FOH paladin is actually OP as hell and should not go live in this state

Easy mode on P1 that still requires two casts sometimes to kill stuff in chaos runs with good gear, imagine running a Fohdin in P8 lobbies, he’ll only be useful for the conviction aura and maybe only wave 2 in baal runs.

4 Likes

Good.

Also, the devs should not be basing balancing decisions around subcommunities with only fractions of the player base playing them; like pvp and hc.

4 Likes

I don’t think it is OP. With HC ladder just recognize getting to 99 as a paladin anyways isn’t as big of a achievement as say a barb.

4 Likes

I have to agree with Zelderon, he knows what he is talking about OP. FOH is a fun build and we should welcome that to his already amazing kit. Op you are coming of as hateful and jealous, not sure why you would want to bring down a fun build… If players want to play the game a certain way, let them. I would never tell you to play a certain way unless you asked me for my opnion.

8 Likes

That is exactly what should happen.

3 Likes

I don’t disagree, I think the game would be better off if all the “OP” builds were brought down just a little bit.

But that’s not what is happening. So I am opposed to nerfing a build that is not quite as strong as the OP builds that are being allowed to stay in the game.

3 Likes

This is part of the problem though right… Blizzard is listening to us when they’re making decisions on what parts of the game to change. Why aren’t we all trying to push for a game that’s actually got some integrity in the PvM experience? If we’re making things easy for players 8, what does that say for the players 1 experience?

This is not really a reply to you specifically but something for everyone to think about.

2 Likes

I truly believe that Blizzard want P8 to be a viable playing environment for players to play together. I don’t mean all players playing together in one area as more builds excel at movement speed over others. I mean that me and my friends should be able to split farm act bosses in a competitive and fun way. Rinse and repeat. With the way Blizzard is buffing all skills, more classes and builds are becoming more viable for the competitive meta.

1 Like

Based on d2jsp trading volume, HC makes up about 1/4 of the d2 playbase. I’d wager that at least as many people use pvp as part of their SC endgame. These are not tiny fractions of subcommunities - these two groups combined account for around half of the player base.

Not to mention that SC PVM is about as exciting as preparing oatmeal. I don’t know how any amount of balancing could make that more fun. Might as well balance the parts of the game that don’t feel like solving captcha puzzles. (teasing ofc - I want everyone to have a great time!)

4 Likes

i always wondered what the real numbers are. in ptr 2.4 season 2 there were around 8k people in softcore (at least the ladders last page was that number), hardcore was at around 880. dont know how representative that is.

Not to mention that SC PVM is about as exciting as preparing oatmeal

once you go hardcore you can never go back. not even for pvp. in lod hardcore people adapted by switching to lld (at least in europe), since it is cheaper and the loss is not as hard, compared to a lvl 90+.

“no u”. Which of my expressions “came of as hateful and jealous”? it’s all in your head man, control your emotions and separate them from the discussion.

I like how this build plays, i want it to exist. I will play this build myself and I want some challenge, rather than being able to clear CS in a sleeper mode with the very basic starter gear. Allowing this build in the current state will contribute to the power creep - other may become another “benchmark” to buff other stuff, which i do not want.

I never said that the build should be made unplayable, it just needs a nerf because it is above what I consider “balanced” for a character that barely has any gear. The build is too safe to deal the AoE DPS that it does.

One other thing i’ve realized is how far the holy bolts fly. You can shoot off-screen stuff with them.

Something like limiting the number of bolts on FOH or removing limiting the travel time\distance of holy bolts or increasing the mana costs will be a nerf enough. Actually, I really like the mana cost path - lvl 1 FOH is really prohibitive, but once you get higher level, get some mana and insight, FOH mana cost becomes insignificant. Let the mana cost increase by 0.66 per level or smth.

1 Like

I am not your psychologist and you are not remunerating me for educating you on why you are coming off as hateful and jealous. I gave you my feedback and it’s up to you to self-reflect or disregard and move on.

Thats not how I see it. To my understanding, and this is my opinion, FOH is a steppingstone that allows the Paladin to transition from different build power levels to reach his ultimate over 9000 magic damage blessed hammers :joy:

Thats an awesome opinion. I fully support your right to voice it. I respectfully disagree with it though and so do other popular streamers. I am ok with Blizzard deciding what is best for this class.

The rest of your post discusses applying nerfs to range, resource costs and limiting the damage of the skill. Again, you are welcome to self-impose limitations to your own play style but don’t force it on others because of how you “feel” it should be.

This is not an Esports game, if someone wants to play a fantasy character like Thor that smashes demons with godlike abilities, let them enjoy this playstyle. It does not affect me in anyway. I am not losing money; I am not losing sleep and I am happy that players can enjoy a well-rounded character like the Paladin. Trust that Blizzard knows what they are doing, this team has a good track record.

I mean… the FOHdin is STILL going to be weaker at farming than a blizz sorc (By a lot). It is probably the SECOND strongest farming class, but… yea thats okay.

1 Like

HC is probably 10% of the overall population. HC players are the more experienced players and probably more likely to trade vs the SC players. You need to get to a level of competence with the game before you make it out of Normal in HC. This breads a tendency to trade and get what you need to survive through any options you have.

tbh i find the hybrid builds much more concerning. they skip out on holy shock & convictivon (it only does single target damage) and only need like 40 pts to finish the build. leaving them with something like a 50% dmg hammerdin to work with, while having 100% holy bolt damage. 50% of a 15.k is still alot of hammer damage to overcome the animals.
a simple solution would be to move some of the holy bolt damage (like 33% or so) from 1 synergy to the other. like holy shock also doint a + 5% HB damage, and substracting that from the holy bolt synergy.
here is what i mean

Cooley also mentioned that in a new pvp build

1 Like

FOH is not close to OP - If we are going to Nerf that then nerf javas, bliz sorcs, hdin, traps, etc… its idiotic to think that a class that does well in p1 to p3 is OP. Should we nerf necro corpse explosion too? Be realistic, we need more builds, we need uniques reworked to not be 95% useless, and we need harder content (This is different than having variety of classes that can play). If the devs are not creative, the game will die, and knock offs like PD2 will continue to thrive (They do a lot of things right and keep a player base).

4 Likes

Dropping them hard facts! :wink:

2 Likes

I agree very much with OP… FoH has been improved substantially now that it damages demons… FoH’dins will be king of all Act 4 areas, which to my knowledge have no animals… City of the Damned + River of Flame + Chaos Sanctuary will be a very nice farm run for them…

I think FoH would be more balanced if the cooldown was closer to the original 1s… PvP community will be very happy about this… My opinion is FoH’din should be using holy bolts and FoH together, like the Blizzard Sorceress uses Blizzard and Ice Bolt together to achieve maximum DPS…

Too many builds in D2R focus on only pressing one button… FoH’din would be more balanced if it was a two-button skill, that rewards skilled players more who can manage two skills at a time… I think the DPS will be similar to what it is now if people cast holt bolts during the FoH cooldown, this is the best way to balance FoH.

Auto-target spells should not be spammable… I think the only way the 0.4s cooldown would be considered fair would be if the auto-aim was removed and it was made into a skill that needed to be targetted manually to be effective :+1:. You could also remove the auto-aim from the holy bolts spawned by FoH, and introduce some mechanics that reward players for targeting FoH using their experience and skill as a player…

I play fire druid, and imagine if my volcanoes, boulders, fissures, and Armageddon rocks automatically targeted the mobs like FoH does? Can you make my spells auto-aim too please and give them 0.4s cooldown? Thanks :+1:

2 Likes

River can have maggots so you’re gonna need a tele staff to make chaos runs efficient half the time (until you’re out of budget gear and have enigma).

3 Likes

No way!
But I gonna agree with that if Blessed Hammer gonna get 1s cast delay too.