Grey Squares & Graphic Issues

Xbox One X

My graphics seemed to be glitched from day one. I get grey squares were lighting effects (such as flames or magic effects) should be displayed. This means I can’t see the ghosts in some levels and all magical attacks or trap effects or gone with only grey squares running along the ground where the attack or effect should be lighting it up.

Everything does show up properly in legacy graphics but I feel like that takes out one of the reason I bought this version. It is a visual masterpiece in most cases (compared to the original game) and I would like to keep viewing it as such.

1 Like

Use an external SSD and it solves all the loading times, rendering issues etc. In short HDD in older gen consoles can’t offer the information quick enough. Even a cheap £30 128gb external SSD off Amazon improves your load times insane amounts, and you’ll get no stuttering or rendering issues. And that’s on an Xbox One S that I have 0 issues. Takes about 16sec to get to the character screen from the dashboard, 1-3 second moving acts via WP etc.

Also for the record, before hand when I teleport at full speed, the game would just look like grass, then when I stop 3-5seconds later the mobs and landscape would render and end up in fhr lock :joy:. Now at full speed, everything is there in real time.

I did go get an external Ssd. It did improve load times by a lot but I still have the grey squares. Any way I can share a picture to show you what I mean?

After having looked into this a little deeper, I found this:

Try following the steps provided, if it doesn’t help, your only remaining options would be to try a different HD cable, or failing that you make need to replace your HDMI out port on your Xbox itself. Try the steps all the way through, hopefully one of them solves your issue without having to send it off for a replacement port.

Keep me updated and I’ll keep trying to help how I can bud

EDIT: it won’t let me use links so, Google this exactly : Glitching screen - black squares - Xbox community

This issue exists on next gen consoles too. PS5 version has tons of graphical glitches, including black squares, no animations, no lights, FPS drops etc. It is not primarily a disk reading speed issue, while this will help a lot to minimize graphical glitches, core problem is poor game optimisation. Forcing players to buy an external drive is not a solution anyway lol.

Disc read is only an issue when reading off a disc. Also I don’t work for blizzard, and if you look through the threads on here, SSD have solved 95% of all console issues, so it’s a good suggestion, especially as it has multiple uses.

And granted we shouldn’t have to get one to solve it, but old hardware needs help, last gen users can’t complain at a cheap fix that gives them next gen speeds.

When I said disk reading I meant reading data from hard disk drive. This game didn’t even came out on disc, it’s digital only. Anyway, don’t confuse the two.

Like I said, PS5 still has all these graphical issues despite having top specs SSD.

Again, I agree that replacing prev gen HDD with some SSD will help a lot, but it it’s NOT a solution. Firstly, it will minimize but not eliminate the problem. Secondly, this game was developed for prev gen consoles so consumers should absolutely not have to do that.

Game devs did a poor job optimising D2R, and to think two 7gb patches did absolutely nothing to solve these issues is outrageous.

I’m fairness the PS5 SSD isn’t top spec, it’s behind Xbox X and Western digital but that’s neither here nor there. I’m not defending the poor optimization, nor the other issues, all I’m doing is helping where I can as a fan of the game. And wether it SHOULD have to be done or not, the simple SSD solution worked for me and a bunch of others. Like I said to them, it will also help on Destiny 2 etc (shockingly bad load times on ALL older gen).

Don’t get me wrong we shouldn’t have to do it, but the fact there’s something in our power to change, is nice. As like it or not we can shout from the rooftops for hours about this game, and little to nothing will change.

So I’m all for changing what I’m able to change without relying on a firm that lets be fair, has fallen from grace massively from their hay day when D2 and Warcraft were released.

Also the black/grey squares are a common issue with Xbox one X and S, so if there’s a chance his console is suffering from those issues, I provided a link to try and help eliminate a possible cause.

Either way I hope op gets the experience he wants and paid for, as I do for all of us. But as blizzard is quiet, I’ll try and help as many as I can because despite the current poop show, I don’t want the game to die lol

Fair enough, all in all it’s a good advice to buy an SSD.

It just makes my blood boil that this is what we have to do while one of the biggest game companies in the world remains quiet on their own forum or Twitter, or other social medias.

What was the beta for if servers crash every day. What where the patches for if they fixed nothing. Why patch notes consist of 2 sentences and give absolutely no details. Why is the core of this game, multiplayer, non existent on consoles. Why was this game released in this state. All we get is occasional “thank you for your patience” and that’s an insult.

It’s the fact it’s a daily issue at the same times, how can they not have found the issue? When I was younger I ran private servers for mmo games, and we never had this issue! It’s not hard to identify an error that occurs daily at similar times, it should be easy as all hell to find in the coding. Worse still of its DDOS or server overload, as even the servers we rented, we paid extra for DDOS protection and overflow servers to prevent these very issues.

If me and a rag tag team of people trying their hands at running a game could do it, I’m really failing to see how a massive company such as a blizzard is failing to identify and fix the issue.

But I’m guessing if the issue needs money to fix it, they won’t ever make the effort to pay out…