Graphics card heating

the only solution that i got was changing my monitor, before i have 27 inch qhd 1440p 165 hz monitor with rtx 2060 super and even at lowest settings gpu temp reaches 75 up, now i have 24inch 75hz 1080p monitor at max setings and temp wouldnt even reach 60… anywhere in map my temp max was only at 57 degress… now i wont have to worry about my gpu heating…

Something about the game running over 60 fps makes the GPU work extremely hard in areas with grass. I use the in-game limiter to 60 FPS, and my 1080 Ti is just fine. If I let it go to 120Hz (monitor refresh), it will easily reach 80 celsius in any areas with grass. Any areas without grass, the 1080Ti doesn’t break a sweat, even at 120fps.

The grass in this game is like a Furmark benchmark test, it punishes GPUs.

1 Like

You should have went with an AMD card instead! For some reason having Vsync turned on and limiting the FPS seems to help some individuals. You could try doing that on your 2k monitor.

75c on average is pefectly fine for your gpu. If you start pushing 85c+ consistently then I’d worry. Congrats on your downgrade.

3 Likes

75c is not that big a deal

3 Likes

i could actually hear my gpu fans cry… and game still looks good on 1080p 75 at max settings… with 55 to 57 degress im good… tahts actually 20 degrees lower… so im ok with it…

Yeah I just turned fps limiter to 60 and turned of lightning effects and it’s been running 20degrees cooler ever since. I dunno why it pushes gpus so hard. I’m running a laptop w a gtx 1080. Nothing special.

You could play at 1080p without changing the monitor.

But just cap them FPS and 60 or 120 and then temps should be fine. Not that 75 isn’t fine, but if your leaving it uncapped it’s heating up by running several hundred fps for no reason at times.

1 Like

80-85C is the target temp for modern nvidia cards

1 Like

It blows up my Nitro + 6900XT even. I’ll sit at 75c if I don’t limit fps to 60. The game is just not well optimized.

My AORUS 3090 Waterforce 24G is able to handle the game in 4K 120 fps without going above 55C.

Your GPU will process as many frames as possible. If I leave the game uncapped my GPU will gladly heat up running the game at 250FPS+ on max graphics.

That’s really not because it’s in optimized. It’s because the requirements are so low you have to limit the GPUs usage.

1 Like

Also the fact of rendering 2 times everything. One for legacy and one for hd.

The best advice is for cap 60ish or use your monitor hz value but with dynamic resolution, dlss and tricks like that.

That would prevent overheating. Also you could reduce the power % from your gpu and set a max temp to throttle paired with well done fan curves.

The vsync/60ish framelimiter often are easier to set up and requires less user intervention.

Your gpu will go as high your cpu can handle also. If you have a nice cpu your gpu will try to push itself to limits until be capped by cpu.

D2R easily most cpu can make gpus beat around 200-400fps. It’s doable even on gtx 1080.

The most required thing in the game often are about vram and it’s speed on that. Faster vram often doesn’t hurt at 4gb ish, but it’s recommended more for 1080p or more.

1 Like

27 inch monitor at 1080p and lowering to 60 fps looks bad…

I mean, it makes sense. You’re asking ALOT less of your card to push 75 frames at 1080 rather than try to push 165 frames at 1440.

If I walk to the convince store down the street it’s alot easier on my body than if I try to sprint there full speed while carrying a 100lb backpack.

I find that hard to believe since the game can only even render however many frames your monitor refresh can support. The best I can imagine your 27” monitor refresh is like 240hz.

I have a 244hz gaming monitor and I barely notice any change from capping my frames at 244 or 60 when it comes to d2r.

1 Like

Maximum manufacturers operating temperature for the RTX 2060 is 88 degrees

cooling systems cannot lower the temperature below ambient air temperature. you’d need a refrigeration unit lol

How do people check their temperature

A thermometer up the bum typically works for anyone under the age of 5… or are you asking about video cards? Use any number of free tools… hwmonitor is typically used for hardware monitoring of your pc.

Can use programs like HWMonitor for free.
you can see everything like your fan speeds along with every thermocouple readout.

this is what everyone uses