Improve Weapon Base Durability

I hope the developers consider improving weapon base durability as a crucial step towards improving melee characters in the game while also closing the gap between melee vs. elemental builds. Plus, it’d be nice to reduce the amount of trips to the blacksmith for repairs as many weapons in the game break too quickly. As a starting point, they should consider a boost to base weapon durability across the board as follows:

• Normal: 25% increased durability
  • Exceptional: 50% increased durability
  • Elite: 100% increased durability

A few examples are shown below for comparing current base weapon durability to improved. As you can see, this is a fairly modest change…

Daggers Current Improved
Dagger (normal) 16 20
Poignard (exceptional) 16 24
Bone Knife (elite) 26 52
Short Swords Current Improved
Short Sword (normal) 24 30
Gladius (exceptional) 24 36
Falcata (elite) 24 48
Axes Current Improved
War Axe (normal) 26 32
Naga (exceptional) 26 39
Berserker Axe (elite) 26 52
5 Likes

I’m not against it. But it’s also not necessary like at all. Most weapon durabilities make absolute/total sense. Spears are not some super durable weapons. Axes will dull quickly with repeated use. And etc. Please keep some semblance of reason/realism in D2.

2 Likes

I respectfully disagree. Durability on weapons, especially elite weapons could be improved. Short swords, axes, and military picks have notoriously low durability between 24-26, which doesn’t make sense and utter garbage for fast attacking characters like Frenzy, Zeal, etc. Increasing baseline durability by 50% shouldn’t be an issue and helps out melee.

That’s okay. We can agree to disagree. Like I said, I’m not against it. I just don’t want to see durability to not matter at all ever. Or if we’re gonna do that, then at least make arrows and bolts infinite while we’re at it. Hell, even let them spawn as magic or rare or make some unique quivers and bolts. There’s just so much more pressing stuff they can/should focus on before getting all the way down to re-assessing durability numbers.

Tbh

I rather have an expensive recipe to make any item with durability indestructible

This would give me one more farming layer, ethereals and buff melee

They should also make casting spells use durability on equipped weapon and shield.

1 Like

Or just remove durability like the devs did with bows but allow everything to be ethreal!

I like the concept of durability in the game, and just want it improved for weapons, not eliminated altogether.

E L I M I N A T E it!

Why? Item durability is a good mechanic, just need to tweak some numbers for a few weapon groups.

I still wont use anything but a pb

I would like an expensive recipe to make anything with durability indestructible

Making a better use of zod maybe

Edit: just saw i already said this in this thread :sweat_smile:

1 Like

The developers could always expand the Self-Repair suffix found on magic and rare items (repairs 1 durability every 33 sec) to Jewels.

Self-Repairing Jewels could open up possibilities for Ethereal weapons and negates the limited use of being irreparable (provided it has open socket). Zod is just too elusive to be used in this manner and saved for runewords in all practical matters.

…imagine if only they make a new series of act 4 quests,quest 4-5-6, where one gives you the opportunity to make one item ethereal, once per difficulty, but with a 50% chance of destroying the item instead;

You get to try again with a new item until it succeeds once, then the quest is completed.

this woulnt help the melee that uses a RW as weapon and good rare weapons are even more elusive than a zod

same above
sure non RW weapons need a buff to be competitive

i feel that zod, as the rarest rune, could have its usability improved along with its price in the market

I just wanted to bring this back to the top as it’s still something we need. Whether we increase durability, or decrease the chance to use durability, something would be great. Some way to make things indestructible would also be great.

As it is, I only use phase blades in PvM because I was sick of repairing my axes after every short run. It runs out so quickly that it’s painful.

Honestly, I think just double it across the board, or change the durability loss formula.

You know you can just slap a ort rune with it, and im pretty sure its a cube recipe to repair? So every ort you find just repair :smiley:

If you add a chipped gem, it will repair and max the charges back too

It’s not even about the gold cost; it’s about the time and stuff around. I also don’t find an ort rune anywhere near as often as I need to repair. With Berserker Axes, I need to repair every run or two. It’s almost comical.