Female Hero Models

A dead horse, I know. But nothing changes if the conversation stops, and it does just bother me about the game. The hero model is what you’re staring at the entire time you’re playing (for the most part), and it’s important.

Blizzard showed us D2R with the original Amazon / Assassin models, and they looked fine. I can’t post a convenient link to it, even though there is literally a tool to allow you to post links in the dashboard, but: the imgur / is RYV947b.png

To start with a positive note, I really like basically every other change about the game. I won’t comment on the male hero models, I don’t really play them. But as a female player I really didn’t see anything wrong with how they were portrayed in classic. Especially the Sorceress. I significantly preferred her body model in the original Diablo 2. It was a little more revealing and cuter, sure, but it still fit the aesthetic all the same and was harmless.

Blizzard/VV/others are exaggerating biiig time when they call them supermodels or dressed as if they’re at a night club. I’m sorry, but refer to games like Black Desert Online to see that sort of thing ACTUALLY portrayed with their female characters. Micro-dresses, mini skirts, high heeled stilettos, stockings, makeup, lingerie, everything you can think of. So please stop with that complete and total utter silly nonsense.

Diablo 2 set the tone and standard for grim dark ARPG’s and nobody made these kinds of comments about the females before. The game is rated M. There are plenty of exposed enemy female models in the game. It’s part of the aesthetic.

And I’m not just referring to the faces. I understand the “BuT tHe FaCeS aRe CoVeReD bY a hElMeT aNyWaY” argument (though I still disagree this makes it ok to have changed them). The changes to the body models impacted how all of the armors look on those classes as well, significantly. It just feels a little weird. This idea that female characters must be portrayed more masculine to “fit” in a demon slaying game, says who? They fit in just fine as they were in the original, and they would fit in even better in the remastered.

My mind cannot be changed. Rant over.

90 Likes

Welcome to Woke Murica. No female depiction is allowed to be attractive as it will make unattractive women with zero motivation to improve themselves feel bad.

I’m surprised they aren’t land whales with blue hair and gauged ears too, honestly.

All the dudes still have to look yoked AF though.

87 Likes

I agree. I can understand new games wanting to portray their characters in a way to relate to a certain audience. But don’t mess with a 20 year old game’s aesthetic. Leave the female characters as they were meant to be.

29 Likes

i blame the zoom feature lol

~ checks the current year ~

but yeah, they went through all the trouble of rebuilding the map details and even adding extra ground clutter but at the same time all the ladies now have more coverage. you can see they chose to draw skin color as pants or clothing items in the updated version. lol

very…Nintendo friendly…

8 Likes

Wait for mods, there is already a mod changing the Assassin’s face.

7 Likes

You have to realize that Blizzard is in California. The progressive liberal cesspool of the US. Big Tech and censorship. They don’t like free speech, nor do they like only 2 genders. They love pushing the trans community over there as if it’s some massive statistic of the entire population.

49 Likes

This is utter BS, in RL there are all kind of people not only “good” looking people based on what the society finds to be “good looking”.

I rather see more realistic chars than something like a barbie doll model imposed just because you don’t like how it looks. I wonder if you really think a fighter that get punched in the face permanently by demons and monsters should look like a barbie

when was the last time you saw a man being said, you are too fat, either lose weight or lose your job? That crap does happen to women, looks matter in RL they shouldn’t in a PC GAME

3 Likes

Are you guys aware that they removed all the harem girls in the Act 2 Palace as well? I believe ideology and the multiple lawsuits were the main reasons for the ugly branch treatment. It may have also influenced their chat censorship and character naming rules. Try saying Seen in chat, or making an online character named Sean, and you will see Blizzards new stance on profanity.

22 Likes

It’s part of the trust system the Blizzard forums use, you need to be trust level 3 to post images and links to other websites which takes awhile. Since it doesn’t seem to be explained on the D2 forums here is a link to a WoW forum sticky that explains it:

3 Likes

diablo has always been a big target for special interest groups. one could argue it helped sales of the game back in the day.

but that was back when they had control of the game, as in they where the ones to offer it. but once you plug-in consoles and phones to the equation – now we’re getting into all kinds of stuff related to how they want their brand to be seen by the customer.

don’t you guys not have phones?
:stuck_out_tongue:

like have you seen doom 64?

2 Likes

God knows it is nice to read something from a mind of reason and rationality. You have my full support, Amandadanda.

11 Likes

When was the last time you saw a fat male model there bud. Or how about a fat guy on the cover of GQ being called the sexiest man alive? There a fat dude modeling Underwear in Times Square for CK right now?

Nobody cares about fat dudes bit everyone trips over themselves to lie to fat women and gas them up.

More to the point, the Barbarian is LITERALLY, LITERALLY Dave Bautista.

The Amazon and Assassin look like horrifying mashups of Lena Dunham and post-psychosis Ellen Page. The Sorc somehow got away looking halfway decent still at least.

21 Likes

agreed, but I haven’t seen any female players complaining about how the male characters don’t look like brad p** or Leo DiC**. I don’t see why us men should complain about how female chars look like.

It just shows how supperficial people are today demanding “sexy” chars in games lol, isn’t it enough in RL to impose beauty standards that we need to take that into games too?

4 Likes

Because by and large, women don’t play video games. They aren’t the target audience. Men are.

This isn’t in dispute. That’s why this woke BS baffles me. Companies literally destroying beloved products to placate a demographic that will never be a reliable customer base is asinine

23 Likes

don’t care if they are “sexy” or not just how accurate was the old game replicated kinda thing

6 Likes

exactly why blizzard got in trouble for that kind of thinking. The world won’t change if you don’t start by changing yourself, go read gandhi and other cultural crap

1 Like

Who said sexy? Again you are exaggerating. Something can be visually appealing / halfway attractive without having to use the word “sexy”. Sexy is the nightclub look. Nobody is asking for that. Plus, again, it’s the aesthetic from the original game. We’re not asking for something new here.

11 Likes

Change for the sake of change is not inherently a good thing. You need to understand that.

13 Likes

Agreed but you won’t get more women to play games if you keep up this bs attitude

3 Likes

What attitude? “There is nothing wrong with having attractive female characters in games and when a game is remade it should maintain the previous visual aesthetic.” ?

What’s the problem with this attitude?

24 Likes