Failed to initialize graphics device

Are you getting the same errors?

Me and my friend have AMD, we’re getting the same thing you’re getting

This topic has 5.3k views rn, so it is a common problem. I wouldn’t read technical support forums if I could play the game, so it is ok to assume all these views came from people with the same issue. We are not alone)

2 Likes

The results seem to be the same but the cause of it may be different. Every system is different and the circumstances where errors / crashes happen are also different.
I am currently troubleshooting my problems with the technical support while providing necessary information. That way they can potientially find common problems over a variaty of systems. Its a win/ win situation after all.
Additionally i contacted Nvidia with the heat issue to get their advice and stance on the matter.

Been having this issue for days and been trying to solve with Blizzard support. I’ve gone through a number of suggestions (updated MB BIOS, used DDU to remove/reinstall display drivers). The only thing that works is if I use a different admin account on Windows, it launches fine from Battle.net launcher. I can launch the .exe just fine from either account as well. Really confused what’s going on with my main Windows account that is preventing me from moving forward via Battle.net

I have the AVX issue and can not launch the game but when I set it in compatibility mode windows 8, I have this error exact same error.

10/2 17:23:21.428 [Prism/4] [<>:0]: D3D12CreateDevice Failed
10/2 17:23:21.428 [Prism/4] [<>:0]: Unsupported API Backend
10/2 17:23:21.428 [D2Prism/5] [<>:0]: Fatal: failed to create device.
10/2 17:23:21.455 [D2Prism/4] [<>:0]: Available GPU vendor ID 4098 driver version 656764l device name AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series
10/2 17:23:21.455 [D2Prism/4] [<>:0]: Available GPU vendor ID 5140 driver version 1247871522l device name Microsoft Basic Render Driver
10/2 17:25:50.296 [D2Win/5] [<>:0]: Fatal failure during initialization.

tried everything, no luck :disappointed:

10/2 17:23:21.455 [D2Prism/4] [<>:0]: Available GPU vendor ID 4098 driver version 656764l device name AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series

Can you post your graphics card name?

I am having the exact same issue.
I have 8 G RAM and an AMD Radeon HD 7500M/7600M Series

I tried:
Upgrade all drivers
Deinstall driver, download and reinstall fresh driver
Run .exe directly from directory

Nothing worked.

10/2 23:28:55.613 [Prism/4] [<>:0]: D3D12CreateDevice Failed
10/2 23:28:55.613 [Prism/4] [<>:0]: Unsupported API Backend
10/2 23:28:55.613 [D2Prism/5] [<>:0]: Fatal: failed to create device.
10/2 23:28:55.650 [D2Prism/4] [<>:0]: Available GPU vendor ID 4098 driver version 656764l device name AMD Radeon HD 7500M/7600M Series
10/2 23:28:55.651 [D2Prism/4] [<>:0]: Available GPU vendor ID 5140 driver version 1247871522l device name Microsoft Basic Render Driver
10/2 23:29:02.309 [D2Win/5] [<>:0]: Fatal failure during initialization.

Having the same log. I updated the driver for the Microsoft Basic Render Driver, didn’t change anything.

UPDATE:

I managed to finally start the game. When clicking on the GPU Driver update inside your device manager you can “manually search for drivers on your windows”. After that “Choose from a list of available drivers for your devices on your computer”. He then gave me the option to “choose available hardware” – either update my AMD Radeon or this Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. I updated the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.
I don’t know if it really is the driver updating. It is more the change of the driving device. After doing the manual update this Mircosoft Basic Display Adapter is in the Device manager, my AMD IS NOT VISIBLE ANYMORE as a GPU. Then it works. I made screenshots…
The game starts, but it is extremely slow. I cannot even get through to the Options Menu to scale down graphics.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4crjk1xyfj0mq4y/AABvh5BzXlu65Nf3OzGYwsgKa?dl=0

sorry. All of my screenshots are in german.

1 Like

You can add links here if you paste it and highlight it. Use the </> to make it look like this.

thank you. screenshot link posted.

Unfortunately I have to give up. I requested a refund. I tried everything. Going back to old drivers, downloading new drivers, going through the AMD Settings. Nothing worked. The only way I was able to start the game can be found on my post from 2 hours ago. But this way the game will only start, not work. The Microsoft Basic Display Adapter cannot even handle the Menu obviously. If anybody finds a solution or if Blizzard somehow manages the issue let me know. Really wanna get some of that sweet sweet Assasine fire trap skills.

Radeon HD 6950
I know it’s quite old, but it should at least run the game with the lowest fps possible

As it looks like it’s below the minimum requirements. I really hate to say this.

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/compare/Radeon-HD-6950-vs-GeForce-GTX-660-vs-Radeon-HD-7850/36vs2152vs323

I see, but mine is pretty close. I could go down with the settings and see if it works together with my i7 and my 8 gb RAM on windows 10.
Why implementing this gatekeeper and stopping the game from starting at all?

I don’t work for Blizzard therefore i can’t be certain and just assume all kinds of things. It would be interesting to know why they did it but i doubt that they will go into much detail on this matter.

Do you think our problem could be fixed with this effort or are we talking about 2 entirely different issues?
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d2r/t/advanced-vector-extensions-issue-update-from-927/13306

I doubt that they will reduce the minimum requirements for GPUs or CPUs. The fix for the issue they are currently testing may have positive results for many players but it’s certainly not a given.
We’ll have to wait and see.

after 3 days of struggle i finaly got the game running.

i have a Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 Ti graphics card and the solution for me was downloading the newest drivers from the Nvidia site (actualization didn’t work)

in order to instal the drivers i also had to instal 2 windows updated.

after that the game started running even on win7.

Note that after the blizzard intro and the D2R intro i had a black screen with only the D2R logo in the low right corner of the screen and had to wait for the main menu for about a minute.

1 Like