sekscalibure, vicVinegar, MEZKd2r, NOOBLMAO, Sareyene, Mifesto, MrEos, NeoRizer, RandyBoggs. Thank you from the D2R community.

LoD made significant changes to pretty much every aspect of the game. Some people spent years playing vanilla and may want to experience that again. It’s the same reason why some people want to play WoW Vanilla and don’t care about Burning Crusade or WotLK

There are no elite uniques either. Classic was a rare (yellow) item fest and that’s it.

If you’re referring strictly to D2R, then avoiding LoD means that, in addition to what everyone else has mentioned, you won’t have the multi-tabbed shared stash.
Just the plain ol’ one -tab personal stash.

Ya, items like spectral shard blade, goldskin and silks of the victor are useful since there are also no exceptional or elite uniques. Barbarians with whirlwind and rare lances are pretty good in classic iirc.

D2 classic has it’s own appeal. It’s more simple and utilizes different gear and different mechanics. It’s nice for a change of pace to have to look for rares and not worry about charms / runes ./ etc. It’s not better or worse - just different and worth giving it a go imo. I mostly played LoD but I also had fun making a classic character in between.