Game becomes completely unplayable for an nintendo account when the linked battle.net account is deleted/marked for deletion

Here is how to reproduce it:

1. Start D2R on the switch and connect the blizzard account with your nintendo account.
  2. Delete your Battle.net account
  3. Start D2R again

The game won’t be able to connect to the server properly and throws an unknown error. This is necessary even for an offline session (as far as my testing can tell), which resolves in the game not being able to start at all.

Troubleshooting I tried:

1. Reject the Battle.net permissions from the nintendo account - didn’t work, was promped to accept them again when starting the game. That’s all you can do from your nintendo account so I can assume that this is on blizzards site.
  2. Reactivate the battle.net account and unlink the nintendo account from there - the only thing that worked. I don’t know what would have been if my account was already deleted for good.

That implies that the battle.net account remains linked with the nintendo account even after deletion and I assume that delinking the accounts in the process of deleting the account would solve the issue. Afterall the game becomes completely unplayable for that nintendo account, which is unacceptable considering that the game was purchased for a fee.

PS: D3 worked fine after account deletion, I guess because it’s not crossplay?
edit: typos
edit2: I forgot to mention that, after reproducing this, you will not be promted to link a battle.net account. This will not happen prior to unlinking your nintendo account via battle.net

1 Like