How Next Delay Impacts Martial Arts (an essay)

There would be half failed hit when Dragon tail kicks continually.
Really terrible.

nhd is definitely not a hardware limitation, all the missiles are still drawn, it just prevents certain monsters from being hit…
nhd is necessary in specific cases, but making it shared amongst every ability (that has it) in the game, including party members, ruins a lot of skills (that have it)

3 Likes

Sorry, I mean: Sharing NHD for all missiles (if they have the same NHD length)

Thank you for posting this. It’s great information, and I agree with your suggestions. :+1:

I actually noticed this in-game and was like WTF do I have the feeling that my second wave of charges does nothing?!

Really good post and explanation, thank you. I think the NHD is a big detriment to the damage output of the MA assa. I am a Phoenix strike + CoT + FoF + BoI combo user and I can really see some damage is missing :frowning:

1 Like

Yup I tested several MA builds in hero editor. Even gave them gross gear. Noticed some of the damage wasn’t applying. I wasn’t big brain enough to be this thorough. So let’s hope to see these fixes rolled out either mid season or season 4.

1 Like

Can you create another topic about the Dragon Tail bug?
I tried to kick continually. often stuck there and cannot do any action for a while, it is really dangerous.

1 Like

I tried to kick continually. often stuck there and cannot do any action

what freaks me out is when I DTail a boss like meph, and then character is stuck (can’t move), then he yeets me. it happens really often - not sure if the bug is also on mouse+keyboard (I play controller). for this reason I’d never try ubers with DTail

I think this just restricts DTail to being a one-hi-KO skill for area farming, which it happens to be incredibly good at

no matter controller or keyboard&mounse.
I also tried quick cast and left/right button click.
All scenarios have the bug.

i made a bug report about it a while ago

4 Likes

i dont read from top seem pretty heavy for me, but i just sow on youtube title
dual mosaic p8 chaos by adam newman, it looks cool tho, but my eyes hurt so much

First of all, this demonstration is amazing! Thanks. It really shows what happens on the first few attacks.

If you have an 8 kick dragon talon and 2 attack dragon claw, what happens on the remaining attacks if you kill the monster on the first hit? Are charges and CTC on strike unleashed? I think not, right?

If they result in “misses”, I’d think dragon talon could face NHD and last collide issues on the first few kicks for specific charges and the last kicks might not do anything.

Personally, I hated having more than 3-4 kicks in dragon talon when doing a kicksin variant in the past because you kick at nothing if they die and you’re stuck in place and vulnerable.

What happens if the target dies and another walks into the path of the remaining kicks? Is that possible?

If nothing happens if the foe dies before finishing your kicks/claw attacks, I think 1 point in dragon talon might make a lot of sense. If you’re constantly having charges with mosaic anyway, the attack rating of higher skill talon isn’t helping and the damage is probably coming from your charges such as tiger strike or the elemental claw chargeups.

Additionally, tiger strike might be a bad idea for trash mobs as you might kill the main foe too quickly and not trigger as many charges for area of effect.

Of course, I haven’t timed the frames for dragon claw but it’s pretty fast and clearly would face less problems than an 8 kick dragon talon and doesn’t have the huge downsides of knockback and the “interesting rules” regarding what stats apply to kicks. Of course dragon tail has it’s own mechanics with immunes to fire or physical and also has the knockback and kick rules.

yes please. my favourite assa skill. well tie with Phoenix strike.

I think 1 point in dragon talon might make a lot of sense

I get that charge release skills “land” every time to release charges, but wouldn’t you need the kick to actually land in order to have Cobra Strike’s leech kick in (since it’s based on phys damage)? Therefore a level 1 DTalon would be too low AR to have cobra strike leech be reliable?

Finishers always land if you have charges. That came in the 2.4 I believe. Extra skill points in dragon talon add damage and AR. I believe the AR is not needed if you already have charges and the damage is not where you’re getting damage if you’re using tiger strike for physical damage and therefore leech.

If you’re at high dragon talon with 8 kicks and the first 2 kill the foe and the remaining 6 do nothing, I’d say 1 in dragon talon gets you back to 3-4 kicks and you’re moving around faster and keeping the finishers going.

EDIT: I haven’t tested these theories. I’m asking because I don’t know.

great post! devs need to take a look at this.

1 Like

May I quote your video into my post to another website (bilibili)? I will comment the author.
And where can I find the NHD test video for Fist of Heaven? I’m researching the chance to cause damage before the NHD timer starting…

I just designed a test:
target: Act2 lightning spire, Normal difficulty.
Both character and merc wear a 100%chance to cast lvl20 frost nova helmet. equip a weapon with lvl9 conv aura (make the lightning spire cold resist to 0).
keeping cast teleport to prevent any attack from Merc.
Once the lightning hit the character and Merc in the same time and before the NHD timer starting, the enemy could be eliminated by 2 frost nova (4F NHD). However, I failed.

sure u can use the video
foh’s next delay is actually disabled (i just thought it didn’t work). it has a value written for the next delay, but another column has to be marked for it to do anything. that column is not marked, so the next delay of foh is currently inactive.

1 Like

Amazing demonstration! Thanks.

There is one thing that is not clear to me, and I hope you would clarify it for me. Would a 4 frames per kick attack speed increase the overall dps of the charges affected by NHD? Or since the missiles travel at different speed, even at 4 frames per kick charges released by “kick 2” would still be affected by the NHD of charges released by “kick 1”?

(I hope my question was clear, English is not my first language).

the demonstrations in the videos show you inter-charge nhd compatibility. this exists no matter the speed you kick at, as each kick will activate all of them. but aside from that, when you start looking at inter-kick interactions, naturally a 3 frame kick would result in total nhd overlap between kicks. at 4, the nhd overlap is not total. there is still the nhd of whats demonstrated in the videos.

2 Likes