Forgot how much Act 3 sucks

So, after years of not playing Diablo 2 (I used to play the original a decent bit back in the day, usually with mods), I started a playthrough not too long and I just arrived in Act 3, and…

WoW, holy crap. Like I knew that Act 3 was the worst part of the game before going in, but I forgot how much it sucks compared to the rest of the game.

It’s a giant maze, and you have to cover every tiny corner of the map, the enemies are super annoying like the tiny little guys who can run across the screen in 2 seconds flat, their shamans can take you from 100% down to 10% life in 2 seconds flat with their overpowered flame spit.

The dungeons have traps that are constantly triggered instead of just triggered once and they just spew poison gas everywhere constantly, you can’t even check items laying on the ground, because you’re continually setting off the stupid traps even if you’re standing still.

The waypoints are annoying to actually find until you finally get to Lower Kurast, and I’m not looking forward to fighting 5 (I think it was?) bosses simultaneously near the entrance to the final dungeon, and I’m having trouble remembering where the frick some of these dungeons are to get the parts to make the flail.

I simply can’t wait until I get to act 4. Strange that literal Hell is easier (except for Diablo himself of course) and more pleasant than some random jungle in the world, lol. At least here in a couple levels I can make a King’s Grace (I’mma use a war scepter once I get someone to sell me a 3 socketed one) and once I get to act 4, laugh at the puny demons that get in my way.

1 Like

Act 3 isn’t that bad, once you know the trick is just to go in an upper right direction. Doesn’t work 100% of the time, because sometimes the forks can be a bit confusing/misleading.

The Great Marsh can typically be avoided, as there is usually a direct link between Spider Forest and the Flayer Jungle.

As far as finding the waypoints/points of interest…. Follow the walls along the way and investigate any shaman openings.

Most of the time the biggest annoyance is going around or finding the crossing over the streams, unless of course you have leap or teleport.

Play through act 3 enough instead of waiting for a rush like most did and you too will find act 3 easier than you thought.

1 Like

The only really annoying part is how Spider Forest and Great Marsh don’t always lead to Flayer Jungle in the most straightforward way. After that though, the rest of the act is comfortably linear…

2 Likes

I never said I was a “pro” or even “experienced”. I said that I played the original Diablo 2 years ago “a decent bit”.

That was more than 10 years ago. I’m supposed to remember all of that stuff? Heck I can’t even remember how some of the quests are triggered (or what the quests even are/what they want), it’s been that long.

But do keep up with the name-calling and condescending attitude. Apparently you want a forum vacation. I’ll be happy to help provide you with one.

I really like the vibe of act 3. The layout of the forest is definitely a bit weird and counter-intuitive, but after that, the lower kurast and travincal maps and dungeons are pretty cool. Dolls are definitely a HC character killer if you aren’t careful though.

@Agni, don’t worry about TrollHabits. Any replies to him is you putting your keyboard through unnecessary abuse. Just flag and move on.

Yeah getting past the forest areas can be pretty annoying but once u are through those the rest is decent, i do however hate the dolls in durance of hate they are pretty deadly for some builds

1 Like

Dolls are annoying but I’m so used to using my a2 mercs to always tank them. The random sometimes unexpected souls in a3 when i have no lightning res is my issue :laughing:

1 Like

Yeah the souls :smiley: they usually only show up in great marsh though and i usually try to avoid this area if i can

1 Like

Next Time

Make sure you buy a teleport charged staff from Ormus. Keep resetting his inventory by going outside of town. He’ll eventually offer one, and should only take 10 min at most to be for sale, when using my system. And so, a fast way to do that is to set up a tp just outside town and constantly run outside of town and into the town portal and back to Ormus.

An even faster way to reset Ormus is to use a second character’s tp that is set up just outside of town as well, and instead of running outside of town, run into that tp and return using your character’s tp. Just make sure the second character in not in Act 3’s town, because if it is Ormus’ inventory will not reset.

Wear Stealth armour and the fastest run/walk boots you can find, and if playing a Paladin make sure to activate Vigor. Rune Word Stealth armour is Tal rune + Eth rune in that order. Make sure it’s made in a 2 open socket grey titled (non ethereal) armour. Always check both of Ormus’ weapons tabs.

Tele staffs will cost between $15K and $500K, and they are cheap to repair.

Have the staff on switch, and tele across the rivers, through walls and away from monsters you don’t want to deal with.

I won’t say much on this as others have shared, but always stick to one side, and when you leave town for the first time go left and right to see if the Flayer Jungle spawns directly at the entrance of town.

When you go into the areas that have the two pillars do a complete run around the walls of the area to see if the area spawns with a back door/second entrance. Sometimes these second entrance lead to another area.

As for the Shaman and their Flayer kin, use an Ancient’s Pledge shield (Ral + Ort + Tal in grey titled [non ethereal] shield) or use a socketed shield with rubies to help get your fire res up to about 50.

An additional option, if you’re really struggling with killing them, is to use a cold Iron Wolf (hopefully the D2R devs didn’t break him). He’ll freeze them all. Just make sure you give him a Stealth armour for the Faster Cast Rate (fcr). A cold Iron Wolf with all FCR gear is fun to use on the Flayer.

You can get all the runes you need from /player 1 Countess runs in Act 1. Cube up 3 Ral runes for your Ort rune to make Ancient’s Pledge. Don’t farm the countess in a multiplayer game if you goal is getting runes from her. And don’t let your merc kill her. Buy all the socketed gear from Fara in Act 2.

If tldr: You’re missing out.

What character and build are you using?

Starting in NM and increased in hell, they have a high probability of showing up in lvls 1 and 2 of the Flayer Dungeon. And not that anyone goes in, but they are almost always in both lvls of the Swampy Pit in all 3 difficulties.

If you are on normal coming back for the first time or starting a new ladder. Go run the tower and countess abou 10 to 20 times. Stop when you get 4 ral runes. 3 tal runes cube up to a ral. Go shop act 2 vendors find a normal 3 socketed shield. Put 3 ral runes in cube make an ort rune. Put Ral, Ort, Tal in shield. ( ancients pledge) 45 all resist. Act 3 is mow trivial. Still tedious but not difficult. You are welcome

I used to feel the same way.

Anything can kill you - you already pointed out the shamans, a a melee I always feared dolls in the flayer dungeon, sewers and Durance of hate.

As previously mentioned a Teleport staff and a RalRal Helm may remedy some of your pain, but just … some.

Did my feeling change over the time? Yes! I really appreciate the soundtrack of Act III, the XP those groups of swarming Flayers in the Flayerjungle offer, the gloom atmosphere of Kurast leading up to Travincal. And in case you get a feel of the map layout of Spider Forest, Black Marsh and Flayer Jungle, you’ll even miss the times that those areas felt like endless mazes.

So, all the best to you and safe adventures

Act 3 is the best act in the game

I understand the OPs concern. I used to also always hate act 3 in the days of D2:LoD. Now, I don’t mind it as much, I’d argue act 2 is almost more of an annoyance.

I think it’s just a mindset shift, I’m more about having fun with the game instead of steam rolling. Maybe approach act 3 with a real “RPG” mindset. Think to yourself, “Ok, I am getting into a huge jungle, full of unknowns and danger”, and you might have more fun just killing stuff. I mean, jungles are hard to navigate, they did a decent job there.

I think the LOD days have still carried a stigma over to people nowadays about act 3. Are you trying to have fun, or just want to “get there”? Or, get there while having fun? Honestly, I’ve ran through the game so many times now in D2:R, I really do believe act 2 is longer and can get more tedious, per se.

Anyways, I hope maybe this helps, just get your mind in the mood, and enjoy yourself!

2 Likes

As a player who never rushes his heroes, I consider act 3 being the best act. It’s the only non-linear area in the game, and I really love the setting and atmosphere.

I think the hate comes from the fact that this act takes the longest time to get rushed through.

But really, the ugliest part of the game is maggot lair, period.

1 Like