Game Crashes During Ancients Fights

I’ve tried to get past NM Ancients about a dozen times now, and every time the game crashes either right upon entering the Arreat Summit map, right after activating the ancients, or right before killing one.

Running total of crashes in NM: 19.

UPDATE: Just crashed, again, twice in a row.
UPDATE 2: Ran some NM Meph, Pendle, Andy, Eldritch for awhile. Tried again…crashed again twice.
UPDATE 3: Game crashed twice, and on the third time IT DIDN’T CRASH!!! Finally! It only took 19 times! I’m only counting crashes, not legit deaths/failures.

same here but at the same time battle.net close when d2r crash at arreat summit

Yeah, this is a game-killer bug. I can not get past NM ancients. It crashes every time.

Yeah I just created a new post about it as well. Happens every single time now. I haven’t tried offline as I don’t have a character in single player at the ancients quest, but every online time I try it, without fail it crashes me to the desktop. Just letting you know you’re not alone.

I was able to successfully complete the Ancients quest by letting the dialogue play out 100%. Any skipping of the dialogue crashes me to desktop. Try that and see if it works.

False hope. Keep trying to help a friend. Crashes every time.

It only took 19 times to get my Barb past NM ancients. It only crashed once during Hell ancients, and that’s because I got fed up and gave up the idea of doing it solo, so I just had someone else kill the ancients faster than the game could crash…it still crashed once, right after summoning them.
I’m now stuck with my Sorc, trying once again to get past Ancients, this time in normal. The game has already crashed twice.

Day before new ladder and game still crashes during ancients. i tried letting dialogue play out. over 20+ crashes. in hell mode. took countless crashes to complete nightmare mode. ive tried reinstalling game in a new folder, etc. still crashes. i need help!

I had the same issue, but I managed to complete this challenge.
The key idea is to minimize CPU/GPU load as much as possible.
This is what worked for me:

• once you enter Arreat Summit, preload everything, meaning: Cast the spells, and explore the territory.
  • once you click on Altar of the Heavens, allow to play it at least for a few seconds.
  • once a battle starts, try to stay calm for at least 1-2 seconds, then move to the bottom corner, and start the fight. The idea is to avoid seeing a center circle, in order to avoid loading new animations when ancients are killed.

Hope that helps, but this is definitely a bug that should be fixed.

If somebody is still struggling with this issue i have found a simple solution: switch to legacy mode before entering Arreat summit. Use whatever summons/skills you want, the game will not crush. Kill the ancients, proceed for good measure to the next location, and switch upgraded graphics version back on. Easy peasy.

1. Switch to legacy mode before entering Arreat summit
  2. Defeat the Ancients, use any magic or summons you want, the game will not crush
  3. Proceed to next area
  4. Turn upgraded graphics back on
    5 you are welcome :slight_smile:
1 Like