I was just thinking about this game

Its been a few years since I last booted it up but I was just thinking about something that made me chuckle as I got remembering my time with this game that I thought I’d pop my head in here to mention.

I realized if I take all my time that I’ve spent on online games in the last 5 years alone and added it up, this game would make up around 5-10% of the total time I’ve spent playing an online game, but makes up probably about 90%+ of the times I got disconnected from a game.

I had a lot of fun with this game… And I can’t comment on the last couple years, but looking back on this game now I can definitely say good god were the servers for this game atrocious.

They’re doing aight right now since there’s basically no hype for it anymore and it’s just the regular long term players (and bots) playing.

1 Like

That’s a shame but not surprising. It’s hard for a game like this to remain popular for too long these days, especially with newer games in the franchise. The original D2 was still amazing back in the day and I loved the polish this remaster had, minus the terrible servers when I played.

Imo D2 is still the best game in the franchise.

I’ll probably still come back and replay it one day in the future even just for nostalgic sake.

1 Like

have you actually played the past week?
There are complaint-threads all over the place regarding rubberbanding and lag in game

i just got to lvl 97 in HC. servers aren’t THAT bad. ya they have issues. but if you log off when you think it’s sketch, it’s better than “powering through” .

while i do feel bad for anyone who does die to server issues. you can usually dodge it.

they can go from perfectly fine to rubberbanding hell in a jiffy.
So bad that you repeatedly rubberband even in town.

I definitely had issues back when I played HC. I lost my last 2 characters to disconnects. I’d agree with you if there was signs that issues were happening beforehand, but the weird thing is it frequently happened completely out of nowhere. Like I’d be having absolutely 0 lag whatsoever, and then 1 second later just get booted out of game all of a suddent and be told I was disconnected. I ended up downloading a program to monitor my internet service so I could determine if it was my own ISP and nope, it would happen even when there was 0 drops in my own internet. This happened rather frequently too, I’d say between 3-10+ times per week. Whereas in the last couple years since I’ve played this game I think I’ve gotten disconnected maybe like… 2 times total give or take in every online game I’ve played combined :laughing:

This was just my experience though. Online games that I played during the 90s and very early 2000s were pretty brutal for disconnects, and it’s not terribly unusual to see some games be super bad on release for the first few weeks when traffic for the game was at its highest, but the remaster D2 I played a good chunk after release and it’s by an insanely large margin the worst game I ever had for connectivity issues in probably the last 10-15ish or so years. It’s a shame because I really do like Diablo 2 HC mode quite a bit, but I’m unsure if I’d ever want to risk doing it again with the amount of time I’ve lost to a mere disconnect. I do understand those are risks you accept when making a HC character, although there’s something about losing a character to a disconnect out of nowhere that definitely feels like it goes against the essence of trying to see how far you can go on your own skill.

1 Like

hey i’m not trying to say the servers are A ok ! not at all. in fact i would argue the opposite. if they are running a HC game with no rollbacks, but have trash servers for it. it’s a bit frustrating hah.

on season 0. so like FRESH d2:r. i got my infinity, griffon. got into my FIRST game, and died 15 minutes in cuz DDOS. so i get it. lost another one cuz i accidently left game in a fire in cata 4. and i lagged out and i died in the fire.

Just type /fps and create a new game if you feel rubberbanding within the first few ports. If you keep going and die, you can’t blame nobody else.

Which part of

or

don’t you get?

It’s fine for me, and I’m literally in south america.

Read again. 20 characters

Interesting. Good for you. :slight_smile:
(not meant in any snarky way)