Is accounting sharing legal?

Curious, if I live in California and my brother lives in Florida and he wants to baal for me during hours when I am at work, is that legal? Or does the TOS ban account sharing? I didn’t see it in there, but maybe I missed it.

Account Access Limitations

"Only you are allowed to access an account registered in your name. We don’t recognize the transfer of accounts between individuals. Activities performed on your account are your liability.

You may not share your account or password with anyone, except if you are a parent or guardian, in which case you may permit one minor child to use your account. You may not use your account at the same time, and you are liable for activities conducted by the minor child.

You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality and the use of your user name and password. You are responsible for all uses of your information, even if you don’t authorize them. Security of your account is your responsibility."

So if my son is on vacation and staying with my brother he can play on my account. How would they even be proved?

Keep in mind… they don’t need to “prove” anything. They can ban your account for any reason, or no reason at all.

They have their ways. They are very very sneaky.

I sincerely doubt you would ever get banned for sharing your account. My 12 year old son and I share a 2nd blizz account, I use it when he isn’t on. Such a clause was probably put into place by blizzard to protect them from situations where someone else decided to cheat while playing on your account.

Makes sense. But I guess my dream of my brother helping me hit 99 is dead.

There have been ban waves for account sharing in World of Warcraft.

Moral of the story is, if you don’t want to risk your account being actioned, then abide by the End User License Agreement.

Huh just do it, you’re not going to be banned… hundreds and hundreds of players are paying other people to level up their characters every day since classic d2 came out, no one has ever been banned strictly for that. Now if they choose to run a bot or MH while playing on your account now that is different…

I agree that blizz has cracked down on accout sharing in WoW but they have never applied the same rules to classic d2 even if it is stated in the rules…

Everything is impossible until it happens for the first time.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah account sharing is small fries compared to the botting/cheating/spam issues.

1 Like

ToS = we can ban your account for any reason at any time.

If you want to get technical, they “could” see that the IP that is registered with your Bro’s PC is in a different state/country then your own IP, and they could “decide” that it means your allowing someone else to play on your account, and thus in violation of the ToS.

But it could also be that you vacation, or do business in that area, and it’s a “second home” for you. They can’t know the details, only that our account is accessed by IP’s in 2 different regions.

If you log into your account with a different source IP, you get that juicy little, “we don’t recognize this IP, please enter a code from your email”. This is security for you, but it also means that whoever has access to your code will be able to run the game on their PC, and the only thing blizz knows is that you authorized a PC in a different region to play games on.

Will they ban? The ToS allows them to. But it is priority for them? probably not high. I’m not going to advise you to do something that will violate the ToS, but I also think there are allot of variables in this kind of situation that will prevent them from always auto banning if the case comes up.

There is obviously risk, but then again if I play D2R on my laptop when I’m doing business in Czech, or Italy, or France, then I run the same risk, even though I am not in violation of the ToS. My safety is that I have access to my email and thus can trade correspondence with Blizz if the issue ever arises, which it hasn’t to date.

If someone can play your account, then you can say, “it wasn’t me using that cheat, it was someone else”.

If they detect software tampering/addons, they can ban you.

If you say someone else played your account and installed the cheat, they can double ban you.

Meaning, it’s not a “get out of jail free card” anymore. The days of plausible deniability concerning software tampering are long since past. That’s just part of the ToS.

As for just “sharing” your account, even massive software companies realize that there’s no way to sell a license for every person in a household that would/could play the game. It’s not realistic.

The only time I’ve seen people really get in trouble for account sharing is grinding PvP/honor systems in WoW in a competitive setting, where if revealed could merit an account penalty.